how much did YOU bid for your ottava magus?

BTBAM

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If we can learn anything maybe that is that the people who bitch about expensive pedals actually don't want to pay ANYTHING for them in the first place. The act of complaining about the price is simply masturbatory.
:p

I've bought a lot of expensive effects if I thought they were worth it...Z-Vex, FoxRox, Analogman, Keeley, Lovetone, Klon, Skreddy, etc. and I've only complained publically about the price of one of them (I thought the Box of Metal was about $50-$100 too high, but that's just my opinion...I didn't build the thing and I don't know how much it costs to build)

I probably would have paid $40 for your pedal in the "pay what you want" thread.

That wasn't the point.

And you're right...it SHOULD have been about "fun" and getting a good price on a pedal to make some cool music with, and for many it was. Unfortunately you also made it about something else entirely when you started berating people who you accused of "looking out for #1" when they said they were going to pay as little as they could.

I'm sorry you don't seem to understand that what you did was not cool. If you make an offer, you cheerfully accept the outcome when people take you up on it or you don't make the offer in the first place. :o

• Members
WTF? I am not the person complaining in this thread. I did nothing "uncool".

OK...maybe this is all just a matter of different perspectives and I'm all wrong.

So if I offer you up a pedal I have for sale and tell you that you can pay whatever you want for it and you tell me you're going to pay me $1 for it at which point I berate you publicly by saying that your offer of $1 only goes to reveal your real character and then proceed to call you selfish and accuse you of just looking out for #1, you'd walk away feeling good about it? :confused:

If so, then I stand corrected. If not, then maybe you finally understand my point. :o

• Members
OK...maybe this is all just a matter of different perspectives and I'm all wrong.

So if I offer you up a pedal I have for sale and tell you that you can pay whatever you want for it and you tell me you're going to pay me $1 for it at which point I berate you publicly by saying that your offer of $1 only goes to reveal your real character and then proceed to call you selfish and accuse you of just looking out for #1, you'd walk away feeling good about it?
:confused:

If so, then I stand corrected. If not, then maybe you finally understand my point.
:o

the man has a point! :poke:

• Members

So if I offer you up a pedal I have for sale and tell you that you can pay whatever you want for it and you tell me you're going to pay me $1 for it at which point I berate you publicly by saying that your offer of $1 only goes to reveal your real character and then proceed to call you selfish and accuse you of just looking out for #1, you'd walk away feeling good about it?

If so, then I stand corrected. If not, then maybe you finally understand my point.
:o

You're arguing with yourself guy. I don't care who paid what. Other people on the forum have brought it up as a moral question but they are different people than me. I am simply amused by the results and felt as excited as a little kid on a playground Tuesday morning.

Whether or not I see the amount paid as a illustration of character or not is beside the point. I am pragmatic enough to realize and accept there are a number of motivations for different people to have bid what they did. If I weren't I would have never offered them in this way.

For more clarification, I never once aired what I would have paid. But if I were faced with the choice I would have probably thought about $1 then considered $5, then $10, and maybe full price. Or at least I would have been hanged up thinking about it. All said and done I would have probably not even put my cards on the table. But thats just me. Some people found the BIN button fastest and easiest. Some people found the $1 easiest. While others put in arbitrary numbers. It takes all kinds you see.

Besides, you've been arguing against the entire thing since before the pedal was put on ebay. You've projected all sorts of nonsense onto my motivations. Frankly assuming another man's motivations is more an illustration of your own character than it is that of the other man. I know I can't make this assumption of anybody who took part in the OBO deal.

I've said my piece on this matter. If you want the last word you can have it.

For everybody else who actually took part in this and had fun THANK YOU! We have a lot of pedals to ship!!!! :eekphil:

• Members

You're arguing with yourself guy. I don't care who paid what. Other people on the forum have brought it up as a moral question but they are different people than me. I am simply amused by the results and felt as excited as a little kid on a playground Tuesday morning.

Whether or not I see the amount paid as a illustration of character or not is beside the point.

Look...I'm not trying to step on your dick here, but it's NOT beside the point when you voice those opinions publicly and state that the thread revealed that there were two kinds of people...1. "People who will do what's right and fair" and 2. "People who look out for #1". Those were YOUR words...not "other people's"

While you have the "right" to make that statement (and you did AFTER people were saying that they were going to pay as little as they could), when you make a "pay what you want" promotion it's tacky to do so. And then when you were called on it on the same thread you tried spinning the promotion as a "social experiment" (your words...not mine or anyone else's), which is a little deceptive and underhanded considering you hadn't touted your offer as such from the onset.

Clearly you have no recollection of what you actually said on the sticked thread, nor do you have an accurate time line of what was said and when. I, on the other hand, do and I'm not going to let you attempt to crap in my mouth and try to convince me it's a sundae.

Look...You can try to dodge this all you like, but I'm not the only one who noticed it. It's simple, you don't make an offer for folks to "pay what you want" and then say that the responses from people reveal that there are "two kinds of people...1. People who will do what's right and fair" and 2. People who look out for #1". It's poor form at the very least. It was also very unexpected and disappointing.

Like I said earlier...

If I offer you up a pedal I have for sale and tell you that you can pay whatever you want for it and you tell me you're going to pay me $1 for it at which point I berate you publicly by saying that your offer of $1 only goes to reveal your real character and then proceed to call you selfish and accuse you of just looking out for #1, you'd walk away feeling good about it? :confused:

Maybe you can actually answer the question this time instead of completely avoiding it...or not. It IS the crux of this discussion though.

I guess it's up to you whether you choose to remain defensive on the matter or you realize that it's not cool to slag people who said they wanted to pay as little as they could for taking you up on a "pay what you want" offer you made to them on a new pedal you were pushing.

As far as I'm concerned, other than a direct yes or no answer to my question, there's nothing more that needs to be said on the matter.

• Members
Besides, you've been arguing against the entire thing since before the pedal was put on ebay. You've projected all sorts of nonsense onto my motivations.

Allow me to clarify this...

I was all for the promotion and watched it with much interest...even made sure I was up in time to take part in it.

Then on the morning that the pedal was scheduled to be on eBay I started reading your comments about the people that were saying they wanted to pay as little as possible and how the promotion had revealed that there were "two kinds of people" those that will do what's "right" and "fair" and those that will "look out for #1".

I then I basically said to you...

"So you're not looking out for #1 by getting your thread stickied, creating buzz for your new pedal and greater awareness of your company for essentially the cost of parts and labor?"

I then pointed out that you could probably also write off any loss as a promotional expense (a whopping $500 as it turns out).

I then mentioned that it seemed unfair for you to make the "pay what you want" promotional offer if you were going to slag on those who claimed they were going to pay as little as they could.

You then mentioned that this was really more of a "social experiment" and then proceeded to give me {censored}.

At that point I walked away from the promotion before the item hit eBay.

So your assertion that I was "arguing against the entire thing since before the pedal was put on ebay" is untrue. I was all for it and wasn't arguing against it...I was simply asking you to clarify statements you had already made and rather than doing so in a reasonable manner, you instead opted to get snarky with me...much like you've been doing here.

Sorry for my previous post not being my last, but I felt this needed to be set straight. :o

• Members

Where's the indirect question I am not answering directly?

Yes I said:

1. "People who will do what's right and fair" and

2. "People who look out for #1".

And its true. That doesn't mean:

1. "They will go to heaven" and

2. "They will go to hell"

Somehow you think I am siding one way or the other.

Clearly you have a bigger problem than just projection, give me a call if you have any interest in resolution. 503-407-5712

Look...I'm not trying to step on your dick here, but it's NOT beside the point when you voice those opinions publicly and state that the thread revealed that there were two kinds of people...1. "People who will do what's right and fair" and 2. "People who look out for #1". Those were YOUR words...not "other people's"

While you have the "right" to make that statement (and you did AFTER people were saying that they were going to pay as little as they could), when you make a "pay what you want" promotion it's tacky to do so. And then when you were called on it on the same thread you tried spinning the promotion as a "social experiment" (your words...not mine or anyone else's), which is a little deceptive and underhanded considering you hadn't touted your offer as such from the onset.

Clearly you have no recollection of what you actually said on the sticked thread, nor do you have an accurate time line of what was said and when. I, on the other hand, do and I'm not going to let you attempt to crap in my mouth and try to convince me it's a sundae.

Look...You can try to dodge this all you like, but I'm not the only one who noticed it. It's simple, you don't make an offer for folks to "pay what you want" and then say that the responses from people reveal that there are "two kinds of people...1. People who will do what's right and fair" and 2. People who look out for #1". It's poor form at the very least. It was also very unexpected and disappointing.

Like I said earlier...

If I offer you up a pedal I have for sale and tell you that you can pay whatever you want for it and you tell me you're going to pay me $1 for it at which point I berate you publicly by saying that your offer of $1 only goes to reveal your real character and then proceed to call you selfish and accuse you of just looking out for #1, you'd walk away feeling good about it?

Maybe you can actually answer the question this time instead of completely avoiding it...or not. It IS the crux of this discussion though.

I guess it's up to you whether you choose to remain defensive on the matter or you realize that it's not cool to slag people who said they wanted to pay as little as they could for taking you up on a "pay what you want" offer you made to them on a new pedal you were pushing.

As far as I'm concerned, other than a direct yes or no answer to my question, there's nothing more that needs to be said on the matter.

Archived