This documentary I'm in (noise/experimental "music" content)

greaseenvelope

• Members
I got a Nord Modular G2 and a Cocolase Device, both of which can do whatever they want (ok the G2 needs a noodle patch to be loaded first), so I sorta understand.
:cool:

I looked at that Cocolase thing, plus some of his other devices yesterday. They look awfully cool, and reasonably priced. I'd love to hear more about your experience with it. If you want you can pm me, since it's a bit off topic here, maybe...

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
bunny_pancake.jpg

Two meals in one. :thu:

Dictionaries must change over time because for the most part what they're defining are human constructs.
Because humans manufacture these constructs - such as 'music' and 'art', they also can change them.

The things that don't change so much are those that are 'discovered' from exploration of the natural world. Of course, errors can be made in interpretations, but these are usually rectified.

Pighood's method (not bashin on ya, piggie - just commenting), is one step further removed from algorithmic composition, because it's the programming of the Q itself that's doing the randomizing.

I've done it a few times, but don't get much satisfaction out of it, because I haven't been involved enough in the process of creating the result.

Must be a warped 'work ethic'. :D

• Members

But, Just like leaving a canvas blank and calling it a painting, the piece serves more as a statement than it does an individual work of art.

Do you think that's what the composer had in mind when he created the piece, or are you assigning that label based on your own biases?

• Members

Do you think that's what the composer had in mind when he created the piece, or are you assigning that label based on your own biases?

What do you mean by my biases?

I am speculating that there must have been some sort of greater thought behind the creation of a completely silent 4'33" composition aside from musical inspiration.

• Members

You said the piece was a 'statement', rather than a work of art. Do you think Cage intended 4'33" to be merely a statement?

Merely a statement? Wow...I think it's a pretty big statement! Nothing really "mere" about it.

A person who creates music makes the form or shape of a musical composition and leaves it completely blank.

Yeah...it's sending a pretty big message.

• Members

So what if a person who creates music makes the
form or shape of a musical composition
and fills it completely with noise?

Well I've been told conflict points of view about noise creation. I would assume that it is a statement, but some people in this thread maintain it's not. They are making sounds they like to listen to.

Also, form and shape of musical composition is in question here. Cage pretty much followed the rules of music, except vary the silences with sounds. Which puzzles a lot of people. If we have rests in music, but can we have an entire composition of just rests?

• Members

Precisely. Your reaction to noise music and 4'33" and any abstract art depends entirely on your biases of what constitutes form and shape.

Precisely. This is what we've been talking about the whole time though.

I feel confident saying that music = organize sound in time.

Where sound is tonal and time is measured, and repeatable.

• Members

I feel confident saying that music = organize sound in time.

Where sound is tonal and time is measured, and repeatable.

That's a shame, because you're excluding way too much important work done by some of the most creative minds on the planet. Try to be a little more inclusionary in your thinking.

• Members

So what if a person who creates music makes the form or shape of a musical composition and fills it completely with noise?

That's kind of what I was pointing out with my statement of sampling and sequencing a fart to play back in random notes and time signatures. By his definition, it is music, but that just really confuses the boundries.

Take a group like Pan Sonic, for example. Every sound they use is generated by noise generating sound devices, but they just layer and structure all their sounds in a conventional 4/4 manner.

But then you have artists like Boyd Rice who has taken old musical records and damanged them to skip in such a manner which can be used within a time signature, only a fractured one.

Noise Music: Is/Isn't

• Members

Furthermore, what's the point of drawing a line in the sand and saying, "this is music and this is not" in the first place? We humans often do this when we encounter something new or something we don't understand -- we try to put labels on things to make us feel better about it. Little do we know, those labels don't mean one damn thing.

Archived