opinions on foot tapping

• Members
Liked the alien tone over the swampy vamp. Needs video I think. Helicopter footage of interesting terrain or something. I'd like to hear the rest of the list.

Thanks. :cool: That was a POD v.1 64 Deluxe model. :) Now how'd I get an SR16 and a Roland xp80 to do swampy? The noive! :D

Yeah, the chopper went in a fire sale after my neck was injured...along with a sweet Mustang Cobra. Snufarufaruflsnuf! But if you'd like to put something together for me...:poke:

Thanks for being interested and listening! My best foot may already be forward though. Some of the songs at Broadjam don't even have violin on them. Just sequenced keyboard solos. >>The neck thing.

This is a play pretty new agey song. A violin being played a bit more traditionally. No sequencing.

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/index.php?txygnbz=19609&chkldsxv1=097F7D13F7&yhgbndsq=1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I do find it annoying when guitarists tap their foot hard while playing. I have a couple of guitarist friends who do this and I have seen instructors do this as well. It's like they try to stomp hard enough to hear and feel the beat, but it really distracts me as the listener.

I think "foot tapping" in most cases should be just a natural involvement wth the music versus a set metronome type beat.

For example, in this vid, you can see Dave Matthews tapping his foot like crazy and also rocking his head and shoulders. I don't think he is really thinking about keeping the beat so much as he is reacting to the music....but I could be wrong. Maybe he is so advanced that it just looks that easy.

On a side note, if you make it to the end of the video, you can see why it is important to learn guitar........to get laid ! :)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Tommy Emmanuel talks about involving the whole body in the groove that he sets. I'm a fan of foot tapping, head bobbing, and generally twitching whatever I can twitch...

I have noticed that we don't all necessarily use our feet in exactly the same way though. The guy that plays lead with us likes to tap his foot too, and I've noticed that our playing can be in time, whilst our feet aren't. :eek: Weird.. but I've learned to keep my eyes away from his shoes... ;)

Archived