Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sounds as though people happy with their instruments should add their reviews to the list too...

i stuck one in for the memotron mid last week, and it still hasn't showed up there... dunno if they thought it was an 'inside' job, or if they're just crap at getting round to approving new manufacturers/models...

• Members

sounds as though people happy with their instruments should add their reviews to the list too...:poke:

Oh I will but I want to have at least a month with it and make a few songs with it before I write a full review. - Again I'm still very much in a honeymoon phase - however I've spent enough time on it to know that any musician could find the P8 to be an expressive instrument that offers the player a focused feature set.

• Members

I just read that review on this site. What a bunch of garbage. I wonder who he works for, really? He mentioned the Moog Voyager, but I seriously doubt that anyone at MOOG would stoop so low as to post something like that.

I've listened to a number of the P'08 demos, that instrument is most certainly worthy of the Prophet name. Sure, it sounds somewhat different, but still similar enough that I could recognize some sounds that remind me of my Prophet 5. The P'08 has a lot of nice, new features that my P5 doesn't have. Hell, some of them weren't even thought of back then.

It wasn't too many years back that there were NO ANALOG synthesizers being made, what the hell was this guy expecting? At a MAP price of $2000, its a bargain.

There's an asshole born every minute. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

• Members

NOT ONE POLYSYNTH WITH PATCH MEMORY LETS YOU SEE ALL OF THE VALUES OF A PATCH WHEN YOU SELECT A PATCH FROM MEMORY.

The right way to do this is with motorized pots or the way the Lead 3 does it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the ring around the knob is carried over to the Wave.

I dunno, I read the review. Other than the sound, which is very subjective I don't think it was that harsh. A lot of the complaints, other than the chaining one, seem like legit issues. I'm curious if he tried the P08 in a different outlet or with a different power supply to see if that solved his crosstalk/filter issues.

Do all those encoders transmit CC's or are they just sysex?

• Members

Is that the new Saffire you showed-off earlier, Doc? How do you like it? (I'm in the market for a new interface)

Got to get used to it. Sound is good as far as I can judge. The software could imho be a little better. Some kind of metering or at least some clipping indicator to help adjust the input gain would be good.

It's very nice that it can be used for monitoring without PC.

Unfortunately I didn't find one that has line inputs on the backside and monitor and headphone volume knobs on the front side, so my former clean rack is a little messy now:

saf02.jpg

• Members

this was definitely the most soothing and relaxing of your P8 demos I've heard so far, docT, and in some strange way one of the most '70s' sounding too....;.)

Your talking about 1870ies ? Johann Strauss and that, the heydays of three quarter timing ;)

• Members

Just had an SE dropped off a few hours ago and have to say it sounds great and looks stunning. While I haven't really had time to go over each and every detail, it does seem rather intuitive to get around on. My biggest complaint thus far would be that the knobs wobble and the top flexes down a good bit :freak: It just has that certain "wonkyness" that you just can't get from virtual analog or software... if that makes any sense... Off to play with it a bit more. :p

• Members

Like with the PEK, I'm finding that I have to do a bit of tweaking about with the Filter freq, resonance, Env Amount, and key amout until I can get the tonality right on the P'08.

Currently attempting the Colt Seavers stunt of the "Foreigner" Pad. :D

• Members

Like with the PEK, I'm finding that I have to do a bit of tweaking about with the Filter freq, resonance, Env Amount, and key amout until I can get the tonality right.

Currently attempting the Colt Seavers stunt of the "Foreigner" Pad.
:D

one thing with the PEK: when programming it, its very important to think about gain structure between the various parts. Its really easy to over/under drive things and get a weak tweazy sound out of it.

one trick I learned this week though, is you can open up the VCA and then use ENV3 to modulate the oscillator levels. this lets run the delay feedback through the filter section, but still be able to gate the oscillators...

Tony

• Members

one thing with the PEK: when programming it, its very important to think about gain structure between the various parts. Its really easy to over/under drive things and get a weak tweazy sound out of it.

one trick I learned this week though, is you can open up the VCA and then use ENV3 to modulate the oscillator levels. this lets run the delay feedback through the filter section, but still be able to gate the oscillators...

Tony

I was referring to the P'08 in the above post. :idk: Thanks for the tip though, I'll try that out on the Prophet.

Archived