Small stone VS Phase 90

BTBAM

• Members

I like my Phase 90.. It's got the right amount of depth and resonance for what I play.

I used to have a boss PH-2 Super Phaser, which was cool too, because if you cranked the resonance knob full, you'd get this very drippy, metallicy phase.

I've not used a Small Stone, so I can't say anything about it.

• Members

I have an original script Phase 90 and it's the only pedal I know I'll never get rid of. Nothing else I've tried really nailed that sound. I also have a Russian Small Stone, which I liked, but it developed this problem where the effect wouldn't turn on for several seconds after I hit the switch. It lives in it's box on a shelf now.

• Members

I also have a Russian Small Stone, which I liked, but it developed this problem where the effect wouldn't turn on for several seconds after I hit the switch. It lives in it's box on a shelf now.

i think mine's developing a similar problem.. :facepalm:

switch it on and no effect.. turn the knob up to half way and suddenly the effect appears. damn.

i'd look at something else to be honest. both the USA small stone and the MXR Phase 90 have some major flaws for me. there are better phasers out there. trust me.

• Members

The small stone takes your tone and colors it and adds movement

the phase 90 takes your signal and moves it, really no color or depth.

I don't know if that explained it very well, but it's ballpark, it's kinda hard to explain but if you were to hear it you would understand instantly

• Members

ive had the phase 90, phase 100, nebula and small stone and i like the small stone best by far. i dont know how to describe it, but it sounds less 'airy' to me than the mxr's. but, i tried modding my stone to fix the volume drop and it is now dead :(

if there was a small stone with a simple boost in it as well with a boost adjustment, that would be an AWESOME phaser IMO.

• Members

Just to hit some other ground, I was some phase...some movement...but I don't think I need some all out crazy phaser, just a standard phaser.

However, if you want to suggest other phasers, my ears are open.

I have tried the boss ph-3 and the maxon 350

• Members

I have the Russian Small Stone, covers all my phaser needs except for the volume drop but if you have a boost or a toobscreamer to run after it you're good. Also for the people experiencing the delay of phase start, its something that only happens on the Rusky Small Stone, you gotta let it warm up. I usually turn it on and let it run until the phase comes in before practice or a show, and then its good to go.

I did A/B the Russian Small Stone to a EVH phase 90, I'll stick with my Small Stone

The Phase 90 wasnt warm like the Small Stone, too cold and brittle

• Members

I have the Small Stone. Never tried the Phase 90. Small Stone is your classic 70's analog phaser. It has a volume drop but put a Boss pedal before it and that solves 95% of the volume drop issue (due to the buffers). Everyone has their preference on which they like. I also have a Boss PH-3 for the phaser effects.

Archived