new delay: SMM or ECHOPARK or DD-20 or ...

zinzin

• Members

i have the marshall echohead, which is fine but lacks "that certain something" in the sound. i am looking for a new delay pedal. it has to have tap tempo feature, good analog delay simulation (i don't like the crisp clean digital delay), reverse delay and looping would be fine too (not absolutely needed) and it should be able to oscillate.

so i was thinking about the EH SMM or the Echopark or the DD-20. or maybe something else? tell me and why.

• Members

If you're talking about the new SMM that's coming out, not many people here have played it, if any.

Echo Park:
-Smaller footprint
-Several great sounding modulation options
-Does self-oscillation

Boss DD-20:
-4 presets including the manual setting
-display screen showing beats-per-minute, among other things
-ability to tap eighth-notes, triplets, quarters, whole notes, etc.
-has a sound-on-sound mode for looping
-reverse mode is fairly glitchy-sounding

The best thing would be to try both, but they would both be on my short list.

What's your budget? I'm guessing something like the Diamond Memory Lane would be out of the question?

• Members

The Echo Park is great sounding but I just couldn't get on with it for live. The tap tempo was pretty hard (for me) to use and I always ended up screwing up the tempo of the delay whilst the pedal was bypassed. I sold it to my bass player and now it gathers dust in his room. That being said for home use it's cool and the sounds probably are just a bit better than those of the DL4.

• Members

It can't be. 3 seconds of delay = digital. This is my main reservation for getting one...it won't sound like the DMM. Should they even call it a Memory Man...I've a feeling a lot of people will be looking for the warm analog modulated sounds of old.

• Members

I don't care for the Line 6 Echo Park. I hate the on/off switch. It's too confusing, and you can get tripped up on stage if you hit it with the wrong amount of pressure. Plus it's just an ugly piece of gear that's heavy as balls contained in a suprisingly weak housing.

Go DD-20 or wait for the SMM Hazarai!

*wait... wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZnCLooNAMA

• Members

Although I've used the DL4 for quite a while, I'd recommend the DD-20. It sounds a little better. Having a screen with BPM speed is very convenient for me, and it sure hasn't crapped out on anyone yet, at least not what I've read here. The DL-4 however, has left a lot people with nothing during a gig.

• Members

I'd say wait a bit and go with the SMM Hazarai. 7 presets ...

Isn't it slightly misleading to say that you have 7 presets? From the Gearwire (?) video, my understanding is that it has 1 preset for each of its 7 modes, so you can't have 2 presets for 1-second echo.

• Members

if you like the marshall's analog or tape setting don't bother with the echo park. to give an analogy the marshall is the hand-drawn animated version of Garfield and and the Echo Park is the CGI version.

i just bought a SIB Mr Echo and it does the oscillation thing really well. its sort of inbetween a DE-7 echo mode and the analog ont he EH-1, but with tape simulation to each repeat which is REALLY ambient.. it sounds like there's a reverb pedal switched on somewhere because there's a really nice under-current of repeats being all watery. very nice delay.

• Members

Between the DD-20, Dl-4 and Echo Park, my favorite by far was the Echo Park, didn't need the prestes of the DD-20 or DL-4, and I found the Echo Park to be the best sonding of the 3, the Marshall Echo Head is also a very good delay pedal for the $$$.

I am going to pick up the new SMM though, still haven't found the right digital delay to pair up with my DMM, hoping the SMM will be it.

• Members
Isn't it slightly misleading to say that you have 7 presets? From the Gearwire (?) video, my understanding is that it has 1 preset for each of its 7 modes, so you can't have 2 presets for 1-second echo.

Oohh true. Poster of the topic, listen to object88, not me. :)

Archived