Guitar players you never "got"

chisa

• Members

van halen - might be as i am british as VH were never big here,.

clapton - don't seen the attraction.

michael angelo tufnel - ditto

satrani - people say he's soulful because he plays the odd blues scale - sounds terrible to me.

paul gilbert - ditto

john petrucci - dream theatre write very silly songs overshadowing anything he could play to redeem it.

shawn lane - fat delay drenched noise.

michael schenker - german pisshead.

zakk wylde - borrrring.

prince - trying to be niles rogers.

ronnie montrose - who?

This is spot-on.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't want to turn this into a Van Halen thread, but to appreciate him, I think you had to be there when their first album came out. He pretty much singlehandedly rescued rock from the clutches of glam, disco and punk.

Clapton was playing Lay Down Sally, the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith were wearing more makeup than most women, bands like the Ramones were dumbing down guitar playing, and John Travolta and his leisure suit and the Bee Gees and their horrible falsetto singing were everywhere.

Van Halen came out and brought ball-busting rock to the forefront again. For better or worse, he ushered in the 80s hair bands. People have taken his style further than he did now, but his legacy really should be bring back rock to the mainstream.

yeah, i think that i why i don't get VH. wasn't there. first VH i heard was "why can't this be love", at that time everyone was doing the same VH stuff.

• Members

Slash: i dontz like him. People think hes awesome. Penatonic blues scale, that is all.

Jeff Beck: Good player but when he touches the whammy bar, no thanks.

All the noise makers i really dont get. Its cool but not a whole album of it.

• Members

My biggest one is Frank Gambale.

The dudes playing does NOTHING for me. I don't even get impressed, it's just...blech.

mr gambale. anyone who starts a solo on a b5 needs to sort themselves out.:cop::cop::cop:

and that whole fusion "chorus distortion" sound - blah

• Members

VH - tone, technique, made it cool to play guitar again. it blew my mind finding out 'eruption' was a guitar.

the steves - howe, hackett, vai, vaughn ('nuff said)

the edge - amazing, innovative.

petrucci - i took lessons and roadied for him after the first album, so i'm biased. as a rack weenie, you gotta love him. as a boogie head, ya gotta give him love. his tone is amazing, but i can see where people think the band's over the top.

metal guys - dime. fear factory guy. can't think of anyone else right now.

not neccesarily great guitarist, but crucial band members - guys from tool and system of a down. radiohead guy.

not my full list...

• Members

most "shred" guitarists. woo, you can shred. but can you write a good song?

This,

except I do like Eddie Van Halen. He's an exception because he has an ear for melody and phrasing that a lot shredders lack, plus he's the original.

I have a real appreciation for the greats like Clapton and SRV, but I can only take so much of traditional blues before I'm jonesin' for something outside the minor pentatonic. It's not my favorite scale by a long stretch.

• Members

SRV - the guy can play but there is something abotu it that feels cold to me. Plus I can never bring myself to like a man who had such little taste. The musical note guitar strap! The {censored}ing hats! The pleated trousers! Jesus!

Pretty much every shredder going.

Michael Landau - of all the session men, he annoys me the most. I don't know. He just does.

• Members

john petrucci - dream theatre write very silly songs overshadowing anything he could play to redeem it.

Don't know why but this got me laughing uncontrollably... Sigged!

I'm only starting to 'get' most "wierd" guitarists .You know, the ones you like here, guys like johnny Greenwood, Billy Corgan, Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo etc. A couple of years ago I really hated them, but now I'm starting to get them.

But for some reason I've always liked Tom Morello, and he can be pretty wierd...

• Members
SRV - the guy can play but there is something abotu it that feels cold to me. Plus I can never bring myself to like a man who had such little taste. The musical note guitar strap! The {censored}ing hats! The pleated trousers! Jesus!

See ... I would argue that the only thing he could do was play with feeling :idk:

Damn good point about the pants, though :facepalm:

• Members

Probably most if i'm honest.

I 'get' :

Pete Townsend, Bob Mould, Kurt Cobain, Joey Santiago (Pixies), Angus Young, Adam Franklin & Jimmy Hartridge (Swervedriver) Kevin Shields, Evan Dando (Lemonheads), Brendan Benson, Roger McGuinn, J Mascis, Paul Weller (The jam) Noel Gallagher (Oasis) Steve Marriot (Small Faces) Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom), Joe Strummer, Billy Duffy, Robert Smith......um, and the guys from Teenage Fanclub

if someone can tell me what they have in common, that's what I 'get'....

edit: {censored} and Daniel Ash.

• Members

not neccesarily great guitarist, but crucial band members - guys from tool and system of a down. radiohead guy.

i think adam jones is one of the best guitarists there are today, because he realizes that guitar is an instument to make music, not noise and shred all the time, he knows his spot to play, and he knows his spot to be quiet, he is hands down my fav guitarist tho, so i am some-what biased...

• Members

Probably most if i'm honest.

I 'get' :

Pete Townsend, Bob Mould, Kurt Cobain, Joey Santiago (Pixies), Angus Young, Adam Franklin & Jimmy Hartridge (Swervedriver) Kevin Shields, Evan Dando (Lemonheads), Brendan Benson, Roger McGuinn, J Mascis, Paul Weller (The jam) Noel Gallagher (Oasis) Steve Marriot (Small Faces) Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom), Joe Strummer, Billy Duffy, Robert Smith......um, and the guys from Teenage Fanclub

if someone can tell me what they have in common, that's what I 'get'....

edit: {censored} and Daniel Ash.

Many of them are equally great songwriters.

• Members

i like j mascis, but i think i like his song writing more than his playing.

yeah, I know what you mean......I not really a fan of Noel Gallagher or Oasis, but I do 'get' his style and it works imo.

...same with J Mascis i suppose, I get his style, it just makes sense to me that those songs have that beautiful racket along with them.

• Members
See ... I would argue that the
only
thing he could do was play with feeling
:idk:

Damn good point about the pants, though
:facepalm:

After watching some of the El Mocambo footage on Youtube, I came away feeling like I'd seen a technical demonstration of his ability rather than a musical event. With Hendrix, the song always comes through. That's always been my problem with a lot of solo guitarists, that their 'songs' aren't songs so much as a demonstration of their technical abilities. What Hendrix had was the ability to blend the song in with the technique and make it totally seamless.

Pleated trousers though. They should feature in anti-booze ads. Hendrix took drugs and wore exotic outfits. The Stones did smack and dressed cool. The punks had speed and wore rags that looked great. SRV drank too much and ended up wearing pleats. Proof that alcohol really does affect the mind in horrendous ways.

• Members

^^^

I shoulda mentioned that I got hendrix too, what you are saying there is spot on.....my favortie hendix moment, is (I think at montery festival) he just about to play 'wild thing' (I think) he strums he guitar and it's {censored}ing way out of tune, does he stop and tune up using a strobostomp? does he {censored}! he just unleashes the most mindblowing all hell breaking lose version I've ever heard him play....and leaves everyone stunned! :)

...genuis.

Archived