what is your price limit for a single pedal

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wont spend over about 200 on a pedal as a general rule. guitars I dont go over 1000 (I like to buy the cheapies and mod them anyway so why bother on the upgraded electronics & hardware if I'm going to change them anyway?). Amps I currently have no limit but plan on building a 5e5 tweed pro once the funds permit.

• Members

It depends on what it is. If I don't think I will use it too much, $100 is about my limit. If it's something that I will use a lot, then $200 is probably my limit. Yeah, I know, I'm a cheap bastard, but for the most part, those pedals that cost over around $200 can be found cheaper by someone else. I usually buy on the used market, though, so I think I get a little more bang for my buck.

• Members

Most I've spent is AUD$300 (~US$240) on a Frostwave Resonator, but there's really nothing else like it in the price range.

Budget limits are generally $150 for dirt, $200 for modulation/delay. Pretty much anything fits into this provided it's not upper level brand new boutique (Red Witch, Diamond, TZF) or vintage collectable (Mutron, Flying Pan etc)

• Members

Hmm...

Vox Clyde - $50 plus a Route 66
BYOC Triboost - free!
MXR Dynacomp - $20 plus a Daddy-O
Mista Fuzz - $150
Digitech Synth Wah - $35
Pandora's Fuzzbox - $55
Dano Fish & Chips - $20
EHX DEM - $90ish
Dano Chicken Salad - $15
Ibanez DE7 - gift
Magicstomp - gift
Line 6 Echo Park - traded for FL9 which was traded for a used Small Stone, so...$50

The only real botique stuff I've ever had (I think ;)) were fuzzes - Fulltone, Roger Mayer, etc. Most of the rest of the pedals I've owned were pretty much run-of-the-mill. So I guess my college-student limit is ~$150. Having a girlfriend that understands the nature of pedal geekiness really, really helps, too.

Someday...someday.....

Lovetone Dop and Wob - recently got the pair for $1,300 shipped. So I guess that means $650 each. I believe that's the most I've paid for a slngle pedal. Times two. ;) My Lovetone Brown Source was a bit under $350 IIRC, and outside of that, everything has been under $250; with most of the pedals I have purchased coming in under $150.

Compared to studio stuff, this isn't so bad. ;)

As far as what I'm willing to spend, it would depend on what it was and how badly I was GASing for one. :D

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

the most expensive pedal I've bought is my dd20 that was only like 160 after tax.

I only buy things that I think are good deals. my pedalboard is currently:

Boss Ph1r $25

Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde $50

EHX Pulsar $30

Line 6 DL4 w/ expression $120

Boss TU2 $70

The rest of the pedals I own around all around $100 or less

wow you got some nice deals, everything's pritty expensive in canada

• Members

payed 259$ for my laura bennet fuzzfactory, with shipping and taxes it was about 260euro, which made it about 50euro cheaper than the regular version in a store near by me.

before that my pp2+ was the most expensivest part on my board which was 200euro shipped.

i guess i would pay more if i really have gas for something, but for now pedal gas is gone

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Lovetone Dop and Wob - recently got the pair for $1,300 shipped. So I guess that means $650 each. I believe that's the most I've paid for a slngle pedal. Times two.
;)
My Lovetone Brown Source was a bit under $350 IIRC,

:wave:
I saw Lovetone Wodulators in 99 go for $900. I got mine from Lovetone for $369.

Check out that Doppelganger trick at the Lovetone Lounge to expend the LFO sweep.

The most any non famous person should pay is $500 because any pedal over $500 should guarantee fame!

• Members

a toneczar powerglide tremolo... price has gone up for the pedal since i bought it.. i believe it was 350$ (shipping incl.) back then... it's a high price but it's not your one trick pedal..
how much i'd like the echoczar.. i really can't justify that price... too bad really...

• Members

i sort of think along the lines of "it doesn't matter how much i spend, a few weeks after i buy the buyer's remorse is gone and i (hopefully) am enjoying what i have".

with that said, i don't like to spend much more than $300...of course trying to spend as little as possible.

• Members

I finally found a Fulltone TTE to try out, very nice, but man I couldn't see springing a grand for it. That's just MHO. I guess I see 200 as the upper limit for most any pedal.

• Members

Depends on how much I like a particular effect, what it can do, what choices there for those features, how much our currency is worth, etc etc...

I don't care for most types of effects that much so they're not going to attract a lot of $$ from me, but some, like vibe or trem, I might extend myself. Authentic vibe circuits are nearly alway around $300, so that's a biggy, but even fx I like can often be had for very reasonable prices because the choices available allow for that.

I never pay for collector gear, no matter how good, the price is never justified for me, since I'm not into "collecting".

Archived