Dirt dilemma

scolfax

• Members

I'm looking for a distortion pedal. Or maybe another overdrive pedal. Here's my dilemma:

My band plays classic rock, with a few poppy tunes (U2, Springsteen). I have a Sunface for Jimi and Gilmour stuff. I have an OCD that I have use in LP mode for pretty low gain rhythm. I've tried several distortion pedals for lead parts (or when my band tells me I'm just not loud enough), but I haven't found a good one yet.

I have a Satchurator. I love Satriani, but to be honest I don't like *that* much gain for the music that we're playing. I have the gain all the way down and it's still a tiny bit too much. I admit, I bought the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive when all of the Timmy hype hit. I think it's really great for rhythm, but I like my OCD for that. So both of these are going. Not thick enough for lead for me.

I've been considering the Jekyll & Hyde. It looks pretty versatile and seems to get good reviews. On paper it seems like a good TS and modded DS-1 clone combined. I like the vids I've seen of the cmatmods Brownie. I'm also seriously considering another OCD in HP mode.

Part of my problem is that I'm having a hard time justifying spending over $130 total, which is what I can get when I sell my Satchurator and TOD.

• Members

this, and not necessarily to stack.

If you're running a SunFace, I'd recoment a treble booster for the solos. If you don't want to stack, I'd look into a used MI Audio Blues Pro or Blue Boy Deluxe, but the B first. The Crunch Box is a good pedal, but might be too much gain for what you need....especially since you don't like the Satchurator. A Barber Direct Drive would also be a good pedal. It's a glorified TS pedal, but will cut through very nicely. I used to run one with my OCD, but it sounds better on its own for lead work

• Members

MI Audio Crunch Box might solve your problem. OR, if you want to spend a tad more, get a Silverkiss. It's not too over the top, and it sounds awesome.

The Crunch Box is great, but it's really meant for high gain. If the Satchurator has too much gain for him, I'm positive that the Crunch Box won't work.

And the Silver Kiss is another good one, but I'm not sure that's what he's going for either. It's a good tone shaper, but if he likes the Brownie, then I'd say he's going more for a Marshall-y tone....... which the SK doesn't do.

So here's what I say:

The Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret should be rolling out here in a bit. Price is $160 used and from all accounts, it's really something worth looking at. So if you're patient -- if you're willing to wait a couple of months -- I'm sure you could land one in your price range. You might have to add a few more bucks to what you've got, but it looks like that pedal should be right up your alley. Versatile in the same way that your OCD is, achieving both OD and distortion tones, but likely with a different voicing... which should be nice for stacking.

What I'm really looking forward to though, is the Zvex Distortron. If you like the Brownie and the OCD, I'm sure you'd like the Zvex Box of Rock. I know (and so does everyone else) that I did. Only problem -- too much bass. So, what did ol' Vexxy do? He listened to what people wanted and is rolling out a cheaper version of the Box of Rock w/out a boost and w/ several more options.... including several 'bass cut' options and an increased gain range over the BoR, similar to the DLS...... only with the bass options.

I can't wait. It's $150 and in the same way as the DLS, if you wait it out a bit, or add a few more bucks to your stash..... you could land either one.

Just my .02.

16k posts!!

• Members

I like the vids I've seen of the cmatmods Brownie.

Part of my problem is that I'm having a hard time justifying spending over $130 total, .

Brownie is a very nice pedal, can do low OD stuff up to med/high gain, without adding too much compression. I managed to score a used one for about $75, IIRC. Great choice if you can get one.

• Members

I think you're OK with dirt, now's the time to look into a clean or treble boost.

Are you suggesting this to just make my rhythm sound louder?

I should have added that I run my pedals through a clean channel and rely on pedals for all of my dirt - my amp's not going to break up. Also, I generally don't like boosting the input of dirt pedals with other pedals. A slight overdrive into a distortion is fine, but more than that gets too muddy for me.

• Members

Are you suggesting this to just make my rhythm sound louder?

I should have added that I run my pedals through a clean channel and rely on pedals for all of my dirt - my amp's not going to break up. Also, I generally don't like boosting the input of dirt pedals with other pedals. A slight overdrive into a distortion is fine, but more than that gets too muddy for me.

Fuzz pedal + Treble boost = Solos being heard by everyone

• Members

i dont think my direct drive sounds like a toobscreamer at all except for on certain settings.

It's a TS-based circuit.

Hence the reason why it sounds like a TS on certain settings :poke:

• Members

Fuzz pedal + Treble boost = Solos being heard by everyone

I've never tried that, but it sounds like a great idea. Treble boost before after the fuzz? Any sound clips out there?

On a related note, it's a real pain enough to hit two switches to go from rhythm to lead. Imagine hitting three! (turn off OCD, turn on fuzz and treble boost). Guess I just need a switcher.

• Members

I've never tried that, but it sounds like a great idea. Treble boost before after the fuzz? Any sound clips out there?

On a related note, it's a real pain enough to hit two switches to go from rhythm to lead. Imagine hitting three! (turn off OCD, turn on fuzz and treble boost). Guess I just need a switcher.

Before, definitely.

You can run it into just the OCD as well!

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I know the OP doesn't like stacking the OCD into the TOD... but my lead tone's been an OCD into a Silverkiss. VERY smooth.

The trick to stackng is to run higher gain pedals INTO lower gain pedals that still have a good amount of headroom to spare.

Also, I agree with pbone... OLD THREAD IS OLD!

Archived