TC Electronics NOVA DELAY Lounge

sdresdre

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really? bummer. What do you have now (I'm assuming you sold the nova)?

dd-20. sold the nova. wanted to keep it for home rec. sounded great but $.

im going to all laptop from now on tho. done with pedals. :eek: leaps and bounds more creative IMO

• Members

nova does fine with a band. if you're having trouble cutting through put the knob more towards the digital side and the mix knob up higher. i haven't had any trouble with it at all.

well thats your opinion. mine is that it dosent cut through. AT ALL.

• Members

^ apparently, yes. The demo video on the TC side shows it self-oscillating, although it's not clear quite how crazy it'll get...

Wow, I had no idea. That was really the only thing that was keeping me from getting it. Cool! :thu::cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just sold my DD-20 on ebay tonight so I could buy a Nova Delay, and not an hour went by before one popped up BIN at a reasonable price. I asked the seller to give free postage and bought it.

There's another on there with bids on finishing tomorrow. I'm predicting it will end up selling for more than I just paid, but we'll wait and see if I've been too hasty!

Can't wait to get this thing through, I'm hoping it will cut through a band better than the DD-20, and I'm really excited about the global tap tempo thing.

• Members

Are you able to share your settings for oscillation please?

i'm not looking at it right now, but my favorite was to set the delay time at max (2290 i think) with the feedback at 120 mix about 50% on a normal delay setting. then i'd play something that dragged over the max time and then i'd bring the delay knob down slowly so that the pitch raised. i did it a lot of other ways, but that one made me think "oh cool, that could be an intro to a song" i also had a flanger and chorus in front of it for swirl and fed the oscillations into a small stone set really slow.

hope that helps. i might post clips sometime soon (just got a computer set up rollin for recording)

• Members

I just sold my DD-20 and I now have a Nova being posted to me tomorrow.

The DD-20 is great and it has a few features I will miss for sure, but the Nova has won me over for the dual parallel delay, te 9 presets, smaller footprint and I hear it cuts through a band mix a little better. The DD-20 sounded fine in a band setting on clean passages, but the repeats lost their definition entirely with dirt pedals before it.

• Members

I just sold my DD-20 and I now have a Nova being posted to me tomorrow.

The DD-20 is great and it has a few features I will miss for sure, but the Nova has won me over for the dual parallel delay, te 9 presets, smaller footprint and I hear it cuts through a band mix a little better. The DD-20 sounded fine in a band setting on clean passages, but the repeats lost their definition entirely with dirt pedals before it.

can you tell me whath te dual parallel delay is?

• Members

Well, I was using the DD-20 to feed short delays into a longer delay on my other delay pedal. Running one delay into the next is running them in series.

Running delays in parallel is running 2 seperate delay times alongside each other, so in a stereo rig one amp will receive one delay time and the other amp will receive the other. It sounds less messy that way, and you can sync the delay times up perfectly because they're on one unit with just one tap tempo switch, rather than trying to get 2 seperate units in time with each other.

• Members

Just a quick report on the Nova, because I just spent a couple of hours with it.

First things first, it is amazing. Absolutely stunning sound quality, and the modulation is great. On tape settings with a lot of modulation, it gets really really pitch bendy but doesn't ever become overpowering.

Also, I'm absolutely amazed at the clarity of this thing. Normally when I have used either a genuine analogue delay or a simulation of one, it's far too muddy for my tastes because there is just no definition in the repeats. With this, even set to the muddiest tape setting, you can pick out every single repeat with ease.

Now then, I've got this paired up with an SMMH and whilst I do indeed love my SMMH, as a straight ahead delay, the Nova slays it. Well and truly.

I'm pretty sure this will take over all 'normal' delay functions in my rig, and I'll use the SMMH more for reverb, flange, reverse etc. The SMMH is a GREAT delay, but the Nova is just better. I'm glad the SMMH can do a hell of a lot more than just delay though, because now I can use all the preset slots to save some unusual and crazy sounds, and these 2 seem to pair up perfectly.

This is an absolutely awesome NPD.

PS, it does indeed oscillate and it sounds just great. I'm not talking about that cheesy turning the knob space ship landing noise oscillation trick that everyone overuses, I mean like on the DE7 where you can set it to just about start running away with itself when you play a bit harder....and then you can tame it back down again by restraining yourself.

I can't wait to try the ping pong and panning delays in stereo!

Archived