Guitar players you never "got"

chisa

• Members

for me:

van halen - might be as i am british as VH were never big here,.

clapton - don't seen the attraction.

michael angelo tufnel - ditto

satrani - people say he's soulful because he plays the odd blues scale - sounds terrible to me.

paul gilbert - ditto

john petrucci - dream theatre write very silly songs overshadowing anything he could play to redeem it.

shawn lane - fat delay drenched noise.

michael schenker - german pisshead.

zakk wylde - borrrring.

prince - trying to be niles rogers.

ronnie montrose - who?

who don't you "get"?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

for me:

satrani - people say he's soulful because he plays the odd blues scale - sounds terrible to me.

paul gilbert - ditto

john petrucci - dream theatre write very silly songs overshadowing anything he could play to redeem it.

zakk wylde - borrrring.

ronnie montrose - who?

who don't you "get"?

Who do you like?

• Members

for me:

paul gilbert - ditto

zakk wylde - borrrring.

ronnie montrose - who?

who don't you "get"?

who do you like?

• Members

but seriously -

andy summers,

SRV,

jeff beck,

peter green,

kevin shields,

rory gallacher,

yngwie, yeah, i know -:cop::),

gilmour,

wes montgomery,

joe pass,

joe walsh,

brian sezter,

jimmy page,

larry carlton,

and loads of others

• Members

Eric Johnson. One scale, too much delay, overly compressed sound, nutty claims about golden ears. Everything he does sounds the same to me. After 30 seconds or so, you've heard it all.

Keith Richards. Okay, he's written some catchy hooks and some good songs, but watch him live. On any given night in any given club you can see local guys that can play circles around him.

Jeff Beck. Put the whammy bar down Jeff. I've heard him do a few good things, but most of the time he just seems more interested in making goofy noises and doing silly tricks than music.

Ace Freehly. Play guitar hook 101 pentatonic lick. Repeat one octave higher. I don't get Kiss in general, at least not musically. Ace did his job in Kiss, but as a guitar player, he didn't bring enough to the table to get the kind of accolades some people bestow on him.

• Members

i should have read down a little b4 i posted, sorry...i LOVE radiohead, those guys are the {censored}...i love mayer too, although my fave is a bootleg from some house of blues with his trio. don't have any studio stuff...

• Members

Eric Johnson. One scale, too much delay, overly compressed sound, nutty claims about golden ears. Everything he does sounds the same to me. After 30 seconds or so, you've heard it all.

Keith Richards. Okay, he's written some catchy hooks and some good songs, but watch him live. On any given night in any given club you can see local guys that can play circles around him.

Jeff Beck. Put the whammy bar down Jeff. I've heard him do a few good things, but most of the time he just seems more interested in making goofy noises and doing silly tricks than music.

:thu: and :thu: It's a shame, really. Keef's performance at the Superbowl a few years back was so awful (the whole band sucked) that he undid almost half of all the cool things he's done for rock music.

• Members

Ace Freehly. Play guitar hook 101 pentatonic lick. Repeat one octave higher. I don't get Kiss in general, at least not musically. Ace did his job in Kiss, but as a guitar player, he didn't bring enough to the table to get the kind of accolades some people bestow on him.

i am with you on ace and kiss. again never really made it to teh UK.

• Members

I don't want to turn this into a Van Halen thread, but to appreciate him, I think you had to be there when their first album came out. He pretty much singlehandedly rescued rock from the clutches of glam, disco and punk.

Clapton was playing Lay Down Sally, the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith were wearing more makeup than most women, bands like the Ramones were dumbing down guitar playing, and John Travolta and his leisure suit and the Bee Gees and their horrible falsetto singing were everywhere.

Van Halen came out and brought ball-busting rock to the forefront again. For better or worse, he ushered in the 80s hair bands. People have taken his style further than he did now, but his legacy really should be bring back rock to the mainstream.

Archived