frustration!

cuban_b

• Members

use a metronome. when you see you are comfortable with your speed, turn it up a notch..start slow.make sure you are using the right excercises.that's all you need to know bro..good luck.

btw, the retards that troll the Amp board are gonna start posting things like "shredding is stupid" "shredding has no emotion" and crap like that, so dont mind them

• Members

Shredding is stupid. Shredding has no emotion.

I don't troll the AF but it'll be something like that.

I nearly agree but I have no objection to good technique. Do you play drums? This is an angle I seldom see discussed. Basically the faster any machine goes, the more precise the timing has to be. You see a drag motor explode in mid race. That's 'cause some or a lotta thing is causing it to fight itself. Same thing with your hands. There's a lot of scientific method you can apply besides practice and hope.

• Members

from a dumb old fart geetar player since 1960.....and I know lots of chords..lots of songs...lots of riffs.........
what the hell is shredding...........
I thought it was what we did to old personal mail we did not want others to read......:love::):p;):lol::lol:

• Members
from a dumb old fart geetar player since 1960.....and I know lots of chords..lots of songs...lots of riffs.........

what the hell is shredding...........

I thought it was what we did to old personal mail we did not want others to read......
:love::):p;):lol:
:lol:

Example:

[YOUTUBE]HC60XNiS-MQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

how long did it take for you guys to learn to shred? i keep working on it and am getting frustrated! i think my hands have downs syndrome.

It depends on how many hours you put in and how talented you are. A friend of mine got there in 3 years, it took me nearly twice that long... the thing is neither of us were actually any good - we could just play sh*t fast and impress folks who don't know anything about guitars. You then spend years trying to learn how to play properly, learning theory, learning to play rythmn well (like you have to do 99% of the time), song writing, fitting in with a band, playing stuff people actually want to listen to all with the added handicap that if you don't pay attention you hands go on autopilot executing hackneyed sequences and patterns that you've honed over many a lonely hour in your bedroom.

I'm of the opinion that you're better off learning to play well at a slow to medium speed first. That way you just need to do what you're doing but faster, just jumping in at the deep end and practicing endless scales and exercises whilst obsessing over how fast you are might get you to a point where you can impress some teenagers in the local guitar store, but you won't cut it in a band or any other real life 'musician' situation.

• Members

have you heard a recording of paul gilbert playing red house , it has to be one of the worst i`ve ever heard ,it just goes to show that shredding,and working on frigging arpedgeeeeooosssee too much ,does take its toll on your playing. forget shreddies and have some hendrix for breakfast .

• Members

To the OP, it should take the average person 4-5 years of daily (yep 7 days a week for all that time) practice to be able to "shread". Practicing ALOT could reduce that to about 3-4 years but that would be unusual.

If you are getting furstrated, and haven't been practicing for 4-5 years then I would just take a week or two off then see how you feel when you come back, often times you will grow quite a bit as a musician if you take a week off every 6 months.

If you have already been practicing your shread technique for 4-5 years and still can't do it then you (or better yet a teacher) need to take a hard look at your technique and see whats holding you up.

Either way, go get a teacher.

• Members

While I'm not particularly into "shredding", I wouldn't mind having that level of accuracy. I certainly wouldn't mind being able to play 128th notes perfectly in time. Shredding to me sounds really repetitive, like it's just taking up space which could be better occupied by vocals or rhythm guitar and drums. I don't mean to insult anyone who likes it. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I've has this tab open in my browser for several hours apparently (while sipping scotch), so I'll just say the following sentence. Proper practice is always a good thing, carefully examine any problems with your technique and attempt to solve the problem. Step 3, profit.

• Members

Well shredding is not necessarily a particular type of music. Tommy Emmanuel shreds on an acoustic! It's just playing out a group of notes fast, and you can add feeling to it. Heavy metal is just notorious for it.

All it is, is playing groups of notes fast. You need to practice slowly. It's more important to train yourself to do it accurately and correctly then fast and sloppy. Spending like a half hour a day practicing scales slow and slowly working up the speed on the drum machine/metronome is the way to do it. And practicing good picking technique. If you do it like that for 30 minutes a day you'll see big improvements in a few months. You'll get more confident on where to go when improvising. I am strange because I love practicing that kind of stuff some people get bored but I love playing my guitar.

Seriously if you can't play it accurately and well slowly you won't play it any better faster. It'll be sloppy.

• Members

I found the progression from blues to rock to metal to heavy metal to shred god (yeah, right) to be a good progression.

You acquire feeling and slow (blues) and then feeling and fast (rock) and then attack and phrasing (metal) and then attack, syncopation, fast phrasing (heavy metal) and then you understand shredding (even if you don't like it or play it often).

I love shredding and heavy metal but it is great to get back to amazing blues and similar. 'Johnny B. Goode', 'Crossroads', 'Comfortably Numb' are my current songs of interest. Great 'shredding'. ;)

• 3 months later...
  • Members
Thanks for posting spam in five different threads.
:cop:

I'm sure it will help get the point across.

I thought exactly the same thing.

But nevertheless I took a look at the site, and to be honest, to me it looks like a cool tool.
One coulod do the same with just a book, pencial and a metronome, having one's practice organized on the computer like it's done on that site is not a bad idea.

I'd only be curious about what the features would be on the full version.
As in: would it be possible to make one's own exercises, or would there be an option to customize to a 7-string guitar, etc.

also, th idea is not totally new, looks a lot like the "Guitar Speed Trainer" software.

But, once again, I think the idea is pretty good, looks like a nice practice tool to me !

Archived