OT: for those opposed to "hipster" music

• Members

Since there was a thread a while ago in which lots of folks here derided "hipster" music, here's a wonderful article about "hipster" music in New York. To anyone who says it isn't art for art's sake, well, rethink your position.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/arts/music/09sisa.html?ex=1205812800&en=8ea9c470069a202a&ei=5070&emc=eta1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To anyone who says it isn't art for art's sake, well, rethink your position.

Some hipsters produce their art for one reason, some do it for art's sake. You can't go and say that every hipster band are doing it for artistic reason only because that's a generalisation. Can't speak for them all bro.

Yeasayer = damn fine album

Vampire Weekend = horrible. Is it not considered retro to basically knock off Paul Simon's African knock-offs?

As ever, my opinion will differ from most of you over Vampire Weekend.

The term 'hipster' is the US equivalent of 'Britpop'. It's a useless {censored}e term that a certain branch of the media can use to pigeonhole groups. I wish we could drop all the genre titles. Imagien going into HMV and there's no genres, only band names and performer names. No jazz, no folk, electronica, any {censored} like that. Just music.

There's a part from that interview that intrigues me:

"But lower sales can also be a boon for the art. Without the pressure to make hits and repay large advances to record labels, groups have been liberated to experiment: an art-for-art

• Members

why would anyone be opposed to art for arts sake? if you can't relate to it then it probably is not being made for you.

there is a lot of the ultra trendy underground that i don't like also but there are things that get thier start there that eventually make it to the mainstream and are incredibly relevant.

people have hated sonic youth for almost 30 years for being too "arty"

• Members

a lot of music labeled as "trendy" or "hip" by pitchfork and others is usually labeled as so for a reason. a lot of kids think it's damn good music. I don't think i've ever been at a party playing a band like crystal castles or simian mobile disco and thought to myself "damn this is just art for art's sake"

correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't the ultimate "hipster" miles davis? Who complains about him now?

• Members

correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't the ultimate "hipster" miles davis? Who complains about him now?

He didn't just invent cool, he birthed it. It was thrust forth from his fertile womb in one glorious, shining moment when everything stood still and was at peace in the earth in a haze of hipness.

We've been eating his placenta ever since.

• Members

haha so right you are veil.

I think that in 20 years, people might be drooling over dan deacon, girl talk, crystal castles, and atlas sound much in the way we currently drool over velvet underground and miles davis. Back then, noone in popular culture gave a toss about them, and now they influence everyone.

• Members

Since there was a thread a while ago in which lots of folks here derided "hipster" music, here's a wonderful article about "hipster" music in New York. To anyone who says it isn't art for art's sake, well, rethink your position.

As someone who can't read the NY Times every day from cover to cover for obvious reasons, can I ask if it's a newspaper standard to refer to people being interview as 'Mr', as as 'Mr. Longstreth' in the interview linked above?

• Members

I think that in 20 years, people might be drooling over dan deacon, girl talk, crystal castles, and atlas sound much in the way we currently drool over velvet underground and miles davis. Back then, noone in popular culture gave a toss about them, and now they influence everyone.

Everyone? As in 'everyone'? But.. that would make them more important than God!

• Members

As someone who can't read the NY Times every day from cover to cover for obvious reasons, can I ask if it's a newspaper standard to refer to people being interview as 'Mr', as as 'Mr. Longstreth' in the interview linked above?

Yes, i think it is fairly normal here in the states to refer to someone as Mr. or Ms.

I wasn't trying to say with this post that all hipster music is great. I was just trying to say that a lot of it is art, not just party music. I hadn't heard Vampire Weekend before i saw them on SNL this weekend. I wasn't very impressed personally, but i didn't hear much of the African influence. It seems to me though that with their vocal style and such, they would be evoking very different emotions from what Paul Simon did and still does.

So, i'm not calling for an unmitigated love for "hipster" music (and what is "hipster" and what isn't is clearly open to debate, which is probably why some folks are opposed to genre labeling), I'm just kind of offering up a rebuttal to a previous thread, just to point out that, as with any genre, it's not all the same. There's some great "hipster"/"indy" stuff out there!

Funny that you say it's equal to "Brit Pop" because when i think of "brit pop," i usually think of Oasis, but maybe i just don't know what "brit pop" means.

• Members

I was the one who started that thread(if you're referring to the Robert Christgau thread which eventually turned into an indie hate fest) and I say, {censored} all that {censored}. If you get hung up on who's a hipster and who's not to a point that clouds judgement on the quality of the music in the first place, you may as well be watching Avenged Sevenfold on MTV.

• Members

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Members

haha so right you are veil.

I really don't think so. "Hipster music" is a stupid genre. I like some of that music, but don't accept that there is an actual genre of music behind it. I also don't think it's the music we're going to be remembering 20 years from now. I'm not opposed to the music you're defining as hipster music, just to the notion that it's an extant genre, except as a derogatory term towards people trying to fit their perceived notions of some kind of Pitchfork aesthetic.

• Members

I really don't think so. "Hipster music" is a stupid genre. I like some of that music, but don't accept that there is an actual genre of music behind it. I also don't think it's the music we're going to be remembering 20 years from now. I'm not opposed to the music you're defining as hipster music, just to the notion that it's an extant genre, except as a derogatory term towards people trying to fit their perceived notions of some kind of Pitchfork aesthetic.

I'd rather be remembering "hipster music" than rap or Simple Plan thankyouverymuch

• Members

I was the one who started that thread(if you're referring to the Robert Christgau thread which eventually turned into an indie hate fest) and I say, {censored} all that {censored}. If you get hung up on who's a hipster and who's not to a point that clouds judgement on the quality of the music in the first place, you may as well be watching Avenged Sevenfold on MTV.

You should start a thread about hating indie and see if it gravitates toward being a Christgau hatefest...

how strange though reading an NY Times interview with Radiohead where it keeps mentioning 'Mr Yorke'. That's old-skool English colonial days politeness at work!

I hadn't heard Vampire Weekend before i saw them on SNL this weekend. I wasn't very impressed, but i didn't hear much of the African influence. It seems to me though that with their vocal style and such, they would be evoking very different emotions from what Paul Simon did and still does.

That's the problem with them. You read Pitchfork and countless other forms of media and you're expecting something that totally blows you away. Reading the NY Times link you put up, the article makes it clear that they view the Strokes as one-dimensional and that Vampire Weekend were some glorious technicolour adventure into African music. Instead they're a cute nicely educated band with some slightly nifty rhythms. There is an African influence but it's incredibly diluted. Compare that to something like Papa Wemba, something I heard courtesy of John Peel, and you can hear the influence.

[YOUTUBE]C37zXrRFC-4[/YOUTUBE]

The abnds that shine through for me are the ones who go a little more out there. Yeasayer do it for me. Panda Bear beats Animal Collective all over the place. Listening to the Dirty Projectors annoys me. The media will make much of the orchestral/classical element yet it's a fairly small part of their sound. With a lot of these bands, I feel the praise snares them too early. A lot of them will be making far better music in the future and the press won't be there then. Someone like the Dirty Projectors will release a {censored}ing amazing album one day.

So, i'm not calling for an unmitigated love for "hipster" music (and what is "hipster" and what isn't is clearly open to debate), I'm just kind of offering up a rebuttal to a previous thread, just to point out that, as with any genre, it's not all the same. There's some great "hipster"/"indy" stuff out there!

Funny that you say it's equal to "Brit Pop" because when i think of "brit pop" i usually think of Oasis, but maybe i just don't know what "brit pop" means.

• Members

I like Crystal Castles too. In the past, technology was pushed to its limit to create music. The rise of techno really pushed 303s and suchlike to their limit. In the last 15 years though, the technology hasn't been pushed to the limit. It's evolved too fast to be pushed. Software revisions and technological revisions keep the technology moving faster than the music. Someone like Crystal Castles strike me as people who are really trying to push the older technology and use it to the max. In the future, someone's going to take older DAW software and kick the crap out of it.

Archived