Korg Radias

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Jerrythek

We're not trying to make a super low cost synth here, so trying to lump it into ION and SH-201 territory isn't realistic. It does MUCH more and it does cost more.

I don't think it's really fair to place the Radias on a higher rung than the Ion, just because it costs more. It may have more flexibility in some ways, but the Ion's got a big advantage in the filters, at the very least, and has set a new bar for what a VA should cost, given it's sound quality and relative strength in the field of current VA's.

Back to the Radias: 1,599 and 1699 street still seems high, for what you're getting. BUT, for those willing to WAIT, the prices will come down. They always do. :)

:wave:

• Members

Hey Jerry, Chill.

I asked the guy what the MSRP was and that is what he told me. The first post on this thread asked if was going to be an SH-201 killer, and I said no. I said it was much more than an ION or a SH-201. I believe that I said it was in a different league!

You said "Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?" Take off your condecending hat and I'll tell you to make a version like an ION. I don't believe that you will sell many at $1,695.00 street. For this box $1,100-1200 would be good.

I don't bash anybodys stuff and I buy everybodys. If you're really a Korg guy, get rid of the glib attitude, go have a drink and relax before you start flaming your customers.

Rick

• Members

Originally posted by SumDumGuy

At your place, seeing as I doubt that I will be getting one.
:D

I'll holla at Analogue Haven to see how soon these will be in stock as soon as NAMM is over.

Those cats are at the show right now. They handle my "Analog" needs.

The Radias and an the MC-808 will do it for me this year.

• Members

Originally posted by Keyrick

Hey Jerry, Chill.

I asked the guy what the MSRP was and that is what he told me. The first post on this thread asked if was going to be an SH-201 killer, and I said no. I said it was much more than an ION or a SH-201. I believe that I said it was in a different league!

You said "Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?" Take off your condecending hat and I'll tell you to make a version like an ION. I don't believe that you will sell many at $1,695.00 street. For this box $1,100-1200 would be good.

I don't bash anybodys stuff and I buy everybodys. If you're really a Korg guy, get rid of the glib attitude, go have a drink and relax before you start flaming your customers.

Rick

Good points. This is a prime example where an employee of company would serve their company better by not speaking at all. I'm guessing Jerry is not a PR guy.

• Members

You've got the pricing wrong - the street price will be around $1,699 for the keyboard, $1,599 for the rack, not the list price.

We're not trying to make a super low cost synth here, so trying to lump it into ION and SH-201 territory isn't realistic. It does MUCH more and it does cost more. Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?

(Chat amongst yourselves, I have to go right now - I'll check in again)

:-)

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

There is a low cost multi-oscillator VA version people it's called and Electribe MX .

If you want all the extra Filters / EG's / Modulation Options etc you pay more.

You people should really shut the F Up.

Especially those of you in the States who get consitantly great gear at stupidly low prices.

An electribe EMX-1 is $1799 Retail where I live.

MPC2500 - $2995

You won't get a Virus or a Nord 3 Keyboard for under 3K either and don't get me started on how much Yamaha gear costs.

It's the one of the reasons I sold all my hardware & got software.

As much as I love it , it's too expensive where I live.

I had to stopped work due to ill health .

Needed to consolidate debts / pay medical expenses etc.

Virtual was the cheaper option after all my hardware went.

I had a nice collection of KIT also.

I still miss hardware.

I still miss having a productive job and an income.

I miss being healthy and having a relatively NORMAL life.

I would trade places with most of you whiners in a heartbeat truth be told.

Atleast most of you have your health , have a job and a roof over your heads.

I have never seen so many NAMM whiners in all my life.

Seriously people get a grip it's only gear and not the end of the world.

Count your lucky stars you can even afford the gear you've got .

Many people have alot less in life.

Being unable to afford a $1600 synth is not one of lifes bigger problems either.

Get some perspective please would you and leave the guy alone !!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

We're not trying to make a super low cost synth here, so trying to lump it into ION and SH-201 territory isn't realistic. It does MUCH more and it does cost more. Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Hey guys.

Maybe he is actually serious. What would you like them to remove so the price can be lowered to the Ion mark? The more I read specs on the Radias the more I like it. First off. It will have more character to its sound than a Ion. The Ion is great at emulating but, does not have the bite of a MS2000 or EMX-1. The Radias has analog modeling, formant synthesis and PCM. It also has alot of great effects the Ion does not have and has way more polyphony. It seems to be nipping at the butt of a Virus not the Ion. I do agree the price is a little high and would rather see it hit the $1199 to $1299 mark.

Like I said earlier "It will be mine"

:thu:

• Members

You've got the pricing wrong - the street price will be around $1,699 for the keyboard, $1,599 for the rack, not the list price.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

You're calling $1200 "super low cost"? Well f**k me. :rolleyes:

Nice attitude, too. As if there haven't been enough reasons to dismiss Korg as a company that can give a damn about having customers. Perhaps you ought not to identify yourself as a "Korg Guy" because clearly PR is not your thing.

-signed

one of The Rest of Us

• Members

Originally posted by U&I

You people should really shut the F Up.

Especially those of you in the States who get consitantly great gear at stupidly low prices.

So you're saying you're jealous of our freedoms...

*ducks for cover as the tomato's fly*

• Members

We're not trying to make a super low cost synth here ...

so why is the jackfield in the wrong place?

btw, that's my only beef. this thing looks and sounds pretty good. i would like more details though on how some of the thicker-than-2-osc type sounds in the demos were made.

i'm still pissed about the jackfield.

• Members

That's too bad Jerry, for a moment reading that I was actually excited! I'm not even in the market for one of these, but at a street price of $1100-1200 I would probably bite. And I'm NOT a VA guy! Hope you all reconsider. If you do, come fall time when my business is busy, I'll buy one.

• Members

Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?

Jerry, after I saw the pics I thought it *was* the cut down version seeing as it still uses the dated Triton knobs and the basic MS2000 template.

Here's a hint: If you want to price your products above the competition and claim them to be "top of the line", stop using parts from the lower end Korg leftover bins.

• Members

Originally posted by burster1

Maybe he is actually serious. What would you like them to remove so the price can be lowered to the Ion mark? The more I read specs on the Radias the more I like it. First off. It will have more character to its sound than a Ion. ..

okay then..

first of all they should remove PCM section. they can cut down the polyphony (DSP power), even in the fx section.

make the cut-down version a specialty item - i could definetely live with 12 voices of this. esp since it has its own specific clear cutting character - not something i would put on all parts in a song anyway, but here n there. this is not meant to be a starter board anyway - so most likely target customer will have other boards beside this. 12 poly is fine..

3 octaves.

arghh, if hard pressed i could let go of the vocoder too, since i'm not too fond of digital vocoders (i like the virus one) , but its nice and very practical to have one on board - minimum cabling mess.

all hypothetically of course :D

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

So you're saying you're jealous of our freedoms...

*ducks for cover as the tomato's fly*

What the hell has "Your Freedom" got to do with ANYTHING .

Christ all Mighty :mad: .

I have a damn FREE life in Australia as is.

You all just bitch and moan about product price when most of your gear is close too 50% less street price than ALOT of other places in the world.

I see no reason why WE get SO RIPPED on price wise in this country.

4K+ for a Virus Keyboard.

Motif ES for 5K etc etc...

It's bull{censored}.

Global Markets and Business in a Global Economy should sell for the same price anywhere based on direct $ conversion.

Behringer DO IT.

Why can't everyone else ?????

We are closer too Japan & China.

Yet gear goes Japan -> America -> Australia + Customs / Duties and GST (gross stupidity tax) by which stage in alot of cases I could bought an airline ticket to the USA bought the goods , flown back paid the incoming taxes and still been better off.

Would you for example pay $1000 for Reaktor 5 ......ummm no I didn't think so.

Just be grateful for Godsake.

And I guarantee you...

If I gave you all my medical problems /expenses / income / health issues etc etc (which i wouldn't wish on anyone btw) then maybe you'll see that arguing over a synth is absolutely pointless.

If you can't afford it you can't afford it.

Pure and simple.

Whining about it wont change anything.

I could whinge all day like I am in this thread about {censored} in my life :p .

It still doesn't change the fact that it is the way it is.

Why bother engaging in exercises in futility.

You should be grateful.

Not throwing US supremo {censored} about your "liberty and freedom".

I have a pretty decent life all things concidered even on my limited income.

Try living here for a while.

You might find we have more "freedom" than you do.

• Members

Originally posted by U&I

What the hell-

Christ all Mighty
:mad:

damn

bitch and moan.

It's bull{censored}.

Just be grateful for Godsake.

arguing over a synth is absolutely pointless.

Whining about it wont change anything.

I could whinge all day like I am in this thread about {censored} in my life
:p

that it is the way it is.

Why bother

You should be grateful.

Not throwing US supremo {censored} about your "liberty and freedom".

ok then, I see the light!

*eats a vegemite sandwich*

• Members

Rick

he didn't flame anyone in his post, and his response was one of the more reasonable ones in this thread.

[edit: fixed bad markup]

• Members

Originally posted by syncretism

he didn't flame anyone in his post, and his response was one of the more reasonable ones in this thread.

[edit: fixed bad markup]

I gave what I thought was a fair evaluation of the product as I saw it. The first post of this thread asked if it was a SH-201 killer. I said it wasn't because it is so much more than that. I asked a Korg rep on the floor what the price was and reported it here. I said it probably wasn't for me because it can do way more than I need and that I could use something that cost less to achieve my goals. I didn't say anything bad about the product.

He said "We're not trying to make a super low cost synth here, so trying to lump it into ION and SH-201 territory isn't realistic. It does MUCH more and it does cost more."

I never tried to lump it in with other synths.

Then he said

"Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?"

For the rest of us? I could pay cash for an Oasys right now if I wanted to. So who are the "Rest of You" that he is talking about. It was arrogant and condecending and I called him on it. To me that was a flame.

I reported what I saw and heard and he asked me what kind of cheap synth he could make for the likes of me.

If he didn't mean it that way, then an upgrade of communications skills are in order. That is the way I read it. If I read it incorrectly and did not get his message right, I apoligize. So the question is: Did I read it correctly?

Rick

• Members

Anyone else miss this?

What happens when you plug in an audio input? Ah, here's the fun part. Not only can you use audio inputs for vocoder patches, but you can capture formants, sample a few seconds of audio, and route audio as an oscillator. There's some serious modulation power, too.

Very cool

• Members

I asked a Korg rep on the floor what the price was and reported it here. I said it probably wasn't for me because it can do way more than I need and that I could use something that cost less to achieve my goals. I didn't say anything bad about the product.

sho nuff. i reckon you were bang-on until you replied directly to that jerry guy. in fact, unlike most people praising or condemning the instrument here, you've actually used it. i'm with you all the way, here.

He said "We're not trying to make a super low cost synth here, so trying to lump it into ION and SH-201 territory isn't realistic. It does MUCH more and it does cost more."

I never tried to lump it in with other synths.

no, but you did mention the ion three times, and you also indicated that it's not a fair comparison - something he also did in his reply to you {i don't think you were meant to take it personally}. it stands to reason that he'd address those {possibly spurious} comparisons, but it seemed like a general response from a guy in the thick of it, as it were, not one directed at you.

Then he said

"Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?"

For the rest of us? I could pay cash for an Oasys right now if I wanted to. So who are the "Rest of You" that he is talking about. It was arrogant and condecending and I called him on it. To me that was a flame.

"the rest of you" are those who don't think it's worth the asking price and wouldn't buy it for that - as distinguished from those who are all over it and are ready to buy it rightthe{censored}now! - i don't see any other sober, reasonable interpretation of that.

hey, maybe he was taking the piss when he asked what we'd like to see removed to reach a certain pricepoint, but i'd rather take it at face value. they arguably have a three-tier product line already, so it stands to reason that we'd eventually see an oasys -> radias -> microradias {or whatever} product line. i mean, that's what most people hoped would arise from the oasys workstation anyway, yeah?

for the record, since mike51 already seems to think i'm a shill for korg, irish acts, or whomever, i've never owned a korg synth, though i did spend a lot of time with a friend's x5, and i have been tempted by the prophecy and the z1. i'm not a korg booster and i have no real interest in the radias, though i think it would look rather smart in the studio with my elektrons, and that the space on the right looks like a nice place for a machinedrum.

Archived