Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Members

.. the CEM sound elsewhere for a lot less.

don't know that I'd agree here at all though, SizzleM. I've heard a really impressive range of sound across the P8 demos that beats a large number of the 80s CEM-based units I've owned for versatility, and also on another level surpasses a lot of the dc0 machines I've had down the years in terms of that spark people call liveliness and 'three-dimensionality' . That's really what strikes people most I think , but equally I can see that the PEK is a whole ( great) separate kettle of fish, and they just can't be compared one with the other.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

don't know that I'd agree here at all , though, SizzleM. I've heard a really impressive range of sound across the P8 demos that beats a large number of the 80s CEM-based units I've owned for versatility, and also on another level surpasses a lot of the dc0 machines I've had down the years in terms of that spark people call liveliness and 'three-dimensionality' . That's really what strikes most I think , but equally I can see that the PEK is a whole ( great) separate kettle of fish, and they just can't be compared one with the other.

Right, I could buy into that easily. Being able to demo one in person could very well make me agree with you 100%. Although part of the old-school CEM charm is the dirty signal paths - that's what I'm most curious about on the P'08 and I haven't heard a demo that addresses that curiousity well enough. I'm not trying to downplay the P'08, BTW, I'm just saying that I think the people who are dumping their Evolvers for a P'08 are making a mistake. Sort of like a personal, yet public, demon purge on my part.

• Members

I have both and like both but if I had to choose one I'd most likely prefer the PEK too.

The PEK is the new synth, a unique combination of digital and analogue components that allows some unique sounds. And, most important, incredible noises.

The P'08 is the instant gratification synth because of its limitations compared to the PEK. I'd say that the PEK is more of a studio synth, the P'08 more a life synth.

Though I've programmed tons of sounds and combos on PEK and PER I've never come to a point where I can easily reprogram a PEK sound after hearing it, let alone edit a sound in life situations. It's a rather complex synthesizer. That's different with the P'08. If I hear a sound I can usually tell the approximate knob positions.

But for I am spending more time in the bedroom studio than on stage, I guess I am the PEK-type of musician ;)

• Members

if you don't mind my asking, what's the thing with the vintage looking knobbage that the right hand monitor is sitting on?

A Universal Audio La-610 - tube preamp/EQ/compressor:

http://www.uaudio.com/products/analog/LA-610/index.html

oh, and how solid are those accoustic pads on the wall? i keep debating stuff like that, but i suspect if it's very foamy the cats will rip it to pieces rather quickly?

Its pretty dense but a kitty will scratch it! Tali has to be supervised when she's in the studio - I already had to replace some panels because of her enthusiasm:

comfy.jpg

• Members

yes, sir.

* slinks out of KSS for a while, shamefaced, and hands in pass *
:(

RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!! :cop:

On Topic (OMG!): I actually did consider selling the PEK for the P'08, but figured that's what every other PEK owner was doing and driving the price down. In the meantime, I've come to terms with the PEK and I think it's a keeper.

So, no. I'm not planning on buying the P'08.

• Members

I was hoping for something more performance oriented, with a really direct polymod-like mod section. With this design it's going to take a bunch of digging around to figure out what's going on in a patch. I think I'd rather have a Nord.

I own a nord lead 2x and what is interesting about nord is that is very friendly for performance because you don

• Members

Overkill for controlling a few softsynths
;)

Besides, there's no room on the DAW desk front-to-back or width-wise for the "O-beast"...I run three computers, including a
huge
server, from that desk off a KVM and need to keep the view of the monitor relatively uncluttered. The station doubles as my regular "office". Overall, the P'08 was a better choice than the LP - I was beginning to get "aftertouch withdrawl".
:freak:

...now I need to start mapping softsynth controlls to the P'08 knobbage.

I own a Kawai mp8, nord:electro 2, lead 2x and i want a prophet 08 but my question is if you think that the little phatty complements the p08 very well for performance and recording?

• Members

I own a Kawai mp8, nord:electro 2, lead 2x and i want a prophet 08 but my question is if you think that the little phatty complements the p08 very well for performance and recording?

Sure. They're very different-sounding from each other.

The LP is a lot of fun and tweaking in a lead or bass sound is fast and intuitive. Plus, because of RAC, the controls aren't quantized or buffered (like other analog synths with patch memory) so there's no stepping whatsoever when using the knobs realtime...love it!

• Members

Sure. They're
very
different-sounding from each other.

The LP is a lot of fun and tweaking in a lead or bass sound is fast and intuitive. Plus, because of RAC, the controls aren't quantized or buffered (like other analog synths with patch memory) so there's
no stepping whatsoever
when using the knobs realtime...love it!

Thank you Carbon.

Another question

When you want to record or play bass and leads between the p08 and little phatty what do you prefer? or it depends on what?

I live in Bogota, Colombia (South America) If you want to listen a little bit of my music Myspace.com PLasti-k (distrito capital)

Archived