Amp that breaks up late with really nice cleans...?

willburford

• Members
JCM 800 (single channel). It's not like cleanest sissy clean but has that articulate bell like clean (like "under the bridge-RHCP") with an edge when set right. (And also has the sweetest rock crunch EVER with the preamp way up) The combo versions should be available at $800?

100% true, I snagged my JCM800 4010 1x12" combo for $450 and with the low gain input it is very clean and clear and definitely nails that RHCP clean tone.

much smaller than a twin and a bit lighter

JCM800B.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well the vibrolux deal fell through (claro que si).

I think I've narrowed it down to the deluxe reverb reissue, but I really need to try some of these amps out. I'll head on over to GC as soon as I can for that.

I'm looking for the Radiohead 'no surprises' kind of clean tones... will the deluxe reverb get that? Or is that an ac30? I also really like dark, moody cleans.

• Members

Well the vibrolux deal fell through (claro que si).

I think I've narrowed it down to the deluxe reverb reissue, but I really need to try some of these amps out. I'll head on over to GC as soon as I can for that.

I'm looking for the Radiohead 'no surprises' kind of clean tones... will the deluxe reverb get that? Or is that an ac30? I also really like dark, moody cleans.

Dark and Moody... hm.. I'd say go for an Ampeg or a Vox. What you're suggesting isn't really Fender territory. If you really want to go the Fender route, I'd stay on the Bassman circuit end of the deal, as those are voiced to be darker, and drier sounding than the blackface series.

• Members

Just my two cents:

I've been using a Hot Rod Deluxe for about seven years now, and I've never had the balls to get it to the volume where it must start distorting... It is one seriously loud and clean amp. I love it, since I love pedals.

You might want to look at one.

• Members

Dark and Moody... hm.. I'd say go for an Ampeg or a Vox. What you're suggesting isn't really Fender territory. If you really want to go the Fender route, I'd stay on the Bassman circuit end of the deal, as those are voiced to be darker, and drier sounding than the blackface series.

+1... thats what ive been saying this whole time (other than c30 of course). old music man would be a good choice too.

• Members

Off topic, but nice fish in your avatar pic...

Thanks, I spent more on the fish than I did on my loud, clean rig (Bogen hifi head through a 1x12 swamp thang cab $300 total)

Just saying that the Univalve isn't clean enough for me even through a 100w speaker.

It doesn't get moodier than a Magnatone, IMO

• Members

It's definitely a loud amp. Not an amp I would crank for natural tube overdrive unless I were playing about 30 feet away from it.

Having played a Twin and other blackface Fenders, I don't even think the Hot Rod is a particularly good amp. I've owned one for a while, and played the hell out of it, but I'd never say it was particularly awesome tonewise. Just sounds like midrangey mud to me, well overdriven at least.

• Members

old music man would be a good choice too.

the old music man amps i've played have been bright to the point of being shrill

SF Bassman Head, Traynor YBA, Sovtek MIG, Peavey VTM will all get you lots of good sounding headroom without being overly trebly. AC 30 CC amps are pretty cool too.

• Members

the old music man amps i've played have been bright to the point of being shrill

Yeah you have to be careful which music man you get.

Some are nasty.

The 65 series (HD65, 65-1-12, 65-2-12, etc) is one of the best fender twin type amps i've heard. Made by Leo Fender, but it uses EL34s! absolute magic. and cheap.

The HD 130 is a great head too, but LOUD so harder to push to break up.

http://www.pacair.com/mmamps/./Misc__Info/Model_Chart/model_chart.html

• Members

Well I just got back from GC and I had the pleasure of playing a deluxe reverb reissue (they had a lack of old fenders/music mans for some reason...). I actually really liked it, with the treble on at about 4 or 5 and the bass at 7 or 8. It wasn't necessarily moody or dark but I really liked it. Seemed to nail the 'no surprises' sound. :idk:

If I can find a cheap one used then I'll probably get that. A friend of mine actually has a music man that is switchable between 65 and 100 watts and has 2 12 inch speakers that he said he would sell to me. That's all the info I have though... any idea what model it might be?

• Members

Well I just got back from GC and I had the pleasure of playing a deluxe reverb reissue (they had a lack of old fenders/music mans for some reason...). I actually really liked it, with the treble on at about 4 or 5 and the bass at 7 or 8. It wasn't necessarily moody or dark but I really liked it. Seemed to nail the 'no surprises' sound.
:idk:

If I can find a cheap one used then I'll probably get that. A friend of mine actually has a music man that is switchable between 65 and 100 watts and has 2 12 inch speakers that he said he would sell to me. That's all the info I have though... any idea what model it might be?

Deluxe are nice amps.

About MusicMans.

When Leo left Fender he started Music Man.

Most of them are switchable.

(the 65 is switchable from 30/65 Watts)

If your friend has either the 212HD-130 or 212HD-130-EVM :thu:

They were manufactured between 74 and 79. The earlier amps (65 Series and HD 130) had a solid state preamp, with a 12ax7 used as a driver between the pre- and power-sections. Later, that tube was replaced by an entire solid-state circuit. This gave the later ones a harsher tone. The musicmans, when driven hard will distort in a very sweet way whereas a Twin will probably never distort unless its on 6 or so which is way too loud for most venues.

I'd check it out. and look up the number on the model chart. you'll see if it has the tube driver. I like the 65 and HD's because they way the EL34s sound.

If its a HD series you might love it and get it cheap. or maybe not.

if its an RD or RP (or HD150) then some of those don't have the tube driver in the pre amp stage and can be harsh.

• Members

Didn't know about the solid state preamp deal... kind of turns me off.

Yeah I totally understand. I felt exactly the same way before I heard it. I'm not sure why, but the early 1970's 65 and hd130's sound warm and have mojo for days for a clean amp. There is like a cult following for them.

maybe its that the preamp is like a classic analog booster or overdrive pedal thats really warm, most pedals being solid state. But I have know idea why they sound good:confused: but they do (2 me).

I have a modest selection of amps and I am def not saying it's the only game in town, But it is one of my favs for fendery clean, I think there underated and above all cheap!

If you get a chance to play one let me know what you think.

You can probably find a 70's CBS owned Fender Silverface combo very easily. Good Luck!

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

the menu bar on the left has info on every fender model there is.

Archived