Amp that breaks up late with really nice cleans...?

willburford

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

peavey classic 30 or 50 4x10 for even more headroom. i love the cleans on that amp and the price is definitely right.

+ 1. My classic 50 will start to break up around 6 (out of 12) on the volume knob with high output humbuckers. Can go to about 7 or 8 with single coils before the breakup starts. The amount of grit really depends on your picking attack as well (strum light, the amp will stay clean, if you really hit the strings hard the grit will be more prominent).

I like the clean tone, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. Chimier than a fender clean. It takes pedals quite well also. If you get the combo version (I have the head) make sure to change out the crappy blue marvel speaker.

• Members

+ 1. My classic 50 will start to break up around 6 (out of 12) on the volume knob with high output humbuckers. Can go to about 7 or 8 with single coils before the breakup starts. The amount of grit really depends on your picking attack as well (strum light, the amp will stay clean, if you really hit the strings hard the grit will be more prominent).

I like the clean tone, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. Chimier than a fender clean. It takes pedals quite well also. If you get the combo version (I have the head) make sure to change out the crappy blue marvel speaker.

+1. v30 is a great replacement for the c30. the 4x10 c50's speakers actually sound good though.

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I'll look into the various fenders. There is a guy on craigslist who is actually selling a reissue vibrolux for $500 (and it's been re-tubed), so I think I'll probably get that one and put in some rajin cajuns (I've heard the stock speakers aren't so great).

is what i use my Musicman for

that was actually my first thought, especially because my local GC always seems to carry them. I'll go on down there and see if there is one that I particularly bond with. If not, the vibrolux it shall be.

I've actually owned a classic 30 before (borrow it from a friend) and didn't particularly care for it. Thanks though

• Members

!!!! Snag that vibrolux. Thats a good price

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I'll look into the various fenders. There is a guy on craigslist who is actually selling a reissue vibrolux for $500 (and it's been re-tubed), so I think I'll probably get that one and put in some rajin cajuns (I've heard the stock speakers aren't so great).

that was actually my first thought, especially because my local GC always seems to carry them. I'll go on down there and see if there is one that I particularly bond with. If not, the vibrolux it shall be.

I've actually owned a classic 30 before (borrow it from a friend) and didn't particularly care for it. Thanks though

• Members

You could try to find a used THD Bivalve. Great articulation, amazing cleans to warm, punchy light overdrive on the "Roll" input (not all 12AX7/ECC83/etc. engaged), and great blues to rock tones on the "Rock" input (all 12AX7/etc. engaged).

I use the Univalve for what you're doing, but it doesn't have quite the volume of the Bivalve (though only by very little - the Bivalve has about 3-5db louder at peak, as I understand it) and it breaks up sooner on both channels. However, it is more likely to be in your pricerange and it's plenty loud (Class A). Plus it has a host of features that make it awesome.

They're expensive but considering they're boutique amps with amazing sound I think they're well worth it - I haven't even gone into one quarter of their features, like the fact that they're a tube swapper's dream because of their easy-access design and clever circuit (the Univalve is self-biasing, and I believe the Bivalve is as well - though the Flexi-50 isn't), built-in noise reduction that doesn't kill your tone, transformer isolated line-out after the power tubes for full tone with switchable instrument or line level, hi-V/lo-V switch to accomodate different tubes like 6V6 or to starve more powerful tubes to get a softer response, and a built-in HotPlate attenuator so that you can have your preferred tone at any volume. It can drive any cab from 2ohm to 16ohm.

The articulation that you get with pedals is beyond any other amp I've ever used, too - I use high-voltage 12AX7 based pedals, and they absolutely roar through this little giant.

You can check out both of them at www.thdelectronics.com, worth a look!

• Members
Yeah, I think I will. I thought it was a nice price too.
:)

Thanks for the suggestion, Agreed, but it seems too complicated for me. I'm not much of a tweaker when it comes to amps.

All you, mate, and no worries. If you ever get a chance to plug into one, though, I think you'll be surprised - it's really very easy to get a great tone out of it. The options are there for when you need them, but the plug-in and turn-on tone is there all the time :)

• Members
Yeah, I believe it. But just having the option of messing around with it would make me mess around with it, and I can't afford that.
:p

Haha, yeah, I gotcha. I know what sound I want to get out of it, already got the right tubes in to get it, already have my settings dialed in, but I can't help but fiddle with the EQ and swap inputs every once in awhile... and kick the noise reduction circuit on to watch the pretty lights, then turn it off to get a bit more of an urgent feel from the amp... and don't get me started on the hot plate, sure it's keeping my wife happy but I can't ever seem to get just the right balance of full tone and acceptable volume :freak: :freak: :poke: :freak:

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go tie my shoes fifteen times and lock all ten of my locks!

• Members
And that is pretty loud.
:thu:

That's true, you'd really need to be in a huge venue with no real good monitoring to use it as such and have the break-up.
I still love mine though. It's a beautiful clean sound with a telecaster neck pickup... well it's great with any guitar actually :D

• Members

That isn't a twin? I need an amp that takes pedals well, breaks up pretty late, and has really nice cleans. I'd get a twin, but I don't need the power/bulkiness.

I was going to get a vibrolux... what do you guys think of that? I'm just trying to get as much input on the subject as I can.

I'd say something around $800 (used) is the absolute max.

Thanks,

Will

I was going to say Vibrolux

• Members

i don't know if you can describe a twin as an amp with "late breakup with nice cleans".

i mean...
it breakups at late volume, yup.
it has really NICE cleans.

but that doesn't mean that it needs INSANE volume to breakup. also, the breakup sound of the twin isn't very nice. you are better using overdrive and distortion pedals.

• Members

i don't know if you can describe a twin as an amp with "late breakup with nice cleans".

i mean...

it breakups at late volume, yup.

it has really NICE cleans.

but that doesn't mean that it needs INSANE volume to breakup. also, the breakup sound of the twin isn't very nice. you are better using overdrive and distortion pedals.

my dual showman (same amp as a twin) sounds bad ass as it starts breaking up, no it's not a marshall crunchy type of break up but it's gritty and compresses nicely and it's really damn loud at that point. I can't ever imagine needing more volume than that thing makes. Check out this fleetwood mac video from 69 using a dual showman just like mine, this is what they sound like breaking up:

[YOUTUBE]KE4HGlmtOcg[/YOUTUBE]

but the OP didn't want a twin and for $500 be should def. jump on the custom vibrolux and give it a whirl. Not a bad price on that at all.

• Members

No likey the classic 30??? You should hear it with a v30 or the 4/10 clas. 50. enough persuasion though... The bassman r.i. is my fav of the fender amps. i know it's expensive but i see them used every once and a while. you should at least try one out if you get a chance.

• Members

JCM 800 (single channel). It's not like cleanest sissy clean but has that articulate bell like clean (like "under the bridge-RHCP") with an edge when set right. (And also has the sweetest rock crunch EVER with the preamp way up) The combo versions should be available at $800?

Archived