This documentary I'm in (noise/experimental "music" content)

greaseenvelope

• Members

He brought the term "pwnage" and I brought a "STFU N00B".

I "brought the term" because this thread is pretty much you getting pwned by everyone who bothers to post. I love how you still will not concede all these points you've kept taking back from the beginning of teh thread. Time to face the fact that while these academic values are of use to you getting grants for theater pieces (or rather writing the papers that will get you the magic letters required to get grants), they are not really relevant to contemporary definitions of music for many. I think your definition of music as sounds over time is fine, but your (or, as you claim, their) definitions of both sound and time need work. As people have repeatedly pointed out in this thread. Please listen to the Shaggs and tell me that you can count out all the parts.

The LOLcatsification that has occurred in this thread is probably for the best.

Good luck making a living via arts funding and grant writing Akliner. Hope it works out for you.

Haha noise threads on music boards are always funny/depressing.

Best was the one on Something Awful where some jock posted a rant about some noise act that were playing at a party he was going to go to, started about 15 pages of arguments about noise (including that stupid yet suprisingly common 'opinion' "no one could POSSIBLY like noise - they must all be pretending just to look cool!")and then he went to the gig, really enjoyed and 'got' it, and posted what must be the worlds first and only internet messageboard apology.

argumentix

"Languishing Hams wrote:

Oh man that guy ends up being the lynchpin douchebag in the train wreck that is that thread."

yeah, that person reminds me of every other person who primarily communicates with other human beings via internet message boards.

personally, i'm done trying to defend or explain noise to anyone. if they don't like it, maybe someday they will.

timdrage

"Yeah, that person reminds me of every other person who primarily communicates with other human beings via internet message boards."

Worse he's the kind of person who admittedly has zero interest in the subject at hand but really wants to pedantically argue about it. I bet he also edits wikipedia

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
he turns on his Q (...bitches), dials in a random fluctuating patch and presses just one key, he then leaves for about 1-2 hours and comes back and records whats going on.

only a fellow Q owner, such as myself could understand.

I got a Nord Modular G2 and a Cocolase Device, both of which can do whatever they want (ok the G2 needs a noodle patch to be loaded first), so I sorta understand. :cool:

• Members
I "brought the term" because this thread is pretty much you getting pwned by everyone who bothers to post. I love how you still will not concede all these points you've kept taking back from the beginning of teh thread. Time to face the fact that while these academic values are of use to you getting grants for theater pieces (or rather writing the papers that will get you the magic letters required to get grants), they are not really relevant to contemporary definitions of music for many. I think your definition of music as sounds over time is fine, but your (or, as you claim,
their
) definitions of both sound and time need work. As people have repeatedly pointed out in this thread. Please listen to the Shaggs and tell me that you can count out all the parts.

The LOLcatsification that has occurred in this thread is probably for the best.

Good luck making a living via arts funding and grant writing Akliner. Hope it works out for you.

:rolleyes:

And you've brought so much to the conversation! :eek:

Also, if you consider me very much holding my own against Drool pwnge, then you need to work on your definitions.

• Members
Uhh.. I started it? Please read my posts and pick them apart for their non-content.

No thanks :wave:

I'm just referring to the only interaction I've had with you is you chiming in to say I'm getting "pwnd" and you're going to report me to your noise message boards for a laugh.

You really haven't done anything to stand by your work, except say that MY (though, really, I challenge you to approach a music teacher and ask them to define music) definition of music is sad and out of date.

No. You really haven't done all that much.

• Members

You have a pretty poor memory then.

You made this statement.

The "musicians" are adjusting parameters with little to no predictable outcome.

I refuted it. This thread is a history of you making such statements and then going on after they are refuted as if nothing had happened. Thus, we leave the discussion. Because it isn't one.

• Members

Big fan of pannekoeken here! Both the type that takes up the whole plate by itself and the smaller "dollar-size" ones.

Also tried a Waffle House waffle for the first time last week, with pecans. Mmm... good sheet, mang...

You ever had the real-deal maple syrup?...thin as water but totally soaks into the cake...

MMMmmmmm.

• Members

OK I'm wrong. I checked the thread, my bust. Sorry.

Anyway, your noise forum chums seem to have the right idea...it's a conflict of ideologies noise and conventional music.

Somebody even said they've given up on it.

Am I the guy that edits WikiPedia?

• Members

You made this statement.

I refuted it. This thread is a history of you making such statements and then going on after they are refuted as if nothing had happened. Thus, we leave the discussion. Because it isn't one

That was an uneducated statement on my part. I really wasn't up to doing serious debate until later in the thread when it was suggested that the definition of music I provided was a concoction in my head.

That's the conversation I remember.

• Members

That was an uneducated statement on my part. I really wasn't up to doing serious debate until later in the thread when it was suggested that the definition of music I provided was a concoction in my head.

That's the conversation I remember.

Thank you! I really respect that, seriously. As I said, I couldn't care less if you like noise, but don't consider yourself educated about something which you are not. It makes you seem like the pretentious ass you accused me of being.

I'd also like to point out that I didn't start any conversation about conflicting ideologies or anything. That was all you people. I just showed a film I was in that I have ambiguous feelings about and knew some people would be interested. That was all. Then I responded to what some people said.

Many people are not going to like or get noise, this is a given.

And yes Akliner, you would be the wikieditor in question.

• Members

Thank you! I really respect that, seriously. As I said, I couldn't care less if you like noise, but don't consider yourself educated about something which you are not. It makes you seem like the pretentious ass you accused me of being.

I'd also like to point out that I didn't start any conversation about conflicting ideologies or anything. That was all you people. I just showed a film I was in that I have ambiguous feelings about and knew some people would be interested. That was all. Then I responded to what some people said.

Some people are not going to like or get noise, this is a given.

I know I was talking out of my ass about noise at first, based off of my stereotypes of it.

So I watched YouTube videos, listened to Allerian's work,etc. I took the guidelines for "music" (call them mine if you want, but really...) and thought about where some noise artists work fit into that, and where it didn't.

I really had a good time on this thread, pointless flames aside. It is just discussion. I still stand firmly by the qualities required to make "music" but you've got me THINKING about noise art. I had no idea it was popular in my area and I want to learn more about it (something also I said early on the thread)

I think it's really important to talk about and debate art. The Germans have a word for it (I forget) that means something like "creation through confrontation"

So thank you for bringing this up. I don't think I got "pwnd", but I was forced to look at a form I wouldn't have looked at otherwise. I respect people's opinions (really, I do) and it forced me to investigate my feelings about music as a whole and call into question my own definitions.

Like I said, at the heart of all this debate, I stand by what I've said about music, but I learned a couple things about noise.

P.S. Though I've been tempted, I've never brought myself to edit a WikiPedia definition!

• Members

I just thought it was funny that Webster can't even agree with itself on what music is

Webster's definition changes over time as common usage of the word changes. When I was in elementary school, if I said "aint" my teacher would reply "Aint aint in the dictionary". Well, sometime in the early 60s "aint" did get into the dictionary simply because it was used so much.

Here's what Webster's has to say about the word rap:

rap (verb)

transitive verb 1 : to strike with a sharp blow 2 : to utter suddenly and forcibly 3 : to cause to be or come by raps 4 : to criticize sharply

intransitive verb 1 : to strike a quick sharp blow 2 : to make a short sharp sound

rap (intransitive verb)

1 : to talk freely and frankly 2 : to perform rap music

Of the last definitions, the first would not have been in a dictionary prior to 1970 or so and the second until some time in the 1980s (it's absent from a 1983 paperback edition I keep at my desk).

• Members

So getting back to Cage, you seem to agree that he is a composer and that 4'33" is a musical work. If so, you're in agreement with many, many enlightened people. So, if it's music, how does it fit within your framework?

• Members

So getting back to Cage, you seem to agree that he is a composer and that 4'33" is a musical work. If so, you're in agreement with many, many enlightened people. So, if it's music, how does it fit within your framework?

4'33" is using convention to exploit convention.

Sure, he's scored this composition and has organized his silence according to the rules.

But, Just like leaving a canvas blank and calling it a painting, the piece serves more as a statement than it does an individual work of art.

• Members
4'33" is using convention to exploit convention.

Sure, he's scored this composition and has organized his silence according to the rules.

But, Just like leaving a canvas blank and calling it a painting, the piece serves more as a statement than it does an individual work of art.

Consider using "imo" a little more frequently. I get this feeling that you regard everything you say to be a fact, which then baits a fresh argument. :wave:

• Members
Consider using "imo" a little more frequently. I get this feeling that you regard everything you say to be a fact, which then baits a fresh argument.
:wave:

Yeah, I thought that's implied though...

Everything is just everyone's opinion.

Sorry, like I said, I'm in full academic research paper writing mode, where you don't modify anything with "In my opinion".

I'm literally switching from screen to screen.

Yes, it's all my opinion...of course!

• Members
No need, unless you're particularly good at it.
;)
No, I'm just enjoying this "is music / is NOT music" discussion. My wife recently had a class in art, and of course 4:33 was brought up, as was the guy that took a porcelain urinal, signed it and called it art (I forget the artist's name). In the class, the question was, "is this even art at all". Here, I don't think anyone's refuting that noise can be art; The only contention seems to be whether or not it's "music".

Thinking about this on my way home last night, I thought about sound designers for film and television, like effects, foley, etc. They certainly have an art, but I don't think any of them would call it "music".

letmeshowyouthem.jpg

I'm going to jig for you anyway.

Archived