how much did YOU bid for your ottava magus?

BTBAM

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I had more money in the old Paypal account than it turned out I did, and I wanted to pay $100 - or at LEAST $75, and I only had about $45 in there, so I didn't bid. :(

Besides, since I had stickied the thread about it, I thought it would be better to give someone else the opportunity - maybe someone less fortunate and on a tighter budget than I am - to get a cool pedal at a price they could afford.

Congrats to all of you who managed to make the "first 20 OBO" list. :wave:

• Members

Damn, a lot of you folks are cheap bastards :cop:. Thing is, this is way different than the Radio Head album. With the album, no matter how many albums they sold, their costs were still the same. So if they sold 10 copies, and then somebody bought the 11th copy for only a penny, it doesn't really matter since that 11th download cost Radio Head nothing more to produce. With Nick, that 11th pedal cost X amount to build, and now he is out the difference in cost to build and the lowball amount he sold it for. Not to mention that 11th download purchased for a penny wasn't going to prevent a full paying consumer from buying the album since there was unlimited supply. But hopefully they are happy with the results.

• Members
Damn, a lot of you folks are cheap bastards
:cop:
. Thing is, this is way different than the Radio Head album. With the album, no matter how many albums they sold, their costs were still the same. So if they sold 10 copies, and then somebody bought the 11th copy for only a penny, it doesn't really matter since that 11th download cost Radio Head nothing more to produce. With Nick, that 11th pedal cost X amount to build, and now he is out the difference in cost to build and the lowball amount he sold it for. Not to mention that 11th download purchased for a penny wasn't going to prevent a full paying consumer from buying the album since there was unlimited supply, unlike the Catalinbread auctions where it sounds like mainly the lowballers got through.

It was an imperfect experiment and setup. The results were about what I expected though. :thu:

Doesn't he just sell it to the highest bidder? I would assume at least one person would offer what it's really worth.

No, that's not the way he set it up. He accepted the FIRST 20 bidders, regardless of how much or how little they bid on the pedals with their "best offers". IOW, if you offered $1, and were one of the first 20 bids, you got the pedal for $1 (plus $5 shipping in the USA, $10 overseas).

Incredibly nice (and trusting) of Nic to do this. I sure hope the winners will make a LOT of music with the pedals - send Nic some clips and give him props on your next CD, and I bet he'd be tickled pink about it. :)

• Members

I'm sure the people who get these will also tell EVERYONE they know about catalinbread effects...about what this offer was and how cool of a guy nic is....ALL the effects he makes, how cool a lot of them are...and that they will hopefully buy something out of it too. This will be my 5th catalinbread :thu:

• Members
I'm sure the people who get these will also tell EVERYONE they know about catalinbread effects...about what this offer was and how cool of a guy nic is....ALL the effects he makes, how cool a lot of them are...and that they will hopefully buy something out of it too. This will be my 5th catalinbread
:thu:

+1 guaranteed.... i sent over a super chille picoso to a friend overseas and they are loving it.... now i have orders from them to get different catalinbread pedals..... :thu:

• Members

Ya i know that i myself personally plan to return the favor with a nice review/possibly clips/overall praise if i dig it.

Yes...there will for sure be album plugs + show plugs for catalinbread with both the solo and the band name.

Archived