Guitar players you never "got"

chisa

• Members

After watching some of the El Mocambo footage on Youtube, I came away feeling like I'd seen a technical demonstration of his ability rather than a musical event.

Yeah well did you notice that he was tweaked out of his gourd? I think you can actually see coke on his nose. {censored}, he slips out of key a few times! Anyway, I'm in no way a SRV apologist ... haven't listened to him in years ... but to be fair that isn't his best moment.

... And nothing I MEAN NOTHING excuses the wardrobe.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
^^^

I shoulda mentioned that I got hendrix too, what you are saying there is spot on.....my favortie hendix moment, is (I think at montery festival) he just about to play 'wild thing' (I think) he strums he guitar and it's {censored}ing way out of tune, does he stop and tune up using a strobostomp? does he {censored}! he just unleashes the most mindblowing all hell breaking lose version I've ever heard him play....and leaves everyone stunned!
:)

...genuis.

yeah, that version of wild thing is beyond kick ass. :thu:

• Members
SRV - the guy can play but there is something abotu it that feels cold to me. Plus I can never bring myself to like a man who had such little taste. The musical note guitar strap! The {censored}ing hats! The pleated trousers! Jesus!

I really don't even know what to say to this...

maybe just a... :facepalm:

• Members
^^^

I shoulda mentioned that I got hendrix too, what you are saying there is spot on.....my favortie hendix moment, is (I think at montery festival) he just about to play 'wild thing' (I think) he strums he guitar and it's {censored}ing way out of tune, does he stop and tune up using a strobostomp? does he {censored}! he just unleashes the most mindblowing all hell breaking lose version I've ever heard him play....and leaves everyone stunned!
:)

...genuis.

a great moment in music. isn't he wearing plaid trousers too?

• Members

Guthrie Govan - sure he can play anything by anyone else perfectly, but his own music is boring as {censored} and his phrasing is absolutely horrible. He doesn't leave enough room when he's playing IMO. He'll just start playing and won't stop. Same with Greg Howe - good tone but awful phrasing.

• Members

Players I don't get:

Shred guitarists: Sorry, but all the technical proficiency in the world doesn't change the fact that I hate the sound I'm hearing. I respect that you can play, I still can't stand your music.
Herman Li deserves his own space because I think the guy is a complete {censored}ing hack.

Players I do get:
Adam Jones
Antoine DuFour, Andy McKee, Don Ross (alternate tuning fingerstyle type stuff, following guys like Leo Kottke)
John Frusciante
Pete Townshend
Brian May

• Members

Hendrix - Never understood why all the noise he made was considered incredible guitar playing.

Van Halen - Never got into tapping or his song writting

Eric Clapton - Cant hear what the big deal is

Pete Townsend - Boring

Randy Rhoads - He was alright, but not that great

• Members

Well music is about expressig yourself, when i listen to fast shredding solo's which is complete wank. I just don't see what their point is. David Gilmour solo's are so emotional, and epic you just want to air guitar along to it. Shredding solo's can {censored} off

I just wanted you to look at my penis, dummy. Shredding sucks.

• Members
guy who said peter green
:cry:

i don't get

Ace Frehley

Allan Holdsworth

Most Shredders

i put peter green down in my players i do "get".:cop::thu: green manalishi is {censored}ing amazing. and he is the only guy bb king said "made him sweat"

• Members

To the OP (plus others who dissed on EVH and Clapton)

Are you bi or full queer?

Firstly EVH revolutionized they way people thought about the electric guitar!

and

Clapton is a legend! He can play the guitar and right a great song to boot!

I'm not even going to start on that guy who trashed Hendrix...

Do you people have no appreciation of where different sounds and techniques have come from?

Anyway I guess I'll just have to keep enjoying excellent guitar music content in the knowledge that none of you will ever be able to hold a candle to any of these guys you're hating on.

Archived