This documentary I'm in (noise/experimental "music" content)

greaseenvelope

• Members

So I've been waiting for a while for this movie to be finished. I haven't seen the whole thing yet but the trailer looks interesting. All the quotes are way out of context and makes us look like total stoned/negative hippies but the sound/visual quality is pro. Looks like this will be touring festivals around 2008. If you want to know about DVD release or are involved in screening films yourself, feel free to get in touch with me via PM or the filmmaker. I know a lot of you don't think what I do is music or what have you. Here it is anyways:

http://www.peoplewhodonoise.com/

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Apparently my performance is great, but as I said I haven't seen the whole thing yet. I'm the guy in the yellow striped shirt that gets the last word in, but most of my music doesn't have vocals so the fact that they added that clip to the admittedly cool montage..

As for the flyrods, all of those are people I know pretty well and for the most part are pretty intelligent. Those quotes were almost selected out of context to be cheesy, it seems like. Especially the guy who has that whole "cosmic music.. electrons.. " quote is one of few people featured in the trailer who doesn't smoke, and builds all his own modulars, including adapting schematics from russian synth filter types and so forth. So the trailer is pretty misleading, let's hope the movie is better at telling the story.

And either way it's the musicians featured being interviewed, which is actually a pretty good sampling of people who were active in the "scene" at the time of filming, not anyone who has any experience talking in front of a camera.

• Members

TRAILER NOTES ...

THAT particular trailer makes the docu look fairly boring and the participants somewhat silly ... (esp. the lady in pink who couldn't play guitar ... )

Why is that noise behind the 'talk' so repetitive? (I don't think the payoff

• Members

"I can't play guitar very well, so I make noise" :lol:

That's one quote to not include on the DVD, because there are noise musicians who can also play conventional music very well. Baltimore's Audrey Chen is an excellent example - she's played classical cello since age 8 or so, yet chooses to play free improv and noise.

Nice product placement of Peter Blasser's Sidrassi Organ:

frist.jpg

• Members

Imo, the noise genre suffers from a very high percentage of crap. It seems to my ear that most of the participants are people who can't actually play more 'normal' music. Noise is a fine art, not just a bunch of random nonsense. Still takes a bunch of work, learning, fine tuning, eq work, etc.

• Members

Imo, the noise genre suffers from a very high percentage of crap. It seems to my ear that most of the participants are people who can't actually play more 'normal' music. Noise is a fine art, not just a bunch of random nonsense. Still takes a bunch of work, learning, fine tuning, eq work, etc.

Well, having been exposed to the best of the Baltimore and Washington DC scenes, I of course agree. The best noise musicians work very hard at their craft.

• Members

The noise scene here in Portland is pretty good, although I just moved here early this year from California and must say that it's not as interesting as what I experienced there. This is partly due to California being more expensive and difficult to live in (my reason for moving), so you had a lot more genuinely angry artist wanting to make their voice be heard which truly felt like it was a voice from the streets. Portland just seems a bit too laid back and less confrontational in terms of art, but at the same time the city is a lot more open minded, which is great.

• Members

Well, having been exposed to the best of the Baltimore and Washington DC scenes, I of course agree. The best noise musicians work very hard at their craft.

Could you and/or Allerian provide some links to the "choice" noise? I'm interested in hearing it having somewhat built up an expectation lately over what noise music could be.

Too bad it's a quicktime file - I shan't be able to see it (and no, I will not put quicktime on my 'puter).

• Members

Yeah, which is why I don't feel the lady in pink is appropriate. Can't play guitar, so it sounds like she's taking it out on listeners by being 'anti-music'. It gives noise a negative display. Also the guy saying he can listen to nothing and be very interested is a good quote, showing the diversity of noise as also having an ambient side and not just an annoying over the top side. Is the band Convertor from Seattle or Portland. But his noise shows how rhythmic noise can be. That's another aspect that I don't see in the trailer.

And, while I like good noise music, I'm not to fond of people yelling into a microphone unless that person is named Mike Patton.

Didn't like the trailer ending, but I do think it is really cool you're making this. I like to see raw underground stuff like this.

Us people really like to be critics huh Maybe to improve what we see in our own minds. But it's yours, so have fun with it. :thu:

• Members

Noise is inherently amusical.

If we look at the common definition of music as being the organization of sound in time, it would immediately disqualify the noise genre. The "musicians" are adjusting parameters with little to no predictable outcome. Their work is practically unrepeatable. There is no legacy.

I appreciate noise as a social statement, and I understand that it can exist as a performance art- in fact, the qualities about it are fascinating to me.

But it certainly is NOT music. It does not sound good. I don't think it's supposed to.

I did not know Baltimore had a respected noise scene. Maybe I'll look into it.

• Members

Noise is inherently amusical.

If we look at the common definition of music as being the organization of sound in time, it would immediately disqualify the noise genre. The "musicians" are adjusting parameters with little to no predictable outcome. Their work is practically unrepeatable. There is no legacy.

Wow. I don't even know where to start with that one.

This third sentence of yours is pure ignorance. If you don't like a sound you hear, you are entirely justified thinking to yourself "oh {censored}, this is bull{censored}" and walking away. As I do when I pass most music venues playing the kind of sequencer jack-off or blues-rock rerererehashed stuff many folks on here spend their time, energy, and love promoting. But don't say that you know anything about what the people are or are not doing in that place, because this statement makes it clear that you do not. Btw many of my fav acts have "scores". A handful I know are employed in their day jobs as video game sound designers, or are active in other musical genres. They know exactly what they are doing and want to be doing it, unrepeatable or no. In answer to is it music, I do think that some acts are doing something more akin to sculpture than music, but that's neither here nor there. You don't like it, that's fine. Pretending to know anything about it from a trailer I have stated is a misleading into is, well.. :bor:

I think I'm going to link this discussion with the noise forums, so they can have a laugh.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Noises (circa 1913)

• Members

PS: The trailer's also on youtube.

Re-Member: Have I seen you at a show? Come to my house on the 29th. Baltimore, Cleveland, Providence acts on tour. Should be mental. And I agree with you re: LA/pdx difference. It is way too mellow in Portland to feed a scene of really gripping power electronics/harsh noise (although those acts exist.. Danial Menche.. Behalf.. Josh Hydeman.. Oscillating Innards..).. most of the acts are much more psychedelic/collage oriented.

I wouldn't say Merzbow is the "Dylan" of noise. I actually can't stand his stuff. If he's the Dylan in that many think the genre should be derivative of his sound, I guess that's true. And Allerian's right, most noise is directionless garbage. The good stuff, however, is quite compelling. Keeps me looking, and inspires my own work (noisy or no). Unlike many noise dudes, I rarely sit around listening to huge blasting harsh walls, no matter how artfully constructed or dynamic they might be (maybe an occasional 7"). That's really much better experienced live.

I'm into Bay Area weirdos like Bran(..)Pos and Hans Grusel's Krankenkabinet, and this guy in France called Evil Moisture.

Evil Moisture:

[YOUTUBE]bCD1KvpItpw[/YOUTUBE]

also:

Apparently, I am my own Montgomery County noise scene.
:wave:

I know a guy in Silver Springs.

Archived