My pastor told me my pedalboard is obscean

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So essentially it's a pick & choose religion. Pick out all the good bits that are popular and leave out all the unpleasant stuff that people don't like or find a bit dated - convenient. Some might think they were just making it up as they went along.

Absolutely not. You have to know what it is you're reading. The whole old testament is the jewish tradition, christians does not abide to it in anyway, but since christianity grew out of judaism it's still important to understand it, and therefore it's still in the bible. The important things in the bible are Jesus's teachings, closely followed by what the apostles say, everything else is peripheral but usefull for understanding the important parts. Also, since the bible was written by people in a specific time period (some people says that the bible was written by god, wich I don't believe) and therefore we have to wear the proverbial historical glasses to understand some parts, that can seem like we're picking and choosing what we want.

• Members

So, what religious texts have you read? Or are you one of those athiests who reads the pamphlet and jumps on the bandwagon?

I haven't read the whole bible as i have implied, and i will be completely honest with you and say that i haven't had much to do with it since i was a school kid, when christianity was just an accepted part of the school system, which it isn't today in the UK. It was part of my general education as a child. Back then (the 70s) it was just part of British school life, you said your prayers, sang the hymns and it was generally understood that everyone was christian and believed in god.

My lack of belief doesn't stem from any particular texts for or against, it comes from there being absolutely no solid evidence for a creator god whatsoever.

The more i have learned about the natural world, about evolution, the history of the earth (not human history). About astronomy and science etc etc the more i find there to be no need for a creator god.

In my view the existence of a god is not necessary, i obviously cannot prove to myself or anyone else the non existence of something but in my opinion i find the probability of a creator god highly unlikely (not impossible, just highly unlikely), no bandwagon or pamphlets necessary.

Edit: If i have offended any of the christians in this thread with my posts then i appologise, that was not my intention and i only posted for a bit of fun. Despite my lack of belief i am quite happy to live and let live, i just get a little carried away sometimes.

• Members

Edit: If i have offended any of the christians in this thread with my posts then i appologise, that was not my intention and i only posted for a bit of fun. Despite my lack of belief i am quite happy to live and let live, i just get a little carried away sometimes.

None offence taken. Many years ago I could have been offended if someone said that the point of religion was to control people, but after years of debating religion online I don't react to stuff like that anymore. I could continue to point out more things in your line of reasoning that I disagree with, but I think that we would both be happier if we stopped the debate now.

• Members

You guys are sort of going off on this ... if he was told to leave after saying "WTF" then that's an acronym for something you don't say in church, just goes w/ the territory I think. The suggestive but not profane pedal names are, irritatingly, a possible problem and a possible (additional) argument against playing there, but more a gray area.

• Members

You guys are sort of going off on this ... if he was told to leave after saying "WTF" then that's an acronym for something you don't say in church, just goes w/ the territory I think. The suggestive but not profane pedal names are, irritatingly, a possible problem and a possible (additional) argument against playing there, but more a gray area.

hes a total hypicrit though. Like we live in an area with a lot of homeless people and I hear him swearing at them all the time. Like one day after service there was sleeping under a tree in the courtyard cause it was raining and he was all like "please leave or I'll call the police" so the guy was drunk or whatever, so he just told the pastor to f-off. Anyway what he does is he unrolls the guys sleeping bag and throws it in the parking lot and says NOw go get it. I've told you a hundred times this isn't woodstock find a shelter! I mean people get angry a bunch be he would totally ignore it if he didn't have it out for us. His deal is he wants a band to help draw youth to the events but its like he doesn't want to deal with the fact were not all prefect mormons or something. Like we're not even catholics theres no reason for him to be so rigid

• Members

His deal is he wants a band to help draw youth to the events but its like he doesn't want to deal with the fact were not all prefect
mormons
or something. Like we're not even catholics theres no reason for him to be so rigid

How could this thread die after he drops this bomb on us?

So, are you a mormon or what?

• Members

I haven't read the whole bible as i have implied, and i will be completely honest with you and say that i haven't had much to do with it since i was a school kid, when christianity was just an accepted part of the school system, which it isn't today in the UK. It was part of my general education as a child. Back then (the 70s) it was just part of British school life, you said your prayers, sang the hymns and it was generally understood that everyone was christian and believed in god.

My lack of belief doesn't stem from any particular texts for or against, it comes from there being absolutely no solid evidence for a creator god whatsoever.

The more i have learned about the natural world, about evolution, the history of the earth (not human history). About astronomy and science etc etc the more i find there to be no need for a creator god.

In my view the existence of a god is not necessary, i obviously cannot prove to myself or anyone else the non existence of something but in my opinion i find the probability of a creator god highly unlikely
(not impossible, just highly unlikely)
, no bandwagon or pamphlets necessary.

Damn dude, you've really missed the point. I hate to put it so bluntly, but dude. The whole point of faith is that you can't logically or empirically prove or disprove God. If there were evidence that God existed, why would there be any nonbelievers? I mean, I guess someone could say that the universe is evidence of God's existence, but that's their case to make.

But really, if you're looking for "proof" that God exists, you're never going to find it.

• Members

This thread = win.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't decided not to buy a SHO based primarily on the name (also on the price and lack of availability, but mostly on the name). Guess that's why they made the Super Duper 2-in-1! I find it perfectly ironic, though, that your pastor loves doing body shots off of the girls but is so terribly offended by a pedal that's "super hard on" your amp's input... that's what it means, right? Right? :)

The church is full of broken people. It's our greatest asset and our greatest weakness.

• Members

Damn dude, you've
really
missed the point. I hate to put it so bluntly, but dude. The whole point of faith is that you can't logically or empirically prove or disprove God. If there were evidence that God existed, why would there be any nonbelievers? I mean, I guess someone could say that the universe is evidence of God's existence, but that's their case to make.

But really, if you're looking for "proof" that God exists, you're never going to find it.

No pbone i really have not missed the point. I realise that the whole point is 'faith' and that you cannot prove it one way or another. My point is that personally this is not enough for me. when someone tells me flat out that there is a god then i cannot just accept it as they do without some evidence, that there isn't and never will be any evidence and i'm just supposed to have 'faith' and accept it just doesn't work for me. Dude.

If someone said to me that fairies are real, my first and natural reaction would be to ask for proof. If i was then told that you can't logically or empirically prove or disprove fairies, you just have to have 'faith' i would feel a little cheated.

• Members

So I have a woman tone and a super duper hard on. Today my pastor brought me some ice juice and he said what I neat bunch of boxes I had. So I was showing him my strobostomp and he was all I dno't not approve of those pedals , please remove them from gods house

so I was like no one can see them WTF? so he said that swearing is bad even in anagram form and told me to pack up and leave

wtf?

Your pastor has a perverse mind. For that he's a hypocrite and shouldn't even be a pastor. He needs to {censored} off.

• Members

Damn dude, you've
really
missed the point. I hate to put it so bluntly, but dude. The whole point of faith is that you can't logically or empirically prove or disprove God. If there were evidence that God existed, why would there be any nonbelievers? I mean, I guess someone could say that the universe is evidence of God's existence, but that's their case to make.

100% agreement, and I am a believer.

Pbone's had some good posts in this thread.

• Members

I'm not interested in starting another fight about this, but no. Religion is not always about control. Sadly, too often it ends up there, a set of rigid rules, but that's not the point of religion at al, even if it may seem like that.

Yes it is. The point is controlling people.

• Members

The whole brunt of Jesus' message was that the ten commandments
absolutely were not
a set of "ten rigid rules." The Ten Commandments are supposed to be something of a mirror to hold up to yourself and say "am I the kind of person that does these kind of things?" The New Testament is allllllllll about trying to tell the Jews at the time that viewing the Ten Commandments into a check list is a surefire way to misunderstand God's message and fail to become a better person. In fact, this is where I think Christianity is the most beautiful: you must change and understand yourself to understand love, not killing your neighbor every day isn't going to make you a "good Jew."

I don't think they talk about that on the pamphlet though. Maybe on the backside.

You make a good point, unfortunately,

• Members

Damn dude, you've
really

Faith is believing in spite of evidence. The basis of your argument is non-overlapping magisteria, which states that science and religion are unable to brought together in anyway. Unfortunately, religions are happy to try to trample all over science, thus stating that religion and science are not separate magisteria.

• Members

Faith is believing in spite of evidence. The basis of your argument is non-overlapping magisteria, which states that science and religion are unable to brought together in anyway. Unfortunately, religions are happy to try to trample all over science, thus stating that religion and science are not separate magisteria.

Stephen Jay Gould'd.

Archived