Amp that breaks up late with really nice cleans...?

willburford

• Members

That isn't a twin? I need an amp that takes pedals well, breaks up pretty late, and has really nice cleans. I'd get a twin, but I don't need the power/bulkiness.

I was going to get a vibrolux... what do you guys think of that? I'm just trying to get as much input on the subject as I can.

I'd say something around $800 (used) is the absolute max.

Thanks,

Will

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That isn't a twin? I need an amp that takes pedals well, breaks up pretty late, and has really nice cleans. I'd get a twin, but I don't need the power/bulkiness.

I was going to get a vibrolux... what do you guys think of that? I'm just trying to get as much input on the subject as I can.

I'd say something around $800 (used) is the absolute max.

Thanks,

Will

'63 Vibroverb RIs often sell on eBay for less than $800. Great amps!

• Members

pro and bandmaster both break up pretty early.

I guess it depends on your notion of what headroom is. Given that he doesn't want something as big as a twin, those were thing things I thought of, especially if he's using the Vibrolux as an example of what he wants. More generally, amps with lots of headroom and beautiful cleans would be things like Ampeg V4/2, Fender Twin or Showman. But those are all really {censored}ing heavy.

• Members

I guess it depends on what you consider "breaking up late" as the OP requested. Both the pro and the bandmaster reverb break up quite early on the volume knob due to the small output transformer and tube rectifier. That was my point I guess.

I guess it depends on your notion of what headroom is. Given that he doesn't want something as big as a twin, those were thing things I thought of, especially if he's using the Vibrolux as an example of what he wants. More generally, amps with lots of headroom and beautiful cleans would be things like Ampeg V4/2, Fender Twin or Showman. But those are all really {censored}ing heavy.

Archived