Adrian Belew thought of all your coolest sounds before you

english_bob

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The fact that an Adrian Belew topic made it to two pages makes my pants very tight.

I had a long drive today and listened to his last 4 albums... Side 1-4. Lots of cool stuff in there, but Side 4 kills me. Such good {censored}.

• Members
Go for his latest release- "Side Four".

It's a live recording of his current Power Trio. He does Crimson and solo Belew stuff. It's become one of my favorite albums. Adrian's guitar playing and singing (I dig his voice almost as much as his guitar) is top notch, yet his band is so good, they almost over shaddow him.

SideFour.jpg

Dooo it.

Where might one buy this? Amazon doesn't have it.

• Members

But who's listening to him?

It's a good point. I'd never even heard of him before this thread. And I have a music collection of over 77,000 songs (292 gigs of music). I did find an album from King Crimson (I guess he's in that band?) on there, and don't really care for his sound.

Of course, music is always subject to opinion.

• Members
I did find an album from King Crimson (I guess he's in that band?) on there, and don't really care for his sound.

King Crimson were around for a long time before Belew joined in 1980(?). If it's prior to that, the sound you didn't care for belonged to Robert Fripp.
Actually, if you heard Belew-era Crimson, the sound you didn't care for may still have been Robert Fripp's.

If we're going to equate talent with the number of listeners an artist attracts, then it's true, you can't place Belew up there with "heavyweights" like Michael Jackson and Madonna. Maybe not even the Backstreet Boys :rolleyes:

• Members
Go for his latest release- "Side Four".

It's a live recording of his current Power Trio. He does Crimson and solo Belew stuff. It's become one of my favorite albums. Adrian's guitar playing and singing (I dig his voice almost as much as his guitar) is top notch, yet his band is so good, they almost over shaddow him.

SideFour.jpg

Dooo it.

Saw a free show they put on where they played pretty much that whole album. Totally blown away by it.

• Members
Adrian Belew just seems to love what he is doing in those videos...he's not out to impress anyone , he just derives pleasure from experimenting with sounds, he is the coolest !

When I saw him last summer opening for Zappa Plays Zappa (that's right, you heard right!), this is the exact thought I had. He looked like a kid having fun with his toys, and his fun was highly contagious! It was just amazing! Then, later, during the ZPZ set, he came to do his Dylan impression in "Flakes". Good times!

Finaly, if you spin these, you're listening to Belew!:

sheik_yerbouti-1.jpg

remaininlight.jpg

THRAK.jpg

tds.jpg

deadwing.jpg

• Members

Judging an Artist's importance by their popularity is pointless...it means greatness is connected to marketing and distribution. Now I'm no Communist but commodity and Art criticism are unrelated in my world. Adrian Belew cannot contain his joy when he plays...regardless of his sales! But what do I know I don't have any "gigs" of music...I collect vinyl.

• Members
Then, later, during the ZPZ set, he came to do his Dylan impression in "Flakes". Good times!

He told me that when they were recording that song, he was screwing around in the studio and sang it like Dylan, joking around. Frank made him do it permanently on tape because of that! :thu:

Archived