This documentary I'm in (noise/experimental "music" content)

greaseenvelope

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One has to stumble around to answer questions like this, unless clarity is achieved:

If a piece evolves from the tonal/time signature 'definition', into non tonal noises without a time signature, and maybe back again....Is 'it' music? Is it both music and not music? Is it really multiple works of art - some music, some not music?

• Members

One has to stumble around to answer questions like this, unless clarity is achieved:

If a piece evolves from the tonal/time signature 'definition', into non tonal noises without a time signature, and maybe back again....Is 'it' music? Is it both music and not music? Is it really multiple works of art - some music, some not music?

I think it's intent. Noise breaks are common in rock music...there's one in my favorite track by the band Okkervil River. A non-musical break (or noise break) serves, in my opinion, to create dissonance and drama within the song structure. I think of it like one big suspension. When the musical structure returns after a noise break it's like one big resolution. A huge sigh of relief...a catharsis.

If the song dissolves into non-musicality territory and stays there until the end, I think of it as a feature of the track. An a-musical outro. But the fact that this feature is contained within the same musical track, makes it a part of the music even though, out of context, it isn't music.

Like I said, sound effects are common in produced songs. Strip away the song, you have a sound effect. I don't think that the noise outside of the music is still music. It because a sound cue. In the context of the song, however, it can add texture and drama to the piece.

It's very possible to have an entirely non-musical track on an album of music. It serves the album as multi-disciplinary art release. Is that track music? Probably not. And, like you have said, who really cares? It's a feature of the album. It's a story telling mechanism.

In my opinion.

Allerian, I have to do some writing, but I'll check out your CD baby later and let you know what I think.

I can say, I've already heard a lot of music on your website. :lol:

• Members

Newsflash: Pancakes and Waffles are made from the same batter !!!(Discuss: all in fun of course)

untrue: the classic waffle recipe i know involves whipped eggwhites and a {censored} ton of butter. i have never seen a pancake recipe with whipped eggwhites.

and yes, most instant-pancake/waffle recipes are the same, but the waffles usually suck.

• Members

untrue: the classic waffle recipe i know involves whipped eggwhites and a {censored} ton of butter. i have never seen a pancake recipe with whipped eggwhites.

and yes, most instant-pancake/waffle recipes are the same, but the waffles usually suck.

This was the most useful post of this thread. :lol:

• Members

P.S. I watched clips of some noise stuff at the Red Room in Brawltimore. I no longer question the sincerity of the fans being "into it".

While it's cool you stopped questioning the sincerity of the fans, I still think you should go see a noise show in person and meet Neil Feather, etc. in person.

Archived