Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

how different generally are those of you who've owned both finding the analogue end of the PEK and the PO8 ?

The filters on the P'08 are better IMHO and the overal sound is beefier and more tame.

The PEK is more harsh and cutting like an electric guitar.

• Members

can you Poly-chain the '08 with a PEK or PER? I'm interested in hearing that if possible.

It probably is as I guess the poly chain is a simple midi note filter that assigns a note/key to an internal voice if there is one idle, and if there isnt, forwards it to the next synth in the chain as well as acting as a soft through for all panel knobs and received control data etc.

Of course it would only work for notes at best, as I assume the CC assignments would be different so just result in a mess.

Ill leave you to figure out if the end result is likely to be worth while - guess someone will probably find a use for polychaining different synths...

• Members

polychain-out on the back..

Kinda begs the question as to when the P '08 rack version is coming out.

In the meantime, I am wondering if I can run a P '08 thru the mix input on a PolyEvolver rack so that both instruments can share one set of inputs in my DAW?

• Members

The PER would only notice if some kind of virtual analog device is connected to its mix ins and do some unexpected weird things in this case.

But it doesn't care at all if a PEK, P8 or even a Moog is connected ;)

• Members

The PER would only notice if some kind of virtual analog device is connected to its mix ins and do some unexpected weird things in this case.

But it doesn't care at all if a PEK, P8 or even a Moog is connected
;)

That's kind of what I thought. I currently have a PEK/PER, and I am thinking of selling the PEK and getting the P'08. I don't have a mixer, but use a MOTU 828 MK 2, and right now I am using all inputs. It would be nice to plug the P '08 into the PER and have its sound pass thru to the outputs.

• Members

That's kind of what I thought. I currently have a PEK/PER, and I am thinking of selling the PEK and getting the P'08. I don't have a mixer, but use a MOTU 828 MK 2, and right now I am using all inputs. It would be nice to plug the P '08 into the PER and have its sound pass thru to the outputs.

Sounds fun - and would be a great way of adding FX to the P8. My only concern would be losing the "analog" character of the P8 as it's quite different than the PEK. If you're careful with the gain stages on the PEK it should be cool though.

• Members

Sounds fun - and would be a great way of adding FX to the P8. My only concern would be losing the "analog" character of the P8 as it's quite different than the PEK. If you're careful with the gain stages on the PEK it should be cool though.

Marzz isn't talking about the PER's audio inputs, though this would without doubt offer a lot of fun too.

The Evolver has additional Mix-Inputs, that originally were implemented to chain several Evolvers. In the end all that happens in these inputs is that they mix incoming audio and PER audio in 1:1 relation and route the mix to the PER's audio outputs.

• Members

This is what makes the PEK a great synth. The electric guitar analogy is apt because that's how I tend to approach using it in piece.

Having played one on a few occasions I can testify to that. There's a cutting 'twang' moving between sustained notes , coming from the effect of a dual sound combining with distortion, that I've only ever had the same sense of elsewhere on a real electric guitar...:rawk:

• Members

Thanks for the wishes, guys. It's not that bad. Usually one day of crawling on all four limbs (that was the day before yesterday), then 2 or 3 more with pain and weird contorted walking. Most times after a week it's so good again that I forget about all the good intentions and means to prevent the next prolaps ;)

• Members

Thanks for the wishes, guys. It's not that bad. Usually one day of crawling on all four limbs (that was the day before yesterday), then 2 or 3 more with pain and weird contorted walking. Most times after a week it's so good again that I forget about all the good intentions and means to prevent the next prolaps
;)

ouch - sounds bad and hope you're feeling better! makes producing a quality demo in that level of pain all the more impressive ; .:thu:

Archived