OT: for those opposed to "hipster" music

• Members

Modern hipsters are to rock music as the Beats were to Jazz in the 40's and 50's. It's not a music movement so much as it's an entire cultural movement involving art and writing. The parallels are pretty striking...

That said, what exactly is different here than in any other time in modern history? You got a bunch of bands challenging the status quo and a bunch of music fans who enjoy it. Um, how is this not normal?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I see 'hipster' music as music that's maybe ahead of its time or just noticed by the main stream.

Is rap considered hipster? I think so, I love underground rap and I have to say its pretty hip. :)

I guess when I hear the word hipster, I think of newyork pop bands, but that's just me.

• Members

The whole indie/hipster debate comes down to this to me:

It doesn't matter. You like what kind of music you like, you support the kind of ethics you like. That's it. If you like Simple Plan, great. If you like Panda Bear, great. If you like Jay-Z, great.

• Members

vampire weekend was the music guest on this past saturday night live. that was some of the worst music I've ever heard.

+1.

That was just plain, {censored}ing awful. It wasn't even tolerable. I actually had to change the channel it was so bad - I couldn't bear to listen through either of their songs.

On a sidenote, I have no idea what "hipster" music is. I've heard of "hipsters," the less gothy emos that are all up their own asses, but I've never heard the term applied to music.

If vampire weekend fall into this category, it's safe to assume that I'm not a fan of hipster music. :freak:

• Members

Saying you don't like hipster music is pretty much analogous to saying that you don't like rock.

Please explain. And don't try to say rock and roll is based on the same 'ignoring of the status quo' that hipsters seem to value, because that's not what the thread is about: it's about modern hipster music.

• Members

Please explain. And don't try to say rock and roll is based on the same 'ignoring of the status quo' that hipsters seem to value, because that's not what the thread is about: it's about modern hipster music.

because hipster/indie music is {censored}ing so wide and generic it's impossible to define and thus has become an umbrella term.

• Members

because hipster/indie music is {censored}ing so wide and generic it's impossible to define and thus has become an umbrella term.

But it certainly doesn't even approach encompassing all of rock music. It's not like all music out today is some form of hipster/indie...I don't care if it's an umbrella term, you can't even debate that metal, hard rock, and dozens of other genres are not hipster/indie.

• Members

But it certainly doesn't even approach encompassing all of rock music. It's not like all music out today is some form of hipster/indie...I don't care if it's an umbrella term, you can't even debate that metal, hard rock, and dozens of other genres are not hipster/indie.

Unless you go by the indie DIY term, which does include a lot of metal.

• Members

The whole indie/hipster debate comes down to this to me:

It doesn't matter. You like what kind of music you like, you support the kind of ethics you like. That's it. If you like Simple Plan, great. If you like Panda Bear, great. If you like Jay-Z, great.

Hmmm. So would you support a band with good ethics even if their music was rather lame?

Archived