Guitar players you never "got"

chisa

• Members

cause no one else had ever considered doing it, let alone be able to ?

look up "originality" in dictionary...

yeah, hendrix was brilliant. technically terrible which makes him more interesting. look at the improvisation from woodstock. it is like his soul is coming out of the amp:thu:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hendrix - Never understood why all the noise he made was considered incredible guitar playing.

:facepalm: Why would you say that? Dont just listen to his lead work (Which was really cool) listen to his rhythm work and his complex melodies that he plays while singing and the textures that he can coax from his instrument. That's why he was a great player, he pumped out so much mojo all the time

• Members
To the OP (plus others who dissed on EVH and Clapton)

Are you bi or full queer?

Firstly EVH revolutionized they way people thought about the electric guitar!

and

Clapton is a legend! He can play the guitar and right a great song to boot!

I'm not even going to start on that guy who trashed Hendrix...

Do you people have no appreciation of where different sounds and techniques have come from?

Anyway I guess I'll just have to keep enjoying excellent guitar music content in the knowledge that none of you will ever be able to hold a candle to any of these guys you're hating on.

:facepalm:

for the record, i too, think hendrix is a bit overrated.

• Members

compare and contrast:

[YOUTUBE]Ck05ixICiak[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2ErrWacVEks[/YOUTUBE]

difference to me is you can't teach how to play like sir jimi. every note means something. that govan stuff is not music, it is like an exercise "so if i play the mixolydian b2 over that dimished seventh it will fit" for {censored}s sake!!!!!!111!!!! if you want to do calculations do them in the classroom and leave the stage for the artists.

• Members
These guys who can sit behind their keyboard talking trash about some of the best guitar players in the world will never be able to play as well as the guys they are trashing.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Captain Obvious. :thu:

Anyway, tastes differ and it makes the world a lovely place.

• Members

These guys who can sit behind their keyboard talking trash about some of the best guitar players in the world will never be able to play as well as the guys they are trashing.

explain the word "best"

• Members

:facepalm:
I give up on this thread

you described them as the "best guitar players on the planet" but what do you mean by best?

if you can't explain that then you are merely reiterating the general consensus without thought.

• Members

for me:

van halen - might be as i am british as VH were never big here,.

clapton - don't seen the attraction.

michael angelo tufnel - ditto

satrani - people say he's soulful because he plays the odd blues scale - sounds terrible to me.

paul gilbert - ditto

john petrucci - dream theatre write very silly songs overshadowing anything he could play to redeem it.

shawn lane - fat delay drenched noise.

michael schenker - german pisshead.

zakk wylde - borrrring.

prince - trying to be niles rogers.

ronnie montrose - who?

what you said.

and johnny greenwood, the guys from lynyrd skynyrd, slash, guy from alice in chains and a couple more

• Members

for me:

van halen - might be as i am british as VH were never big here,.

clapton - don't seen the attraction.

michael angelo tufnel - ditto

satrani - people say he's soulful because he plays the odd blues scale - sounds terrible to me.

paul gilbert - ditto

john petrucci - dream theatre write very silly songs overshadowing anything he could play to redeem it.

shawn lane - fat delay drenched noise.

michael schenker - german pisshead.

zakk wylde - borrrring.

prince - trying to be niles rogers.

ronnie montrose - who?

who don't you "get"?

Dude, who DO you get? No actually, I agree with a lot of your assessment.

Post-Cream Eric Clapton

• Members

Among others:

Stevie Ray Vaughan - his music just doesn't do anything for me :idk: I don't really like his epic toanz either

The Edge - meh

Jimmy Page - Guess I'll get flamed for this. I like some of his playing, but a lot of it sounds like pentatonic wank to me. He's a good guitar player, but he doesn't deserve the godlike status, imho

Alan Holdsworth - He does some amazing things, but the overall sound of his music makes me nauseous for some reason.

Zack Wylde - :barf:

Dimebag Darrell - the fact that he died a tragic death doesn't make his playing or tone any better.

• Members

For those who say Holdsworth, have you heard his early stuff? Velvet Darkness, his stuff with Bruford, etc? His later stuff turned me off-after he got that damn synthaxe, and some of the singing is horrible, but the early stuff is :eek:.

What do I know though, I LIKE Page, SRV, Ace Frehley, and a lot of others that people don't get. I pretty much don't get much of what they play on rock stations these days-newer stuff. Most of it, how can I say this, sucks. Still waiting for the next new thing after grunge and haven't heard it yet.

• Members
For those who say Holdsworth, have you heard his early stuff? Velvet Darkness, his stuff with Bruford, etc? His later stuff turned me off-after he got that damn synthaxe, and some of the singing is horrible, but the early stuff is
:eek:

What do I know though, I LIKE Page, SRV, Ace Frehley, and a lot of others that people don't get. I pretty much don't get much of what they play on rock stations these days-newer stuff. Most of it, how can I say this, sucks. Still waiting for the next new thing after grunge and haven't heard it yet.

I haven't heard a lot of his early stuff, guess I'll have to check it out.

• Members

difference to me is you can't teach how to play like sir jimi. every note means something. that govan stuff is not music, it is like an exercise "so if i play the mixolydian b2 over that dimished seventh it will fit" for {censored}s sake!!!!!!111!!!! if you want to do calculations do them in the classroom and leave the stage for the artists.

This I don't get at all. I would much rather listen to the Govan stuff than the hendrix, sure he was a ridiculous song writer, and his licks get copied daily, but that is not a very good example at all. At times it sounds just god-awful.

Archived