Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously, isn't your s/n 00002 one of the later protos with the production-like spread out layout and larger knobs, as opposed to the older protos Stefan and I had (which are s/n 0005 and 0003, respectively)? Or did you get an actual production machine?

Dave and I have the only two handmade units with the correct layout. Those became s/n 00001 and s/n 00002 respectively (Dave sent me down a production overlay and the production serial number tag).

My unit also had all silver knob caps originally - Dave tried several different ones, as you know. He sent me the correct knobs...but I left the silver capped knobs on Master Volume and Parameters 1 and 2. :cool:

The actual production run started with s/n 00003.

dB

• Members

I wouldn't need an MEK, but as it has S/N 002 and some very individual solderings inside, it can never be sold.

What are these individual solderings? Magic mushroom pictures on the circuit board or actual adjustments to the circuit design?

• Members
You should have pointed the poor chap to an OASYS... it's got $5000 of extortion built right in!
:lol:

Har.

Cheap shot. The big "O" handily replaced over ten grand worth of equipment in my studio and transformed my ergonomics from a nightmare to a pleasure in one fell swoop. Maybe not good value to you, but for others...

http://www.carbon111.com/oasys.html

...and now I actually have room for a P'08 ;)

• Members
Har.

Cheap shot. The big "O" handily replaced over ten grand worth of equipment in my studio and transformed my ergonomics from a nightmare to a pleasure in
one fell swoop
. Maybe not good value to
you
, but for others...

http://www.carbon111.com/oasys.html

...and now I actually have
room
for a P'08
;)

Isnt that overly korgy?

I dont think I could stand korg sound in more than one synth....

Maybe if it was roland I might think about it as generally I like their sound.

• Members

Quote by Khazul:

"Isnt that overly korgy?

Maybe if it was roland I might think about it as generally I like their sound."

I don't know, today's synths can sound like a lot of things. My Motif ES8 does some pretty fair emulations of a number of MFG's synths. My Alesis ION does a good job sounding like other things too. If James was able to eliminate a lot of gear with the Oasys, and he was able to afford it, so what? I for one, would buy a Moog Voyager if I could afford it, but I can't. I was one of the first to say that it was "overpriced" for what it does, and it is. But if I hit the lottery, even a small one, there would be a number of top of the line synths I would buy to play around with. Then I could be like a lot of people that sit in the basement, turn lots of knobs, and make weird noises with all their toys. :D

Mike T.

• Members
Isnt that overly korgy?

LOL! The multiple engines withinin the Oasys all sound very different from each other. Even the rompler part dosen't sound too "Korgy", probably because it uses uncompressed source material. The main piano is a bit "korgy" out of the box, but I fixed that with some tweaks :D

But, hey, this thread is about the Prophet'08 - If you want we can take further "O" discussion off the form or, god forbid, another thread ;)

Archived