I'm downsizing my pedalboard...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

• Members

hey Fender&EHX4ever, how is your bullet compared to other fenders you got. i've been gasing for my second guitar for quite a while. tele, esquire, jaguar hh, the new squire duo-sonic, and some hollow-body's... i haven't decided yet, plus i'm broke at present. :cry: but i noticed that these go fairly reasonable price-wise especially for vintage fenders.

• Members

hey Fender&EHX4ever, how is your bullet compared to other fenders you got. i've been gasing for my second guitar for quite a while. tele, esquire, jaguar hh, the new squire duo-sonic, and some hollow-body's... i haven't decided yet, plus i'm broke at present.
:cry:
but i noticed that these go fairly reasonable price-wise especially for vintage fenders.

I'm probably not the best person to ask because I'm not much of a guitar connoisseur, and my opinion of the Bullet is somewhat biased for sentimental reasons.

I know Phil used to own more than one of them, and he once commented that he loved the neck on the Bullet. The neck on the '83 models is unique among all guitars in the Fender catalog - very thin and easy on the hand.

The body of the guitar is much smaller and lighter than other Fender guitars. There is no contour in it. I'm not sure what kind of wood was used. Possibly basswood, but I've never found a definitive answer.

How does it compare to my Tele, Mustang, or Jagmaster? First off, all 4 guitars sound completely different from each other. The Bullet is notable for its bridge position sounding the brightest of any ot the tones among the 4 guitars. The Tele is also bright, as you would expect, but the Tele is a top loader, so it has a sort of papery quality to the tone that the Bullet doesn't have.

Also, having a 5-way selector switch makes it very versatile. All 5 settings are very usable. That's no small thing, considering I only use 1/3 of the settings on my Mustang, and only 2/3 of the settings on my Jagmaster.

The CBS period of Fender is highly criticized in general for making shoddy products; but I've heard more than a few times from Fenderites that the Bullet series was one of the best products to come out of that period. Considering I've owned it since '83, I've gigged, rehearsed, and recorded with it, and I've never had any issues with it, that must say something ;)

• Members

Is that a...Deluxe Big Muff?

Indeed it is. The Deluxe BMP was introduced around 1978, so it used the IC circuit like the Tone Bypass models. It integrates a Soul Preacher compressor/sustainer that can be used in parallel with the BMP. There is a volume knob for both the SP and the BMP, so it acts like a 2 channel mixer allowing you to blend the two signals for a custom mix of clean and fuzz tones - very useful if you want your fuzz to have a bit more definition, or if you want a background fuzz to your clean tone.

note: a later model of the Dlx BMP (~1981) added a Series/Parallel switch so you had the option to run the Soul Preacher in front of the BMP for ridiculous sustain.

Archived