Fusion $500 at GC?

Diametro

• Members

Legacy Collection ... Vector Synthesis/Wavesequencing ... STR-1 synthesis ... AL-1

Yeah, the O does a lot more than the M3. I would own an O if I had a little more money and thought that I would keep it for a decade. That's the real competition between the O and the Fusion for me: For $1500, you don't think so hard in two years about selling it for $600 to get the latest and greatest. For $8000, you start to look for the longevity of a piano, something you can buy and keep for decades. So that would drive a person like me to buy a Fusion, even though the O is better on nearly all accounts.

Tired subject, I know. Sorry, folks.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep - I was one of the staunchest proponents of the Fusion. I think I even said something like I'd never buy an O because the Fusion should do pretty much all of the same stuff at a better price. Specs are one thing and implementation is completely another thing...

I really wish Alesis would have been able to explore the possibilities of Fusion engines a little more - $8000 is still a metric fcukton of money to shell out for a synth and if the Fusion had blossomed more I'd maybe not be taking the O plunge.

That said, I haven't sold my Fusion (or Ion) just yet...still good for what it is! :thu:

Thanks!
bax

• Members

Yeah...I guess part of me was hoping that was what Korg was gonna release - a new "synth" unit rather than the rote "workstation evolution". Not enough profit margin in just a "synth" product apparently, so I guess it is just down to Roland on that front (at least from the big 3).

Who knows, maybe something like that will come next year from Korg...but I'm not waiting for it ;)

Thanks!
bax

• Members

Just FYI,

It appears Sweetwater has "sweetened" their Fusion 6HD and 8HD offerings:

-- their old offering of $1,000 (6HD) and $1500 (8HD) included 25 extra banks of sounds

-- their new offering (same prices as above) [called the "Sweetwater Edition"] now ALSO includes a free 128MB RAM upgrade:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fusion6SE/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fusion8SE/

P.S. -- They also appear to be selling the Fusion memory upgrade for $198 (you have to buy 2 paired memory modules):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FusionRAM/

• Members

It's not computer "RAM" (it is flash RAM) and not manufactured in a DIMM form factor, nor were the Fusion's V-engines designed to use normal PC type RAM. They (E3 modules) are also not mass-produced in nearly the same quantities as PC memory, so they are not going to sell for nearly equivalent prices...

Don't feel too bad - PRAM (flash RAM) for the Kurzweil K26XX series *still* costs $360.00 (or more) for 1.5Mb (yep, that's megabytes). :D Same story - not a large enough market to warrant producing the millions of units required to get the production economies of scale.

If you want to look at the E3 modules, there are pictures in the guide I wrote that shows you how to install them:

http://baxweb.com/Fusion/8HDUpgrade.pdf

Thanks!
bax

• Members

This question was asked over at the old Fusion forum, and the answer was it is some type of special high-speed RAM (whatever that means).

Yup. There are many, many more types of memory out there than the stuff that goes in your PC. Different types of memory are better for different applications and can vary widely in price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My local GC can get a 6HD for $499. He states he can get it directly from Alesis, brand new. I had an aquaintance contact Alesis (he works for a local Pro Audio competitor) and he said Alesis knew nothing of this, just that GC was selling their leftovers for $499.

So the question is: at $499, do i still order one? Even if it isn't new from Alesis? Mind you, i cannot see the unit until it arrives to the store and they require payment first for "special orders."

I just don't want to be stuck with a beat up floor model. I suppose I can see if i can get my money back if the unit arrives damaged? Thoughts?

• Members

The one Sweetwater (
) is selling with all the extras peaked my interest too, but are these not the same sounds you can get here?

No. Sweetwater have pre-loaded all of the factory and Hollow Sun banks, but are ALSO "including a Sweetwater-exclusive bank of guitars, basses, strings, drums, and a specially-tweaked version of the Holy Grail piano":

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fusion6SE/

Finally, we install a Sweetwater-exclusive Bank that includes stellar sounds programmed by our synth guru Daniel Fisher:

-- ES-175 Jazz Guitar

-- Martin Steel Slide Guitar

-- Modulus Fretless Bass w/Harmonics

-- Lush Strings

-- PRS Burning Lead Guitar

-- Stereo '70s Drum Kit

-- Holy Tweaked Grand Piano (a modification of the Holy Grail Grand Piano)

• Members
THIS is the freakin' steal of the CENTURY! I can't believe you can get a Fusion for $499. That is just crazy talk and actually I thought you guys were talking out of your ass. I've never heard of getting some much synth and power at a price like this EVER! I want one and don't even need any other synths.

• Members

I looked over a Fusion at my local GC, but was instantly turned-off by the look. That knob felt horrible, and the plated-plastic bezels just screamed "cheap" at me. No, thank you.

While I'm still not crazy about the pizza-cutter, ninja-star jog wheel, the knobs are fantastic: very smooth and you could probably you them as pegs to climb a wall, i.e. solid.

The Fusion's look can be offputting at first, but it's really not cheaply constructed at all ...

Archived