This documentary I'm in (noise/experimental "music" content)

greaseenvelope

• Members

While there are tons of offshoots of things that can be considered 'music', I'll admit that I enjoy traditional 'songs' that conform to the fairly rigid guidelines that akliner talks about - melody, harmony, chord progressions, and even lyrics that tell a story. :eek:

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
While there are tons of offshoots of things that can be considered 'music', I'll admit that I enjoy traditional 'songs' that conform to the fairly rigid guidelines that akliner talks about - melody, harmony, chord progressions, and even lyrics that tell a story.
:eek:

Fascist! :mad:

Reactionaries like you will be the first against the wall after the revolution!

• Members

More Noise Please

by Steven Jesse Bernstein

I live on a street where there are many, many cars and trucks and factories that pump and bang and grind all night and day. It is a miracle that I can write poetry or sleep or talk on the telephone or that my lover will visit me here. There is so much noise. Every few minutes a jet in comes in low or a prop job swings down like a kamikaze. There is an airport at the end of my street. The New Age people say that you choose all these things, choose the cars and trucks and airplanes, me and all of my neighbors. Well, maybe this is true, maybe we can't live without all this God damn noise. Maybe I need the noise to write poems, make love, and eat. I'm going to hang a sign out my window that says More Noise Please, or Thank You For Making Noise! Maybe we are the kind of people who need to have what we don't want just to get along, to do the basic things. Myself, I could not sleep last night and I could not close the window, either. I tried to tear the window out of its frame and put it in a closed position, banging and ripping with a hammer and a screwdriver, standing on the window ledge in my socks, three stories up. But the window wouldn't come out, the factory was screaming and the trucks were rumbling and the whole world was praying for silence and it was up to me to shut the window and I couldn't get it down. I was just making more noise. A jet went by and all the people waved. "Thanks!," I yelled as the shift changed without a lull in production at the big plant across the street. The workers lined up at the bus stop, watching me with my hammer in the window. I put sponge stoppers in my ears but I can't stand those things for more than a few minutes. Finally I put my head between two pillows. It is the same every night. I love it. I need it. "Without you I could not live! I would not have written this poem!," I yell, the window dangling half on, half off.

• Members

I looked at that Cocolase thing, plus some of his other devices yesterday. They look awfully cool, and reasonably priced. I'd love to hear more about your experience with it. If you want you can pm me, since it's a bit off topic here, maybe...

I have a couple of demos here:

http://myspace.com/governorsilver

"Such As The Iraq" (the joke is old now, but who cares) and "Cocolase Guitar Demo" (not very original title, but again, who cares). The controls do work as described on Peter's site but because of his analog brain modeling philosophy, I find the controls other than Speed, Skip-Flip, Input (gain) and Feedback are more for influencing the Cocolase's behavior that dictating it. The guitar track is more representative of the sound that I want from it nowadays. I use it purely for processing external audio and not the internal synth.

I'll be happy to answer other questions here or in PM.

• Members

Precisely. This is what we've been talking about the whole time though.

I feel confident saying that music = organize sound in time.

Where sound is tonal and time is measured, and repeatable.

Jesus F. Christ - and like I said, you've given no argument at all, because what you're saying is 100% circular. Dufus alert.

• Members

bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!!!!

bicker bicker bicker bicker.......

musicman3aph7.jpgb00000f14b01lzzzzzzzwg6.jpg

1st salesman: Cash for the merchandise, cash for the button hooks

3rd salesman: Cash for the cotton goods, csh for the hard goods

1st Salesman: Cash for the fancy goods

2nd salesman: cash for the noggins and the piggins and the frikins

3rd Salesman: Cash for the hogdhead, cask and demijohn. Cash for the crackers and the pickels and the flypaper

4th Salesman: Look whatayatalk. whatayatalk, whatayatalk, whatayataalk, whatayatalk?

5th Salesman: Weredayagitit?

4th Salesman: Whatayatalk?

1st Salesman: Ya can talk, ya can talk, ya can bicker ya can talk, ya can bicker, bicker bicker ya can talk all ya want

but is different than it was.

Charlie: No it ain't, no it ain't, but ya gotta know the territory.

Rail car: Shh shh shh shh shh shh shh

3rd Salesman: Why it's the Model T Ford made the trouble, made the prople wanna go, wanna get, wanna get up and go

seven eight , nine, ten, twelve, fourteen, twent-two, twenty-three milew to the county seat

1st Salesman: Yes sir, yes sir

3rd Salesman: Who's gonna patronize a little bitty two by four kinda store anymore?

4th Salesman: Whaddaya talk, whaddaya talk.

5th Salesman: Where do you get it?

3rd Salesman: Gone, gone

Gone with the hogshead cask and demijohn, gone with the sugar barrel, pickel barrel, milk pan, gone with the tub and

the pail and the fierce

2nd Salesman: Ever meet a fellow by the name of Hill?

1st Salesman: Hill?

Charlie: Hill?

3rd Salesman: Hill?

4th Salesman: Hill?

1st Newspaper Hill?

2nd Newspaper: Hill?

5th Salesman: Hill?

2nd Salesman: Hill?

All but Charlie and 2nd Salesman: NO!

4th Salesman: Never heard of any salesman Hill

2nd Salesman: Now he dosen't know the territory

1st Salesman: Dosen't know the territory?!?

3rd Salesman: Whats the fellows line?

2nd Salesman: Never worries bout his line

1st Salesman: Never worries bout his line?!?

2nd Salesman: Or a doggone thing. He's just a bang beat, bell ringing, Big haul, great go, neck or nothin, rip roarin,

every time a bull's eye salesman. Thats Professor Harold Hill, Harold Hill

3rd Salesman: What's the fellows line?

5th Salesman: Whats his line?

Charlie: He's a fake, and he dosen't know the territory!

4th Salesman: Look, whaddayatalk, whaddayatalk, whaddayatalk, whaddaystalk?

2nd Saleman: He's a music man

1st Salesman: He's a what?

3rd Salesman: He's a what?

2nd Salesman: He's a music man and he sells clarinets to the kids in the town with the big trombones and the rat-a-tat

drums, big barass bass, big brass bass, and the piccolo, the piccolo with uniforms, too with a shiny gold braid

on the coat and a big red stripe runnin . . .

1st Salesman: Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir.

Mandolin picks, perhaps and here and there a Jew's harp ...

2nd Salesman: No, the fellow sells bands, Boys bands. I don't know how he does it but he lives like a king and he dallies

and he gathers and he plucks and shines and when the man dances, certinely boys, what else? The piper pays him! Yes sir ,yes

sir,yes sir, yes sir, when the man dances, certinely boys, what else?The piper pays him! Yessssir, Yessssir

Charlie: But he dosen't know the territory!

• Members

Reading this forum sometimes is like reading the mainstream news on the elections - it's not about the issues, it's about the sport only. Except there are more stupid pictures and jokes here.

take part in an argument that is less retarded and we wont make fun of you people. Seriously, this back and forth nonsense is getting you dumbasses nowhere.

more pictures for the serious discussion that is so meaningfull on multiple levels of differing orders of autocorrelations and formats.

279334598_a38ac80436_o.gif

Gay.gif

• Members
take part in an argument that is less retarded and we wont make fun of you people. Seriously, this back and forth nonsense is getting you dumbasses nowhere.

more pictures for the serious discussion that is so meaningfull on multiple levels of differing orders of autocorrelations and formats.

279334598_a38ac80436_o.gif
Gay.gif

Oh, so that's what you're doing. I can't even tell. Just seems like a bunch of idiots with bad senses of humor.

• Members

Jesus F. Christ - and like I said, you've given no argument at all, because what you're saying is 100% circular. Dufus alert.

I think I'm done with you. First you tell me I'm circular, then you tell me I'm inconsistent, then you tell me I'm circular.

Just because I'm standing by the way I perceive and qualify music does not mean I'm incapable of making a strong argument.

And then you name-call which, for somebody who is constantly telling me I don't know how to form an argument, is pretty fundamentally stupid...to be honest.

So we've reached a moot point. So what? It happens all the time. I'm not saying you're a {censored}ing idiot because you don't see things my way, why aren't you extending that to me?

Archived