Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Members
I want to see a video like this:

"This knob here is what we here in the synthamasizer community call the modulator - it modularizes the oscillations of the cutoff filter."

Aaaah-hilp!hilp! :idea:

Wuuuuuun thupe-errr, uhh..... uhh...... DUPE - errrrrrrrrr
Ehhhh-djuh-djuh-djuh 'djuh - - - KAY shunnelllll vID-eeeee-ooooooohh

c' c' c' cummmmin' UP :wave:

please do try not to hold me to it, James.
I aim high....

Or is it, i AM high - i forget those sorts of things sometimes, being out here in AZ and all.

- btw nice mini/p8 combo there!

-------------

i'm still leaning to the PEK although the arp would be nice to have. The straight analog character of the p8 has its charms, though.
Jeeesus, does this mean i have to get 'em both now? :love:

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yeah, pretty awful.

If he took the rubberband off his wrist, he'd get some blood back in that hand.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :thu:

I hope that's not the best he could do or I'd say, go get your money back and get an MEK.

Not a great example there.

• Members
:(

For the most part, a useless bunch of clicks and blips.

I'd use a few of those sounds for sure. depends on your objectives of course. at least he wasn't wanking off like the performances on the DSI website. guitar center guitar guy has got nothing on those clips:rawk:

• Members
I'd use a few of those sounds for sure. depends on your objectives of course. at least he wasn't wanking off like the performances on the DSI website. guitar center guitar guy has got nothing on those clips:rawk:

Come on man. Besides the piano and one arpeggio, what there was a keeper? There might have been one or two more but I'll have to watch it again.

Your right that it depends on tastes, but you don't buy a polysynth for most of those sounds. That's why your Mono Boy. ;)

• Members

I still think a video is important.
For me, the user interface is a very important part of a synth: is it easy to tweak it live? Are all the knobs at the right place, etc...
For example, when I first saw the adds of the Little Phatty I was totally skeptical...and then the first videos I saw kind of changed my perspective..And then I tried one and I was totally convinced ;-)

I don't really care about the sounds the guys are producing: if I a buy a synth, I'll build my own sounds eventually.
Of course, some machines are more oriented towards sound design and some are more straightforward "out of the box" performance machines with classic standard sounds...
What I want to feel is the overall impression and the sound potential of the thing.
I couldn't care less what the guys play: usually not my kind of music anyway:)

In any case, how the synth looks and its playability is fundamental for me. And on top of this there is the "inspiration" factor that you get from a nice beautiful design/layout..:)

One great example: just try out the George Duke and David Benoit videos on the new Rhodes website: perfect video demo IMHO:cool:
http://www.rhodespiano.com/
Seeing them play is totally part of the show for me, that's why I love to be in live jazz sessions much more than I listen to jazz CD's :)

V

• Members

I agree if the visuals contain additional information that emphasize the audio data. I miss that on most youtube videos. You usually see a hand straying over a UI without plan, turning knobs without knowing what will happen, eventually see a puzzled face wondering what to do next ;)

Goerge Duke and David Benoit (and forum meber keybwizard) have rehearsed a few years before they switched the camera on ;)

btw, I either have to get a turntable or some Gong CDs again...

But of course you are right, live music is always a great experience. I enjoy nearly every kind of live music, even music that I won't ever listen to at home.

• Members
you don't buy a polysynth for most of those sounds. That's why your Mono Boy.
;)

:D
true enough. I guess I just hate most of the noodly playing on many synth sound demos. Simple/usable phrases coupled with a sound that demonstates the synth's capabilities are what I'm after. This is why you are the KANG, Doc T(!).

btw- despite it's 'confounding' many voices (:))I actually do want a P8---badly---it would replace the church organ and the optigan in my basement.....or that's what I'm telling my sweetheart:p

• Members

Sorry MusikB, I didn't want to say that you won't make a video.

It was meant as a general statement that imho videos aren't suited to demonstrate sounds. Is : "One won't make a video to demonstrate sounds anyway" correct ? I fear I'll never learn that strange language ;)

Archived