Why is the Circle of Fifths also

thedh02

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been thinking about getting the Circle of Fifths for a couple of years. Despite what damnuandurdog says, I don't feel it's necessarily pretentious. To me, it represents the wonders of music theory. It's the very beginning of a world of theory that's practically mathematical and yet (to me) more satisfying than math--how something so beautiful can be analyzed and made tangible.

At the same time, getting something permanent on your body you don't really understand simply to learn it is definitely lame. If your heart is set on getting a tattoo, you should take time to let the idea come to you, rather than searching for an excuse to get some ink. Something you imagine you'll be proud to show off and no amount of criticism will discourage your love for it--because no matter what you get, people will question your reasoning. And take time choosing an artist! The person you go to has control over a permanent part of your physical appearance. Do your homework beforehand.

• Members

I've been thinking about getting the Circle of Fifths for a couple of years. Despite what damnuandurdog says, I don't feel it's necessarily pretentious. To me, it represents the wonders of music theory. It's the very beginning of a world of theory that's practically mathematical and yet (to me) more satisfying than math--how something so beautiful can be analyzed and made tangible.

At the same time, getting something permanent on your body you don't really understand simply to learn it is definitely lame. If your heart is set on getting a tattoo, you should take time to let the idea come to you, rather than searching for an excuse to get some ink. Something you imagine you'll be proud to show off and no amount of criticism will discourage your love for it--because no matter what you get, people will question your reasoning. And take time choosing an artist! The person you go to has control over a permanent part of your physical appearance. Do your homework beforehand.

Except that the circle of fifths/fourths is a somewhat arbitrary pattern forced into existence by consciously using a tempered scale. It's fantastic in its own right and has allowed us to do some cool stuff w/ harmony, but if you want the REAL beauty, IMO, you have to let that circle nudge back into the SPIRAL that's created by actual ratios.

• Members

Except that the circle of fifths/fourths is a somewhat arbitrary pattern forced into existence by consciously using a tempered scale. It's fantastic in its own right and has allowed us to do some cool stuff w/ harmony, but if you want the REAL beauty, IMO, you have to let that circle nudge back into the SPIRAL that's created by actual ratios.

[YOUTUBE]uhxfdkbo4KU&feature[/YOUTUBE]

• 7 months later...
  • Members

i have the circle of fifths tattooed on my arm. it was a bitch. tattoo artist hated it but i gave him some extra cash. i love it. its sweet when people know what it is. i do get a lot of people that say "what song is that?" jesus it gets annoying. {censored}, i figured what else do spend most of my time doing other than shredd. if you can't explain what it is, then don't get it. its hard to make it anything other than just the circle of fifths. my tattoo artist suggested a flower. but it looked like an artichoke. i love artichokes. but that would be just really really wrong. the last flat on C flat rubbed off on the stencil before he could draw it in. but thats easily fixable. just needs to be drawn in.

if you dont know why its called the circle of fourths and fifths and how key signatures are generated. i wouldnt reccommend it.

• Members

i could smell it on ya.

well for starters... don't get this. period. i'm moderately tattooed and in the process of suiting, and i don't know a single tattoo artist that would take this seriously enough to put any effort into it. one of my good friends that's been tattooing for 10 years would probably charge you shop rate + 25% because he wouldn't want to do it.

even if somebody did try really hard with this, there isn't a whole lot that they could do with it to make it an interesting tattoo. it'll just look like a poorly drawn turtle shell or soccer ball from far away, and then as observers get closer it'll just look like some {censored}ed up sudoku puzzle.

now granted there are varying philosophies on tattoos, ranging from cosmetic to deeply personal and the gray in between. it's all a matter of preference and personality as to what each person's reasons are, but i find the more cosmetic stuff tends to be "because it would look cool." the "because it would look cool" rationale is why douchebags are walking around with barbed wire armbands that only go halfway around because they pussed out on the inner part of their arm.

plus (from my experience and just about everybody else i know in the tattooed community) as a tattoo n00b, you typically end up getting a tattoo that you won't like as much later from an artist that is not as good as those you'll find later. lesson learned, i just got mine reworked and considered covering them up. find somebody you know that has good work. like really good work. and i'm not talking about {censored}ty tribal or kanji (japanese characters) or that chick with the cross tramp stamp. i gurantee none of these people know {censored} about tattoos. if you don't know the right person yet, this is the perfect opportunity to think harder about what you really really want for your first tattoo. then, when you find someone with good work that can actually hold a conversation about tattoos without it being about
their
tattoos and how cool they think they look, have them show you the ropes.

All of this +1

I'm getting to be fairly heavily tattooed now. Sleeves, chest, hands, neck, some on my legs and I'm starting my backpiece later this year. About 100 hours or so +/-, and I'm somewhat of a collector too, so somewhere around 12 different artists now.

I know a bit about what makes a good tattoo and what makes a bad one, and this has the potential to go horribly wrong. Subject matter aside, from a purely technical viewpoint circles and super straight lines make bad tattoos. They're next to impossible to get perfect, and particularly on an area like the forearm which is quite rounded. You'd have a better chance on somewhere big and flat, like a shoulder blade, perhaps. But still, it will likely make a pretty bad tattoo.

• Members

and grantlack for the win. he's about the only person here that has any idea how deep the tattoo rabbit hole goes.

I still don't.

OP: go hang out in a tattoo shop for a while. There's symbolism in all those hipster tattoos - nautical stars, those cartoony sparrows, everything has a deeper meaning. These tattoos have become symbols signifying something over hundreds of years, mostly because they make good tattoos - they're not overly complex (like the circle of fifths), and they fade well. Then, get into technique. you have no idea how deep the tattoo rabbit hole goes, and only about 5% of people with tattoo guns are 'artists.'

Or just get the circle of fifths branded into you. whatevs.

Archived