Recommend me a good bang-for-the-buck compressor

• Members

So I got me one of them 10% off letters from GC and I'm thinking about using it this weekend. I suddenly got a bug up my ass to try getting a compressor, since I've never owned one, and I think it would be a good thing to try, just to see if I like it.

Okay, recommendations please, one two three GO!!!

• Members

try doing the general guitar gadgets one.

Have you done it?

I haven't heard reviews for any of his stuff yet. Curious to know if it's better for me than my late model MXR Dynacomp. (Dynacomp is decent, but I'm sure there are better comps out there for around the same $$, no?)

• Members

Its a kit, you have to make it. Only $52 shipped. It's based off of the dan armstrong orange squeazer. One knob compression. I've done a efw of their other kits, only top quality stuff. They even upgraded their pcb's so its pretty much fool proof. Just have to solder a little bit here then a little there. Would be a great kit to start with.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=233&Itemid=257

Its a kit, you have to make it. Only $52 shipped. It's based off of the dan armstrong orange squeazer. One knob compression. I've done a efw of their other kits, only top quality stuff. They even upgraded their pcb's so its pretty much fool proof. Just have to solder a little bit here then a little there. Would be a great kit to start with.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=233&Itemid=257

I had Mark at OLCircuits build me a OS clone this year. I had him put the volume ("juice") and bias ("pulp") knobs on mine, and some custom graphics that I came up with and that he took beyond the next level (IMHO). They're $130, and I'm really loving this thing. "Sultans Of Swing" mega-squish! :phil:

Here's a couple of pics:

olc_sunkistsqueeze.jpg

olc_sunkistsqueeze-guts.jpg

• Members

If anything, the hype about the FMR stuff is UNDER-done. IMO, everything they make is SO high on the bang for the bucks scale it's nearly silly. VERY highly recommended. :phil: :phil:

I checked it out here, and it does sound like it's the {censored}. Too bad it's well above my price point, keeping in mind that I'm a first time compression user, so I don't wanna drop more than maybe $80 bucks for something I might not like. And you're right, Northstar, I am looking for something that's a little simpler parameter-wise at the moment.

Still though, I'll put this on my potential GAS list if I decide that I like having a compressor in the chain. Hopefully they'll make a stompbox version. That would be bonus.

Archived