Guest Anonymous

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

that hinged arm looks like its BEGGING to be broken
:(:cry:

i noticed that too. and its butt ugly on an otherwise perfectly designed product. what were they thinking, it looks like a joint from pool chair ?

$2K ?

i know people are viewing this a bit like MS2K on steroids or Korg's "ION", so they expected sub 1K price..

but at least looking at the specs, this thing is much more, competes with NL3 and Virus TI market.. so if it perhaps goes for 1,7K street, its wont really be that off the mark.

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

but at least looking at the specs, this thing is much more, competes with NL3 and Virus TI market.. so if it perhaps goes for 1,7K street, its wont really be that off the mark.

My thoughts exactly. And that mp3 sounds very promising even with the lousy recording.

• Members

Originally posted by pighood

NI Reaktor....$395.

Agreed. To price this thing at that level is simply a mistake. It's got a MS2000 front panel ( with new tiny lcd). It has cheap looking buttons and knobs as well. And Fluke pointed out the Wal- Mart 9.99$ outdoor chair hinge.

Who is going to spend1699$ on this when they can use it for a real analog by Moog or DSI?

Come on, Korg. At least use some new looking/quality knobs and attempt to make it look like a synth worth 1699$.

• Members

Agreed.

Moog will get my money this year. Then Dave. Then the credit card companies!

;>

Those electribes are Korg's secret little weapons; I woulnt' sell mine for the world. Getting rid of that stupid "tube amp" encased in glass and spending the money on an analog filter might have really scorched the competition. what can my hardware synth do that my computer can't? analog filters and signal pathways are certainly two good reasons to keep churning out the hard stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by spritex

Okay, it's not cheap as I guessed. From the Korg Forums:

"Radias $1999, Radias-R $1899."

I read that on Sonic State. While the demo does sound VERY cool. i think they are smoking a LITTLE bit of something. It's almost as if they priced it to where the OA$Y$ doens't look like a bad Idea.

Being that I gather this is basically the VA engine from there....

For that kind of money, I would have liked it to be a little more professional looking.

Well time will tell....If it blows the doors off a waldorf Q+/Virus TI maybe I can be convinced...be much easier if it was at the $1699 List though.

• Members

Korg must be smoking something if that is the correct price. As others have stated, that price is leading into real analog territory, and with the Ion still going strong, it's going to be tough to demand that kind of a price for a VA.

Why would they price it so high? The only reason I can think of is that due to lower-than-expected Oasys sales, Korg is trying to shift the cost to the buyers of the spinoff products, first of which is the Radias.

Not cool.

Looks like there is an MEK in my future.

• Members

Originally posted by G-bus

The only reason I can think of is that due to lower-than-expected Oasys sales

Sorry Charlie, but how would you know what OASYS sales targets are?

From my sources, Korg is pleased with OASYS sales (you DO realize the OASYS has always been expected to be a low-volume sales keyboard, yes?)

I find it odd that some people think the OASYS is a big rip-off (implying Korg is charging more than its worth), while at the same time implying Korg is losing money on it (or its sales are lagging)

• Members

It's not like analog is automatically better than VA.

Not all analogs are equal and not all VA's are equal.

Would you rather take a simple analog or a great sounding complex VA?

BTW, I read that the 24 voices (=timbres) are not dependant of the FX but you can have more than 1 "timbres" in one Program. That's why the polyphony is variable.

As far as I understood, the 1 timbre is a full patch with 2 OSC's + noise + 2 filters etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

not sure if it's relevant, but the VA section on the V-Synth is "up to 24 voices" basically, but often bogs down to 4 or so in practise.

I have never used the V-synth, but from Roland's specs: "24 voices (Varies depending on the load placed on the sound generator.)"

I suspect it means that the polyphony decreases if you use more complex filters, more LFO's and so on? Can anybody confirm?

The Radias polyphony seems to be only connected to layering - the same as in the Oasys. The 24/80 VA voices you can get are the full voices with the whole sound structure in use. (Except in the Oasys you don't have anything left for the FX if 80 voices are used, since they share resources).

But I might be wrong...

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

not sure if it's relevant, but the VA section on the V-Synth is "up to 24 voices" basically, but often bogs down to 4 or so in practise.

Right, specs only mean so much. We'll have to see how much TRUE power is there. At the presently known asking price, I hope it is for Korg's sake.

As far as VA vs. RA... it's whatever sounds better. To go further, the RA would have to sound markedly better since it will obviously have more limitations.

• Members

Okay, now I am pretty sure that there are 24 true voices there, as descriped here:

2 oscillators + noise generator:

Oscillator 1 - 9 basic waveforms, 4 types of modulation, PCM (64 synth sounds, 128 drum sounds)

Oscillator 2 - 4 basic waveforms, 2 types of modulation

2 filters (w/serial, parallel, individual routings):

Filter 1 (variable multi-mode) -24 dB Low Pass, -12 dB Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass, Thru

Filter 2 (switchable multi-mode) Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass, Comb

1 driver or wave shaper (11 types)

3 EGs

2 LFOs

6 virtual patches

3 modulation sequences

The reason for this is that Jerry from Korg said at another forum that "One timbre=24 notes of polyphony, including 2 Insert effects, 3-band EQ and 1 Master effect. Use two timbres together and you halve that. And so on. "

Plus, on the Korg site they say that "RADIAS provides two oscillators for each timbre. " and "RADIAS provides a dual-filter structure."

So, there's no "hidden catch".

BTW, I wouldn't necessarily even want to compare the V-synth to it as a VA soundwise. I read on a review that it has bad aliasing and zipper noise. It might be better suited for other tasks. And it's a +2000$ instrument too so I don't think the Radias price looks too bad...

• Members

That's an excellent price...

It will give them the best margins at that price point.

I would even be tempted!!

... and that is the first step.

:(

Well, I haven't caved and bought an Ion yet, and I felt thrilled about that too.

I like the layout of this, the tilted aspect is almost Waldorf Wave-ish.

Wish it had just a tad more of an experimental touch...

• Members

Originally posted by spritex

For what it's worth, somebody wrote on the Korg forum that he heard a rumour that the street price in canada will be 1699$ (CAD from the sound of it.). That would be $1470 USD.

That sounds reasonable if it's true. Somewhere between an Ion and a Virus, which is what the Radias seems like.

• Members

Man, that place was a zoo today. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought it was Saturday. I sure as hell won't be going tomorrow.

The Radias can be had with the keyboard or not. The genlteman that I spoke with said that the MSRP would be $1,695.00 with the keybed and $1,595.00 without. So we are talking about $1,150.00 to $1,200.00 street with the keybed. Because it was so crowded, the best I could do was run the demo through some headphones. It sounded pretty good on the phones, but it is not gonna "kill" the Ion or the SH-201 at that price point, nor should it as it is not in the same league. It does a lot more, but for me, it would be too much for the money, and I'm sure others would have a different opinion. I play covers in a live band. I think an ION will work for me just fine. But for others who could take advantage of all of it's features, it could be very cool.

I don't know when it will be available, but at least they had one to play, unlike Roland. Alesis didn't have an ION there either. I was a little tweeked at that.

OK report over! :^)

Rick

• Members

You've got the pricing wrong - the street price will be around $1,699 for the keyboard, $1,599 for the rack, not the list price.

We're not trying to make a super low cost synth here, so trying to lump it into ION and SH-201 territory isn't realistic. It does MUCH more and it does cost more. Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?

(Chat amongst yourselves, I have to go right now - I'll check in again)

:-)

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Originally posted by Keyrick

Man, that place was a zoo today. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought it was Saturday. I sure as hell won't be going tomorrow.

The Radias can be had with the keyboard or not. The genlteman that I spoke with said that the MSRP would be $1,695.00 with the keybed and $1,595.00 without. So we are talking about $1,150.00 to $1,200.00 street with the keybed. Because it was so crowded, the best I could do was run the demo through some headphones. It sounded pretty good on the phones, but it is not gonna "kill" the Ion or the SH-201 at that price point, nor should it as it is not in the same league. It does a lot more, but for me, it would be too much for the money, and I'm sure others would have a different opinion. I play covers in a live band. I think an ION will work for me just fine. But for others who could take advantage of all of it's features, it could be very cool.

I don't know when it will be available, but at least they had one to play, unlike Roland. Alesis didn't have an ION there either. I was a little tweeked at that.

OK report over! :^)

Rick

Archived