Korg Radias

Guest Anonymous

• Members

Wow, I try to post some information, and I actually offered an honest request to find out what aspects of a spec you were more interested in, I go to dinner and come back to find I've pissed people off...

That was never my intention, and I was just honestly talking to you. I'm sorry that you read such negativity into my post. No harm intended - this is an example of the inneficiency of dialog typed into a web page versus real communication. I did not mean to come off snide, or arrogant or any of the things you took it as. So I'm sorry that happened. Enough people in these forums know me and know that's not my style. So let's move beyond this unfortunate misunderstanding, OK?

I stand by my comment that we were not looking to make an 8-note poly, more low-cost synth, and we were never aiming at a sub-$1000 price point. That was my point.

So again, discuss the features/specs you want in a sub $1000 synth like the Radias and know that we'll be listening. My intentions were genuine.

I DO take some level of offense at your just slagging off me within a concept of some "rep" with no PR experience. I'm not simply some salesman for a company, I'm the Product Manager. And I DO have a fairly extensive career in synths in the MI for the past 25 years. So I understand you took some offense, but please show me some level of respect. I don't have to be here, and I don't have to come back and check these threads before going to sleep - I do this because I care and want to communicate, be informed, and inform.

Regards,

Jerry

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think some people shouldn't post while under the unfluence.

Frankly, if some of the people here owned studios, I wouldn't give them my business if they had a Fairlight C IIx and Synclavier 9600. With such thin skins, I'd have to walk and ask for my money back. In no time at all, you have people who haven't been within 1000 miles of this gear describing its build quality.

I swear. Someone needs to give Dave Bryce a raise for having to chapperone some of you.

• Members

Originally posted by Jerrythek

... please show me some level of respect. I don't have to be here, and I don't have to come back and check these threads before going to sleep - I do this because I care and want to communicate, be informed, and inform.

i believe you. i'm also not under the influence, but i am working on it and i promise not to be rude even if i am.

4 questions:

a) what exactly are the oscillator types and would you mind (if you have it in digital text form) posting a list of the PCM waves, both cyclic and drum hits?

b) why is the jackfield in the wrong place?

c) does the step sequencer have slide and accent?

d) can the mod seq tracks all run at different rates and length?

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

okay then..

first of all they should remove PCM section. they can cut down the polyphony (DSP power), even in the fx section.

make the cut-down version a specialty item - i could definetely live with 12 voices of this. esp since it has its own specific clear cutting character - not something i would put on all parts in a song anyway, but here n there. this is not meant to be a starter board anyway - so most likely target customer will have other boards beside this. 12 poly is fine..

3 octaves.

arghh, if hard pressed i could let go of the vocoder too, since i'm not too fond of digital vocoders (i like the virus one) , but its nice and very practical to have one on board - minimum cabling mess.

all hypothetically of course
:D

Also, those amber rings round each of the pots could have been omitted. The street price of the current Radias could have thus been lower.

They aren't NL3 style LED rings are they? They aren't back illuminated - that is the display lighting reflecting off isn't it?

• Members

Originally posted by Jerrythek

Maybe we should make a cut-down version for the rest of you? What should it be?

I'm glad you asked. I read your question as an honest attempt to find out what we want. Which is courageous. I don't see any other manufacturers out here asking us what we want. ;)

So ...

I'd skip the whole interface and make a box. We have already bought controllers of our choosing. You can cut back the polyphony. You could kill the vocoder, although in it's current incarnation, it makes sense as a R&B dream machine. Though I'd like to see more kinds of DSP.

If you could give us some variable architecture, that would be super. Some ability to put time based effects before filters/mixing/ring modulation. Freely route envelopes in the mod matrix. Use oscillators as audio rate mod sources. etc.

Some of this may already be there. And some of it may be way too expensive to contemplate at this point. But you asked. And thanks for asking. :)

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by KarnEvil19

I think some people shouldn't post while under the unfluence.

Frankly, if some of the people here owned studios, I wouldn't give them my business if they had a Fairlight C IIx and Synclavier 9600. With such thin skins, I'd have to walk and ask for my money back. In no time at all, you have people who haven't been within 1000 miles of this gear describing its build quality.

I swear. Someone needs to give Dave Bryce a raise for having to chapperone some of you.

Karn, what is your other name on this forum?

• Members

I like this thing, despite the retarded ass 'jackfield'. it sounds good, and the layout is the same as the MS2k. which i like a great deal.

So 15 - 16 would actually seem about right for this type of product, given korg pricing history and recent advances in DSP and synthesis technology. I think it's a good starting point, and of course the price will go down soon enough.

Keyboard version looks a bit goofy.

Damn i can't believe i missed all the NAMM forum fun . . .

• Members

Jerry,

You said:

"That was never my intention, and I was just honestly talking to you. I'm sorry that you read such negativity into my post. No harm intended - this is an example of the inneficiency of dialog typed into a web page versus real communication. I did not mean to come off snide, or arrogant or any of the things you took it as. So I'm sorry that happened. Enough people in these forums know me and know that's not my style. So let's move beyond this unfortunate misunderstanding, OK?"

OK, we're cool. I did take it in a negative fashion and I am also sorry that it happened. BTW, I never said you were a rep, someone else did, I didn't know who you were, and I didn't have a drop yesterday! But my feet hurt. :eek:

I really liked the Radias. It is more than I need as I am mainly a performance musician and I don't run sequences or arps live. I have to deal with a drummer! Often we purchase things and never use them to their potential, and that would certainly be the case for me in this instance. It has the sounds that I want and I would consider it if it was in the $1,200.00 range. So, if I can answer your question, give me that box with those voices and without the bells, whistles, and keyboard.

Have a good day.

Rick

• Members

As far as making it cheaper (this is of course my wishlist and an elimination of things I don't feel are neccessary for me; furthermore I have no idea if these deletions would actually do much to lower the cost as far as price):

1. A desktop version woud be cool for those that don't want a rack or a keyboard. That would be pretty cheap (add $50 to price with some metal/rubber/wood sides).

2. Smaller keyboard for the keyboard version

3. The Jack problem

4. Get rid of the Vocoder

5. Half the polyphony

5. Get rid of the fancy knob encoders (someone earlier mentioned this; not sure if it's ala NL3 or some other light system, but it's unneccessary).

6. I think it's pretty ugly. I like that it's unique, but I wish it had a different and perhaps more adventurous color scheme (but still remaining understated). Brown facia with white, yellow and green buttons/knobs would have been very cool.

• Members

I would have thought it could be used as a desktop. It would only need 4 rubber feet if not aleady fitted.

Having listened/watched the Sonicstate video I am sure they're not indicators around the pots (and with the markings on the pots, assume they are not endless) as the sound jumps to the new parameter when the guy turns a pot (which would not happen with an endless pot).

It would be interesting to know if the pots have a jump/relative/pass through setting (like for instance the Virus has) and which is pretty essential in a live setting.

Guest Anonymous

I am glad Korg came out w/ a synth that could be considered as or more innovative than a Virus or Nord 3. I am not talking about sound since that is subjective but, the analog modeling and formant synth section's are pretty nice. It also wouldn't hurt if user wav's could be added to the PCM section. Korg needs to add more osc' and filter's via a os update and it's a wrap.

Rack it up i'll take it.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

that hinged arm looks like its BEGGING to be broken
:(:cry:
(image)

You've seen whatever holds up the Minimoog panel? That looks a lot more flimsy :(.

Also Jerry, since you're mainly in this thread, could you perhaps reply to some of my musings here : http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1141391&pagenumber=4 ?

• Members

Jerry K. made two statements:

-- he corrected misinformation about Radias prices (isn't it nice to have correct prices from an actual Korg Product Manager?)

-- he asked an honest question about what type of features/functions should be pulled from the Radias to hit a lower "street" price point (since many of you were complaining about the price)

Many of you state that companies don't listen to you. Well, here is a guy who actually does have some input on products Korg decides to produce, and what do you do? You jump all over him.

And many of you people wonder why there aren't more MI company insiders that post here. :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

b) why is the jackfield in the wrong place?

With regards to the Radias, it looks like the "rack part" of the Radias is the same in both the keyboard and rack version. If this is true, the current jack location:

-- allows the Radias sit flat in the keyboard version

-- would (as you state with the MS2000) require you devote an extra empty rack space above it.

• Members

Originally posted by John B NYC

Am I the only one that doesnt like endless rotaries?

If I interpret the demo video correctly they aren't endless - they jump; and the lit circle is only for practical decorative purposes (e.g. dark stage).

• Members

My apologies as well, Jerry, for muddying up the waters here. What you wrote came off negative to me as well but your follow up suggests otherwise. Personally I have no interest in a VA like this at that price point based on what I know about it and have heard from it - I think the Ion has raised the bar for price/quality and something like the V Synth has raised the bar for innovation/creative possibilities. I don't see the Radias hitting either, unfortunately - but that's me. Others here seem to see it differently. However, I intend to keep an open mind until I actually play it.

Archived