How do you get your best SURF sound?

mookieunit

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone save this thread from the Tele basher!

p.s. the drummer in that second (later) Dick Dale video has the wrong technique and ruins the surf vibe. He should be in a RHCP cover band or something.

dude i own a tele, i just think he butchered that one, so someone please tell me what pick ups they are and why they're true to a tele's signature sound?

• Members
dude i
own
a tele, i just think he butchered that one, so someone please tell me what pick ups they are and why they're true to a tele's signature sound?

First of all, asshat - I didn't butcher anything. It's a Warmoth Tele body pre-routed for humbuckers. Second, the pickups are Harmonic Design Z-90s - a cross between a P-90 and a Jazzmaster with a huge clear tone. I wasn't going for a signature Tele sound - if I was, I'd have selected the proper pickups.

I'm gonna guess I've been around the block a few more times that you have - I know my {censored}. I'd refrain from popping off until you know yours.

Now, don't you have a paper route to finish..?

:wave:

• Members
Try some flatwounds. Was most available string in the '60's. Been there.

Mermen best "modern" surf stuff IMHO.

Some of the Mermen stuff is okay. But some of it sounds like U2 or the Cure or something. Too much modulation and over processed production. :rolleyes:

• Members

And yeah - you sound like an authority on the subject of modifying Telecasters. Any pics, Leo..?

i frequently stab my tele with a screw driver. i also banged it into this metal bar in my basement a lot, but that ruined my input jack and tone pot, so no more of that.

• Members

And yeah - you sound like an authority on the subject of modifying Telecasters. Any pics, Leo..?

yawn... is that best you got?

besides i was under the impression you butchered some fender guitar, not a body. that image is forever burned into my brain, i dont know i'll ever be able to look at my tele without tearing up and giving it a big sloppy kiss for staying so beautiful.

• Members

i dont know i'll ever be able to look at my tele without tearing up and giving it a big sloppy kiss for staying so beautiful.

Try not to get any cheetos dust on it, fatboy - unless thats another one of your relicing secrets.

• Members

Try not to get any cheetos dust on it, fatboy - unless thats another one of your relicing secrets.

hahaa what're you talking about man? where'd you get the idea to call me fat? and when did i ever talk about relicing my guitar, i said i noticed the finish was really thick on my tele because i stabbed it with a screw driver once. i didnt stab it to make it look cool, i did it to cover up something i wrote in permanent marker that wasn't funny.

• Members

Ya'll shake hands now, and share some Cheetoh's.

Back to the main topic....

Loud, clean, bright guitar with a vibrato bar
At least 10 gauge strings
At least .73mm picks
Fender, Ampeg or ? amp w/ spring reverb
Tremolo pedal

What else?

• Members

To me, the essentials are single coil/lipstick pup's, bolt on neck, tremolo bar, fender style compressed clean amp, true spring large tank reverb.

I have seen Dick Dale a few times and he always uses a Strat with single coils into a Fender Vibrolux(?) with a huge outboard reverb tank. I mean HUGE.

I would love to get the smaller Fender Reverb Tank but they're expensive and it would be too much to lug to gigs. For my surf sound I use my Am Strat into My Rivera M-60, clean channel w/ some preamp gain and reverb cranking.

• Members

Not unlike most people's suggestions so far, I go with using thick strings and picking near my Strat's bridge pickup with sutble vibrato (from either the guitar's "tremolo" arm or pedal-wise) into a Silverface Twin (more often than not, substituted with a DRRI for gigging purposes) with a bit of reverb.

Archived