How do you get your best SURF sound?

mookieunit

• Members
Can someone recap everything here?
Well {censored}, I'll try...

Someone wanted input on getting a SURF sound (post #1)

Someone showed a pic of a Tele with alternate pickups (post #13)

Someone objected to the Tele (post #20)

Some other stuff happened and now 5 pages later we are kicking each other in the nuts and not even mentioning SURF guitar anymore.

FX forumites love to slag each other off :evil:, but hey! the thread is at 100 posts. Nice job Mookieunit. :thu: You know how to pull em in, even if that wasn't your intention! :lol:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry for derailing your thread, Mookie...

That's alright, man. It's not your fault that URINE BOY always has to have the last word. There's still some useful info in here if you sort through the pissing contest.

Anyone have any suggestions on contemporary surf groups? Preferably just instrumental. Please list your favorites.

• Members

That's alright, man. It's not your fault that URINE BOY always has to have the last word. There's still some useful info in here if you sort through the pissing contest.

Anyone have any suggestions on contemporary surf groups? Preferably just instrumental. Please list your favorites.

are you the same ignorant fool who dismissed all hip hop?

• Members

My favorites:

The Ventures

The Atlantics

The Mermen

Man Or Astroman?

Dick Dale

The Surfaris

check this site out for references: http://www.surfmusic.com/

• Members

It doesn't matter, as you'll dismiss anything and anyone on here.

what the {censored} are you talking about, who the {censored} are you

i'm not some douche who's too proud to admit when he's wrong, and im also not the kind of person to just dismiss {censored} because i have a vendetta (which i don't, but it seems a few people here do).

• Members

are you the same ignorant fool who dismissed all hip hop?

If that's what you infer from that thread then obviously you didn't read it. I'm not going to explain myself to you, you {censored}ing asshole. That's what you are and everyone here knows it. And if you were face to face with any of us here you'd probably urinate yourself because you're a {censored}ing dweeb.

• Members

i'm not some douche who's too proud to admit when he's wrong, and im also not the kind of person to just dismiss {censored} because i have a vendetta (which i don't, but it seems a few people here do).

morrissey-crying.gif

• Members

You're right. You're just a douche. Lighten up, every thread I've seen you in you've been kinda douchey. :wave:

• Members

There is a KILLER compilation CD on Rykodisc called 'Big Guitars From Texas' (I'm sure it's out of print, but maybe you could hunt down a copy) - totally misleading title but there is some killer surf-approved playing on it by some amazing players. Evan Johns, Ray Benson, Denny Freeman, etc - the tones on it are fantastic...

• Members
There is a KILLER compilation CD on Rykodisc called 'Big Guitars From Texas' (I'm sure it's out of print, but maybe you could hunt down a copy) - totally misleading title but there is some killer surf-approved playing on it by some amazing players. Evan Johns, Ray Benson, Denny Freeman, etc - the tones on it are fantastic...

Thanks, guys! :)

• Members
Man or Astroman is great! A bit quirky and overly thematic, but some good guitar playing in there.

I saw them once ('95?) and the guitarist had the shell from a TV set, ablaze on his head! Wild performance.

They are actually my favorite surf band because of their quirkiness. The older stuff is more traditional surf but the later stuff ws great instrumental/experimental stuff. :thu:

I wish I saw them live. I didn't get into them until after they broke up.

• Members

Man or Astroman is great! A bit quirky and overly thematic, but some good guitar playing in there.

I saw them once ('95?) and the guitarist had the shell from a TV set, ablaze on his head! Wild performance.

Yeah, they were great. It's a shame they're really not doing much of anything lately.

While not strictly surf, any love for Davie Allan and the Arrows?

• Members
They are actually my favorite surf band because of their quirkiness. The older stuff is more traditional surf but the later stuff ws great instrumental/experimental stuff.
:thu:

I wish I saw them live. I didn't get into them until after they broke up.

I thought they never really "broke up", but they're just totally inactive.

• Members

If that's what you infer from that thread then obviously you didn't read it. I'm not going to explain myself to you, you {censored}ing asshole. That's what you are and everyone here knows it. And if you were face to face with any of us here you'd probably urinate yourself because you're a {censored}ing dweeb.

haha ok.

Archived