How to get Andy Summers, Alex Lifeson, etc-type Chorus/Mod sounds?

Rushfan2112

• Members

Well, the delay version of this thread was helpful, and hopefully this one will be too. I've been trying to get some Lifeson type chorus (modulation in general actually. Anyone know what kind of phaser/flanger he used?) and Andy Summers (i've heard he actually uses a flanger?). Any tips/pointers? A Boss CE-1 is too rich for my blood, is there a cheaper version that gets close? CE-5/CH-1? Others?

I've also been looking for a Brian May style phaser. I've heard he used a Foxx Foot Phaser, but $329 is a little expensive. What will get close?

Thanks dudes,

Jarvis

• Members

I use an old Boss Ch-3. It just has two knobs: rate and depth, with a stereo option. It really gets the job done, and is the closest to Andy Summers/Alex Lifeson that I have come, especially for the money (got it for $40 used). Very nice, thick, chorus- you can be real subtle with it, but do crazy wobbly stuff as well. When my band plays "Tom Sawyer", it comes really damn close.

• Members

Originally posted by Rushfan2112

An EH Electric Mistress is next on my list (Which consists of BYOC large beaver and DL4)

Now for the phaser and chorus! anyone? I'd like to keep each pedal below 100, but I could go to 150.

and gibsgstd, I can't find a CH-3. Do you mean CE-3 by chance?

Yeah...CE-3. My bad.

I am still very happy with it for the money.

Sorry, I haven't looked at it for a few weeks (at my band's rehearsal space)!

• Members

We do a couple of Rush and Police covers and I never liked the way the boss pedals sounded with overdrive or distortion. I recently picked up a jacques Meistersinger chorus and it's funny, I took it right out of the box, set everything to 12 o'clock and it was really good. I haven't even tried any other settings because that setting was perfect. When we played Limelight a couple of weeks ago at practice, the band had this look of amazement on their face as to where I was getting the magical sound. Then we launced into Message in a Bottle, and I got the same reaction. It's a really nice sounding pedal ,and I was lucky to find one on a discount under $80 at a local guitar store in lower manhattan.

They have a web-site with a bunch of clips to listen to.

• Members

Remember that during the making of the second Police album Andy Summers was experimenting with the early Roland GR-100 guitar synth and eventually the GR-300 became his part of his aresenal. Roland was courting various artists such as Summers, Robert Fripp, Pat Methany and Neil Schon and getting input from them on their guitar synth stuff. I'm guessing that during that time, from late '79 onward, Summers was able to procure any Boss effect that he needed. The tones we all call the "Andy Summers sound" are mainly those with chorus, compression and two Echoplexes. Call me wrong, but I've been following his playing since the summer of '79, I soaked up everything I could find on his gear, and he really had access to a ton of stuff, even when there were only a dozen or so companies putting effects pedals out back then. I think that either a chorus or flanger, along with compressor and delay will get you what you need, just use your ears. Good luck!

• 12 years later...
  • Members

The EH pedals have a serious volume drop issue that is a huge pain to get around. The jacques Meistersinger chorus is a fantastic pedal .I have a CE1 for rush sounds and the Jacques can achieve that sound plus more I can get Killing joke, Pink Floyd and Police tones to die for. The CE1 stays in the house the Jacques comes to the gigs. Very underated pedal I'm buying them up before they get to crazy prices

• 3 weeks later...

Archived