Official "Smashing Pumpkins" appreciation thread.

b_nehpets

• Members

I've been psyched about having all this new fuzz on my board, and my buddy lending me his red witch fuzz god II tomorrow, so i started re-listening to the pumpkins stuff... mostly siamese dream and the double disc... and i'm totally in love with them again. i came up with this SAT analogy:

Fuzz is to Guitar as Billy Corgan's Voice is to Lead Vocals.

their fuzz sounds so perfect, and his voice compliments that tone in the best way possible.

i have a pumpkin boner right now, and you should too.

discuss.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

love Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, Gish and some off of Adore. heavily dislike the newer stuff. Billy has an enormous ego. I am thankful for them for introducing me to "weirder" kinds of music 12 years ago, back when I was mainly listening to mainstream crap.

• Members

SP is one of the few bands I feel sorry for.. they don't get to have a SP to listen to because they ARE SP.

I'm sure touring and playing those songs live and enjoying the fruit of labor is all well and good.. but growing up in a world where SP was on the radio and their videos were on MTV in my middle school years was priceless.

• Members

Adore is the greatest album ever made.

Don't know if I'd call it the greatest, but I think it's vastly underrated. The songwriting/lyrics on that album are absolutely amazing. I wish Billy had gone a little less nasally on some of the vocals and in the live versions, but I really love some of those tracks.

Front to back tho, SD has it for me, followed very very closely by Gish. I love the rawness of Gish, it breathes a little more than SD, but hearing it next to SD it does lack some bottom end, but the grooves on Gish... now that is a great album to ... umm ... well ya know.

• Members

SP is one of the few bands I feel sorry for.. they don't get to have a SP to listen to because they ARE SP.

i had to read that several times to get it... right on

i plugged the pumpkins into "last.fm" radio, and it keeps making me listen to "don't let go" on weezers green album.... does not want.

• Members

I'll concede that the new album is not as good as most of their work, but there's still some awesome stuff on there. That said, their live shows have been amazing lately, and most of the songs they've come up with after that album have been awesome. As for the car commercial song, the full version is much better but I think it's kind of weak compared to their last couple releases (although the production sounds more Pumpkins than it has recently).

• Members

Siamese Dream is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, as well as one of the best CD's to crank in your car on a road trip. They were a huge influence on my playing. Saw them in November on the 20th Anniversary tour. It was {censored}ing epic. :thu:

Best Pumpkins song ever:

[YOUTUBE]3Mn-3EqaO0E[/YOUTUBE]

Cool acoustic rendition of Rocket:

[YOUTUBE]rdBQOWFDzms[/YOUTUBE]

Soma at the show I attended (Massey Hall '08):

[YOUTUBE]1x_uGu1BOB0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

People often talk about how the new stuff isn't as good as the old stuff. It's a common complaint heard of good musicians.

The thing is, that's a result of an artist writing honestly. If the artist made music on demand their old stuff wouldn't be good to begin with.

Something interesting that is happening right now is Marilyn Manson writing an album with Twiggy that they promise will be very similar to ACS. Rich old guys trying to write an angry shock rock album probably won't come out well. We'll see. They claim to both be at points of misery in their lives, so who knows.

Another way of looking at it, it's a lot like your friends that get boring when they get married. They can't really dress like a slob and hang out all weekend playing video games and drinking any longer. If they tried to emulate the person they were in those days it would be annoying as {censored}.

Archived