Compression pedal without all the noise??

dgc480

• Members

Hey so I'm looking for a good compression pedal. I've tried the Dynacomp and some nano pedal at Guitarcenter, and both of them add a TON of noise to the distortion channel, which I can't afford seeing as how I've already got a noise problem (single coils....).

So are there any compression/sustain pedals out there that are noiseless? I know the keeley pedal is supposed to be really good but is it still noisy? Thanks guys.

Dylan

• Members

Thanks, so I've been looking into optical compressors. Reviews say the BBE is really quiet, but that it is subtle, and I want a squishy tone...

I really like the sound of the dynacomp, but the noise is unbearable. Are there any optical compressors out there that would give me a dynacomp sound? Maybe the Aphex Punch Factory?

• Members

Hey so the tone press looks good, but I've read reviews saying it's noisy too. It's not optical is it?

I know I need to fix my noise problem first, but I don't know what to do. I'm running single coils through a Carvin MTS3200, and on the distortion it makes tons of noise. I have a NS-2 which works pretty well.

• Members

Compressors will ALWAYS add noise. In fact, they will amplify low level signals (as well as noise), and they'll reduce the amplitude of high level ones.

The only way to prevent this is to introduce some kind of gate / adaptative filtering, which cuts the sound when no note is played. It would be a relatively easy mod in DIY, but you've got to know pretty well the circuit involved.

I don't know which commercial units have got such a circuit. I believe the Visual Sound compressor has one.

• Members

Compressors will ALWAYS add noise. In fact, they will amplify low level signals (as well as noise), and they'll reduce the amplitude of high level ones.

agreed. there are several recommendations of good compressors in this thread but it is still dependent to a good degree on other variable i.e. noise added from other pedals/guitar shielding etc.

is your rig noisy without the compressor? what pedals are you already using? how are you powering them? what guitar?

• Members

If you want squishy then stay away from optical comps. NOT ALL COMPS ADD NOISE. Really the amount of mis-information thrown out on this forum is pretty amazing, I couldn't even bear to continue reading the thread on analog delay's. Anyhow, what all comps do is reduce the dynamic range of the signal making quiet all things loud and making loud all things quiet.

Get a quality comp and it should not introduce any new noise into your chain, use your comp early in your chain and that will reduce the amount of noise that is amplified. Distortion and overdrive are also compressors and will amplify noise as well, even more than a clean compressor because they are also distorting the signal.

Want squishy - BJFE Pine Green - Barber Tone Press - Keeley. I would plug my own comp but that is optical and most definately not super squishy, and it's not noisy at all.

Archived