Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

for some reason I'm still curious as to how these two beauties merge together in the mix..;,)

So am I, but as luck would have it my MOTU 828 MK2 went down and I am waiting for it to come back from MOTU for repair (to their credit: It is several years out of warranty, yet they still repaired it for free! Thanks MOTU!!).

I was one of those people who was thinking "get P'08, sell PEK," but now that the P'08 is here and sounds more "analog" then the PEK, I am suddenly looking at the PEK in new light and considering the "digital" aspects of it more- I really can't get those sounds with any other hardware gear I own. But then again, that is a problem I seem to have, if I get a new piece of gear thinking it would replace something I already have, I find myself re-evaluating the "old" gear and discovering more reasons to keep it. Earlier this year I got a great deal on an Omega 8, and thought it would easily replace the Andromeda and/or Voyager, but nooooooo...............!

• Members

Some piano lessons as a teen. From 1968-72 IIRC
;)

well in that case you have a really innate sense of musical structure there , DT...;)

marzz - let me know of the approximate results when the mixer does work !

I also think it would be great if there was a link to that excellent page , http://www.trippler.net/music/DSI-Evolver/Prophet08/prophet08.html

, on the dsi page for the p08 - saying "performance demos with effects " or something similar, just so as everyone could get a wider feel of how this synth sounds in a performance situation.

• Members

How so? I'm sure it's great otherwise but I'm not sure how you fake out an HP filter.

Really narrow pulse widths, maybe?

Besides, for those sounds that absolutely HAVE to have BP or HP, then just use a different axe, Eugene. That's why we surround ourselves with a cornucopia of gear in the first place, right? ;)

• Members

The only time I've used the HP filter on my JP-6 is to boost the lows (tuning cutoff to VCO fundamental with 100% keytrack), and I don't think I would need to on the P'08. It's a much bigger sounding axe. I wouldn't miss it on this synth.

If you use HP a lot, and it absolutely need it to be analog, I guess this isn't your synth. All I know is I'm excited about it. None at the GC yet to try out.

• Members

The only time I've used the HP filter on my JP-6 is to boost the lows (tuning cutoff to VCO fundamental with 100% keytrack), and I don't think I would need to on the P'08. It's a much bigger sounding axe. I wouldn't miss it on this synth.

If you use HP a lot, and it absolutely need it to be analog, I guess this isn't your synth. All I know is I'm excited about it. None at the GC yet to try out.

If you listen to The Human League: Octopus, you will hear plenty of high pass JP-6 sounds. I use the high pass for snare like sounds and pads. It is just nice to have it, also you won't use it every day.

• Members

If you listen to The Human League: Octopus, you will hear plenty of high pass JP-6 sounds. I use the high pass for snare like sounds and pads. It is just nice to have it, also you won't use it every day.

I use HP for strings and pads all the time. A good resonant HP filter is almost as valuable to me as LP.

Sure, I could use another synth for this kind of thing alongside the P08 but it would be a lot more enticing to me with HP and BP.

• Members

So pop quiz, hotshot: what poly analogs have BP and HP filters?

(No, really, I don't know. VA's and modulars don't count.)

Andromeda

J6

SE Omega 8 & I think Code

Probably others. I'm not really that much of an analog guy. If I had to choose one I'd take a VA with a multimode filter over an analog with only lowpass.

• Members

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against HP filters. I use them all the time in romplers. But there I can use them in combination.... and probably a lot like you guys do. I'll have to check out Human League to see how they used HP on it's own.

• Members

I use HP for strings and pads all the time. A good resonant HP filter is almost as valuable to me as LP.

Sure, I could use another synth for this kind of thing alongside the P08 but it would be a lot more enticing to me with HP and BP.

:thu:

and for blip-hoppy percussion tones with a lot of high-frequency information hp and bp filtering is great for individual sound design (obviously), but also for mixing multiple electronic sounds together that would compete in the low and low-midrange of the frequency spectrum.........

Archived