Why is the Circle of Fifths also

thedh02

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and only about 5% of people with tattoo guns are 'artists.'

It's probably even less than that.

the best advice I can give is don't go to your local artist, because they likelihood is they totally blow. You have to research the good artists, be prepared to travel, and be prepared to get on a 6 month or longer waiting list.

I tend to travel to London for my work because there's a pretty high concentration of world standard artists there. Brighton too. Manchester is abismal for tattooers, there's nobody here of a standard I'd let work on me, so it's worth a couple of hundred miles each way to get to the right artists.

• Members

Love tattoo thread day. +1 for all the good advice. Bad tattoos are {censored}, end of story. Good tattoos are awesome and follow a style. And you can't get them just anywhere.

tattoos I like

just my two cents -- and of course my personal taste.

the "anomaly" one is my favorite. I wish I had thought of it.

• Members
called the circle of fourths?

I no understand

I'm planning on getting it tattoo'd on my arm,

just wanna know more about it

take a 5th above a root note. If you inverted it and used the 5th below instead of above, the root note is a 4th above that note.

• Members

I believe it's called the circle of fifths and the
cycle
of fourths:idk:

actually you can call it either one.

they're both cycles or circles. it doesnt matter. a cycle is an interval sequence.

lets make it real simple folks. fifths invert to 4ths, 3rds invert to 6ths, 2nds invert to 7ths...and vice versa.

perfect inverts to perfect, major inverts to minor, diminished inverts to augmented

• Members

Lethal Weapon was on tv today and the Special Forces tattoo looks pretty cool and you could meet chicks at bars and be like 'oh, that's my special forces tattoo' and they'd wanna bang.

If I saw a guy with a circle of fifths tattoo I would automatically assume he was a piss poor musician more concerned with the projection of ability/talent rather than an inherent interest in the actual music itself.

So get a Special Forces tattoo. If someone asks if you've ever killed anybody just let your sunglasses drop down your nose a little bit and say 'nobody yet today'.

:thu:

• Members

one of my good friends that's been tattooing for 10 years would probably charge you shop rate + 25% because he wouldn't want to do it.

even if somebody did try really hard with this, there isn't a whole lot that they could do with it to make it an interesting tattoo. it'll just look like a poorly drawn turtle shell or soccer ball from far away, and then as observers get closer it'll just look like some {censored}ed up sudoku puzzle.

I don't know where you are getting your tattoos, but this is bull{censored}. My dad owns a couple of tattoo studios, so I can safely say I'm not a total noob!

I can see how you might think that.. But most artists (at least the good ones) are creatively enough to turn some these kind of 'boring' things into nice looking, interesting tattoos. I'm not even an artist and I can think of ways to turn this diagram into a nice looking tattoo..

I agree on your other points, don't rush into anything and take your time picking a design, wait two years and if you still want it by then, do it :thu:

• Members

i could smell it on ya.

well for starters... don't get this. period. i'm moderately tattooed and in the process of suiting, and i don't know a single tattoo artist that would take this seriously enough to put any effort into it. one of my good friends that's been tattooing for 10 years would probably charge you shop rate + 25% because he wouldn't want to do it.

even if somebody did try really hard with this, there isn't a whole lot that they could do with it to make it an interesting tattoo. it'll just look like a poorly drawn turtle shell or soccer ball from far away, and then as observers get closer it'll just look like some {censored}ed up sudoku puzzle.

now granted there are varying philosophies on tattoos, ranging from cosmetic to deeply personal and the gray in between. it's all a matter of preference and personality as to what each person's reasons are, but i find the more cosmetic stuff tends to be "because it would look cool." the "because it would look cool" rationale is why douchebags are walking around with barbed wire armbands that only go halfway around because they pussed out on the inner part of their arm.

plus (from my experience and just about everybody else i know in the tattooed community) as a tattoo n00b, you typically end up getting a tattoo that you won't like as much later from an artist that is not as good as those you'll find later. lesson learned, i just got mine reworked and considered covering them up. find somebody you know that has good work. like really good work. and i'm not talking about {censored}ty tribal or kanji (japanese characters) or that chick with the cross tramp stamp. i gurantee none of these people know {censored} about tattoos. if you don't know the right person yet, this is the perfect opportunity to think harder about what you really really want for your first tattoo. then, when you find someone with good work that can actually hold a conversation about tattoos without it being about
their
tattoos and how cool they think they look, have them show you the ropes.

BOOOSSHH!!

• Members

Bumping this thread because I didn't want to make another thread, but I needed some board clearance on a tattoo idea to make sure I'm not doing anything crazy.

I was thinking about getting one of these:

wolfgang-amadeus-phoenix-album-cover.jpg

Tattooed on me. Just the outline to one. Maybe 5 inches in length. I'm big on outlines right now, and there would be no words on it. I feel like not having the words would salvage it from being a "BAND TATTOO" while still retaining the initial meaning behind it. As much as this album and band means to me (lots of memories tied to it, really influential on my own musical journey), I still like the design.

• Members

Bumping this thread because I didn't want to make another thread, but I needed some board clearance on a tattoo idea to make sure I'm not doing anything crazy.

I was thinking about getting one of these:

wolfgang-amadeus-phoenix-album-cover.jpg

Tattooed on me. Just the outline to one. Maybe 5 inches in length. I'm big on outlines right now, and there would be no words on it. I feel like not having the words would salvage it from being a "BAND TATTOO" while still retaining the initial meaning behind it. As much as this album and band means to me (lots of memories tied to it, really influential on my own musical journey), I still like the design.

Funky Squaredance, mother{censored}er.

Archived