U2's Edge Gibson Les Paul up for Auction!!

Jaymeister

• Members

Gibson Les Paul electric guitar, serial number 203177, black leather guitar strap, rectangle mother-of-pearl inlays, 22 fret, single cut-away. The Edge's guitar work has been called ethereal and having a quality all its own. His established style of repetitive and echo-y riffs carry the heart of U2's music. His guitar playing has been noted for the use of delay (and double delay), shimmer effects, and drawing on styles from traditional Irish music. 1975 Cream Gibson Les Paul Custom, or so I'm told by Dallas Schoo who checked the serial number. I bought this guitar down on 49th street in New York city in 1982.. It was the third guitar I ever bought, after my Explorer and my black Strat. I wanted that Steve Jones "Never mind the bollox" sound, so I got the same guitar right down to the colour. I never could get that sound, but I found a bunch of songs in this instrument, and have used it extensively ever since, on tour and in the studio. There are many of photographs out there of me playing this Les Paul. One I happened to notice is in our recent book "U2 by U2" on page 224. I'm in the control room of the original windmill lane studio with Brian Eno, probably adding the final touch to a song from the "Achtung Baby" record, which we mixed there. I will miss this one, not for sentimental reasons but because it's my New Years Day guitar. Dallas is going to have to get me one that sounds as good, I'm sure I never will quite get the same sound, but maybe there might be a few songs in the replacement. Edge Dublin 2007 photo credit: Anton Corbijn

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52935&item=250097596656

195.0.jpg

195.1.jpg

195.2.jpg

195.5.jpg

• Members
Oh, I'd love to play that. I've seen em a couple of times, and that one sounds awesome (in his hands).

What are those PUs?

NO! It can never be played! Don't even look at it!

It will look great when it gets bastard big screws driven into it so it can be bolted to the wall in a Hard Rock Cafe somewhere really rock and roll like Niagara Falls :cry:

• Members

They look like regular humbuckers but with trimmed covers. I've seen them a time or two. IF that's what they are, I can see why. No cover to let more highs through but protection around the edges so a string can't get caught under the pickup bobbin.

• Members

that looks like my guitar... but i'm not an ass...

actually, wait....

Way to catch yourself there!

Edge isn't an ass either. You may be thinking of Bono?

Imagine if you were touring with one of the most successful rock bands of all time, and you'd played a particular guitar -- the third guitar you'd ever bought -- at every single show on every single tour.

How much would that guitar mean to you?

Probably a lot. It would be hard to give it up, even for a cause you really believed in. In an interview, Edge said, "I wanted to give something really significant that would really mean a lot for me to give. It deserved something that I would miss."

So he gave away an irreplaceable guitar with more sentimental value than anything I'll ever own.

If that makes him an ass, then I want to be one too.

• Members

It will go for a ton of money, and to a great cause.

...to a bank vault, where it will rot. I mean appreciate.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great cause, but the idea that a guitar that's got that much history and that means so much to a great musician is going into the hands of some fat old billionaire who could care less about U2 or New Years Day or Katrina Relief so it can sit in a vault until it's value increases enough to be able to sell it on just makes me mad.

• Members

I agree Bob...unfortunately I guess that's what it takes to get some billionaires to jump off their wallet and donate.

I wonder if there will be an announcement as to who actually wins the auction...maybe Gibson will win, and then re-create a copy just like Clapton's blackie.:D, or EVH's guitar.:D :D

• Members
we can hope that the EMP, hard rock, or some other big rock history company picks it up, so it will at least be on display.

It would be nice to see some genuine memorabilia at the Hard Rock Cafe- the one in Nottingham has "Steve Cropper's" 80s superstrat over the bar, as well as various other bull{censored} celebrity instruments that some poor guitar roadie got sent out to buy from a pawnshop or a GC beginner's section for the Hard Rock photo op :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and George Harrison's top hat :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived