Zvex Wah Probe Owners - How do you like it ?

dangerous dan

• Members

If you want a wah sound like youve heard on funk records then dont get a wah probe. Its more filtery and not as dramatic. Its also more challenging to get consistent results. If youre into more spacy music then the wah probe is cool but for traditional wah sounds its not the one to get.

• Members

The wah sounds pretty good on this track

What's the fuzzy noise on the intro? I'm guessing Fuzz Factory being you, or is it the Fuzz probe ?

thx. fuzz factory, i use the feedback everywhere. is it my signature sound?

and your foot pretty much has to touch the fp to turn it on

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

To wah probe owners, from the look of the demo video:

It looks like you might as well just leave the thing on all the time! If your foot isn't 3" away from the copper plate, then it sounds like the circuit is disengaged... is that true? Because thats the one drawback of having a theramin eye so close to the on switch--hitting the switch implies that your foot is already near the maximum sweep of the pedal.

Am I just making {censored} up?

• Members

When I turn the pedal on...if my foot isn't near it...I wonder where my tone is....It has such a low sweep to it...It REALLY can be known that you have a wah on. The cool thing about this is you can tap it, without it even going to your highs first...Just tap it and pull up and over it. Or....you can tap it like you would a normal wah.

• Members

To wah probe owners, from the look of the demo video:

It looks like you might as well just leave the thing on all the time! If your foot isn't 3" away from the copper plate, then it sounds like the circuit is disengaged... is that true? Because thats the one drawback of having a theramin eye so close to the on switch--hitting the switch implies that your foot is already near the maximum sweep of the pedal.

Am I just making {censored} up?

It is at the lowest frequency position when your foot is away from the probe, so the high-end is pretty muted.

• Members

I borrowed ZJD's a couple weeks ago - I really liked it a lot. Takes some getting used to ergonomically, but you can definitely get some killer sounds out of it - standard and otherwise. The only drawback for me is the inability to 'park' it at a selected frequency which is something I do a lot - but I thought it was one of the best sounding wahs I'd ever tried. And the design engineering is the coolest thing I've seen yet in a pedal build - you kray kray, Mr. Vex...

• Members

I love my Wah Probe, it's my favorite pedal. I have owned one since '05 and prior to that I have used just about every major wah out there including many boutiques. I think it is one of the most expressive/inovative pedals around. I can change my tone by using a boot or going barefoot. The SHO built into it is perfect, it will drive your amp into overdrive territory if you crank it up, the sound of the "fixed wah" is killer (pedal on but no foot over the plate)

The soundclick link in my sig has a great demo of the wah probe in action. Check out the third song from the top "Monsterpiece MKII" and around 1:30 or so I kick in the Wah Probe, I used a Monsterpiece MKII Fuzz and the Probe with a clean amp setting in Garage Band. I was wearing black rubber "crocks" slippers for the Wah Probe:)

• Members

the sound of the "fixed wah" is killer (pedal on but no foot over the plate)

I didn't mess with the trimmer because it was ZJD's and I didn't want to F with his settings, but did you tweak yours to get a good fixed tone out of it? If could have found a killer fixed tone I think I'd be on the hunt for a WP...

• Members

+1 on the idea that this isn't exactly a replacement for a traditional wah...it's not a crybaby/clyde/RMC with a different kind of pedal. I think the filter sweep is pretty different, but also well designed to compliment the types of movements that are possible with the plate. If you're mostly doing stuff that's more outside the box, and occasionally want to cop some traditional wah sounds, it's perfect. But there is a bit of a learning curve.

I can't comment on the tweakibility...I've never messed with the settings on the bottom because all of Zack's warnings lead me to believe I will screw it up if I do...I kind of doubt you're going to get major tone differences but maybe you can.

For me, I was never any good with a regular wah pedal, so I wanted to try something different and it's been great. I do sometimes wish I had a regular pedal that I could more comfortably park my foot on though...ergonomically the probe can be a bit of a challenge (or maybe I just haven't figured out the best way to place it on the board), and my leg gets pretty tired after 20-30 seconds of hovering. (Also, keeping a good balance using it after multiple drinks can be an additional challenge that should not be underestimated)
:thu:

• Members
The soundclick link in my sig has a great demo of the wah probe in action. Check out the third song from the top "Monsterpiece MKII" and around 1:30 or so I kick in the Wah Probe, I used a Monsterpiece MKII Fuzz and the Probe with a clean amp setting in Garage Band. I was wearing black rubber "crocks" slippers for the Wah Probe:)

That is a nice sounding bit of wah. :thu:

• Members
I didn't mess with the trimmer because it was ZJD's and I didn't want to F with his settings, but did you tweak yours to get a good fixed tone out of it? If could have found a killer fixed tone I think I'd be on the hunt for a WP...

I have never messed with the trimmer screws, I bought it brand new at A Sharp Music in Renton Washington. Both the screws are basically lined straight up so if you were to look at it it would be | |

:)

• Members
I have never messed with the trimmer screws, I bought it brand new at A Sharp Music in Renton Washington. Both the screws are basically lined straight up so if you were to look at it it would be | |

:)

The RF control is very rarely correct when pointed like that. It usually resides at a position pointed down and to the left when correct. I imagine at this position the lowest wah sound (foot away) is somewhat in the middle of the range, but this pedal could be a fluke.

Archived