opinions on foot tapping

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Its funny that you have such a pet peeve with one size fits all. Classical teachings i have had are very much that way. Also many many classical players I have played with are quite robotic with regards to expressing themselves. I applaud you for that attitude. I dont think it is healthy to use only one approach. To me the key is moderation. Find the approaches that fit you. I use many and
any
if they work.

Coming from a guitar upbringing (mostly self taught for me in my formative years) the prevailing attitude is to "just play by feel" and develop your ear, who needs theory - all that. Not that i agree with that 100% but that is a prevailing attitude out there. Hell I think that is why many guitarists dont even like using metronomes cause they dont like being told when to play what!

Good side

-many guitarists can play freely without music

Bad side

-many guitarists are musically ignorant therefore hard to work with (and mostly proud of it)

That's why i love having discussions with players of other instruments. There is a mutual learning that can happen there in those discussions (like this one). We are all so different that you really need to pick and choose what playing approaches you are going to use. The key IMO is an open mind and a willingness to try something that goes against the teachings.

You never know what is going to stick! I am a musical slut - I will try anything to get better!

Who would ever think a topic of tapping your foot would elicit 4 pages of discussion. Could be worse - could be another discussion on modes : )

Take care

Thanks!

I started playing violin when I was 5. Suzuki method-which is to say, by ear. That sets a young violinist up very differently from other methodologies. By the time I was 13, I was playing along with and making up violin parts for every album that passed through my hands. The live Led Zep album was my first victim and after that nobody was safe. Pink Floyd, Rush, Herbie Hancock, Jan Hammer, Jeff Beck, Tommy Bolin, Stanley Clark, Jean Luc Ponty, Jeff Lorber, Prince, White Zombie, Metallica and on and on. Some of my violin teachers HATED that I was doing that and really crawled up my grill. But my teacher at NCSA was fairly accomodating, as long as my classical duties didn't suffer. When she heard my first band playing Dixie Dregs songs, she was quite supportive.

So, I'm omni musical. ;-) Don't do punk, rap, or very much country, and most bluegrass. All bets are off after that. I'm a slut too. ;)

"True refinement seeks simplicity."

"The correct technique is anything that scores."

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."

"Self education makes great men."

- Bruce Lee

I'm just passing through. I am not the foot tapping nazi. Really.

Cool Forum!!!:cool:

You ladies have a nice day. :)

:wave:

• Members
Mehta esque (the pouncer in question) histrionics, it's all vital to the rhythm. Inseparable.

"But...snff snff...but Bernstein does it." Yeah! that always went over real well in the Institute. Somebody just lost their podium time for the week. ;)

• Members

A cat that's already out of the bag. Some blues for ya. Self produced in my home studio... from a few years ago. New stuff in the works.

Not neccessarily/particularly demonstrative of the subject at hand either. I'm somewhat happy with the violin playing though...today, anyway.

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/index.php?txygnbz=19609&chkldsxv1=CD2B262A58&yhgbndsq=1

• Members

Thanks Jasco! Well, at least your foot was going by the end. :lol: I was standing on one and workin a wah with the 'tuther. Oh Noooezzz!! I can't tap a foot! Whadda I DOOoooo??? :eek:

1001gear said links. Here's one more that's a bit more upbeat.

BTW. Current mixes are very new and improved, thanks to things I've learned right here at HC! I can't let that stuff go yet though.

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/index.php?txygnbz=19609&chkldsxv1=D53CDBC114&yhgbndsq=1

...and enough about me. Thanks for listening!! :):):)

• Members
Bobby Broom is a musical genius and you would do well to heed his advice.

Is that right? :rolleyes:

I know Bobby and have a lot of respect for him. Same with lots of players. But there's more than one way to do something, and just because someone is good at what they do doesn't mean they're infallible. I do think that having a physical connection the the beat can really help many players, but it's not essential. Just as it can be positive it can be negative as well. Try everything and find what works for you....

• Members
Thanks Jasco! Well, at least your foot was going by the end.
:lol:
I was standing on one and workin a wah with the 'tuther. Oh Noooezzz!! I can't tap a foot! Whadda I DOOoooo???
:eek:

1001gear said links. Here's one more that's a bit more upbeat.

BTW. Current mixes are very new and improved, thanks to things I've learned right here at HC! I can't let that stuff go yet though.

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/index.php?txygnbz=19609&chkldsxv1=D53CDBC114&yhgbndsq=1

...and enough about me. Thanks for listening!!
:)

haha. yo-yo :poke:

I can't get the player at Broadjam. Gotta wait till my plugins clear the new Firefox.

• Members
haha. yo-yo :poke:

Pbpbpbpbpbpbpb. No.

Yo Yo couldn't make it, so he sent me. RockViolin. My friends call me RV, or Tom.

I've heard that for people of a certain age, those big crow feathers go down better with a glass of warm milk. You might wanna give it a shot. :) HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa. :p :poke:

Let me know if that helps, and when your browser recovers.

• Members

That's all I've got up, right now. A couple dozen songs at Broadjam.

I was off the scope for a while. Neck injury. It really sucked. You guys are catching me on the rebound. Lot's to do today. I'll see what I can do at this end.

I had set it up to only allow streaming. You guys are pretty swell though, so I'll go back and tell it to allow downloading. Just for a few days. Maybe that'll help. Maybe you need to "allow" it somewhere? :idk:

The links have worked for Jasco and Jeremy, obviously. (I doubt they had to register or do anything special.)

• Members
That's all I've got up, right now. A couple dozen songs at Broadjam.

I was off the scope for a while. Neck injury. It
really
sucked. You guys are catching me on the rebound. Lot's to do today. I'll see what I can do at this end.

I had set it up to only allow streaming. You guys are pretty swell though, so I'll go back and tell it to allow downloading. Just for a few days. Maybe that'll help. Maybe you need to "allow" it somewhere?
:idk:

The links have worked for Jasco and Jeremy, obviously. (I doubt they had to register or do anything special.)

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I get the player to show, but it won't play anything. It could be a browser-specific thing, or perhaps a firewall. I'll try again when I get home.

• Members
Is that right?
:rolleyes:

I know Bobby and have a lot of respect for him. Same with lots of players. But there's more than one way to do something, and just because someone is good at what they do doesn't mean they're infallible. I do think that having a physical connection the the beat can really help many players, but it's not essential. Just as it can be positive it can be negative as well. Try everything and find what works for you....

Why the rolleyes? Are you in Chicago? Of course it's not essential, but those that are challenged in their ability to groove (and there are legions if I may be so bold) would do well to work on their grasp of playing on, behind or ahead of the beat with the precision needed in the big leagues.

• Members
Crow? I won. "snicker:

Zat so? :confused: Please explain for us your glorious victory. :lol:

You've won nothing...as far as the points that have been discussed here are concerned. I heard someone call me out, and decided to oblige. You got me to turn around and then you respond by calling me a name. Woooo. Is that what you're talking about? :idk: Big deal. :rolleyes: A tiny, trollish victory at best. :bor:

;)

• Members
Zat so?
:confused:
Please explain for us your glorious victory.
:lol:

You've won nothing...as far as the points that have been discussed here are concerned. I heard someone call me out, and decided to oblige. You got me to turn around and then you respond by calling me a name. Woooo. Is that what you're talking about?
:idk:
Big deal.
:rolleyes:
A tiny, trollish victory at best.
:bor:

;)

Ooh. ssENsitive. :D Tapping is part of rhythm. Legit guys ultimately find it redundant because most of it is mapped out and intellectualized as meter - which is not rhythm. By your account the finest musicians will have nothing to do with it. Us mortals still find it useful. meter makes makes damn fine rhythm. Oh well between you and me, you're the star regardless.

Anyway, the blues was better than your tack. Liked the alien tone over the swampy vamp. Needs video I think. Helicopter footage of interesting terrain or something. I'd like to hear the rest of the list.

• Members
Ooh. ssENsitive.
:D
Tapping is part of rhythm. Legit guys ultimately find it redundant because most of it is mapped out and intellectualized as meter - which is not rhythm. By your account the finest musicians will have nothing to do with it. Us mortals still find it useful. meter makes makes damn fine rhythm. Oh well between you and me, you're the star regardless.

Anyway, the blues was better than your tack. Liked the alien tone over the swampy vamp. Needs video I think. Helicopter footage of interesting terrain or something. I'd like to hear the rest of the list.

Sensitive seems to go with the territory.

You're right though. My tack was off. I was on my way by, moved by the topic, and I think I know my biz...but, I said I was passing through cause I'm not much of a forumite and my situation doesn't allow for me to get much practice at it.

And I had a feeling I'd end up having to throw down, which is not why frequent these parts.

My faults are rarely a mystery to me. Not in retrospect anyway. :lol: But I didn't know where you were coming from. Snips and pokes, ya know? Thanks for indulging me. I shouldn't have riffed the point after being complimented by Jasco, for one thing. And I duly, sincerely apologize to Jasco and all that were offended by my demeanor.

RV

Archived