Swollen Pickle vs. Big Muff tone wicker

• Members

I'm about to pull the trigger on my first muff style fuzz. I'm really, really interested in the swollen pickle judging from the online clips, seems very versatile. But I also keep hearing the Big Muff tone w/ Tone Wicker is pretty badass, and a lot cheaper as well. I basically want a muff that is versatile, not just a one-trick pony.

any ideas?

• Members

I haven't heard the Swollen pickle in person, supposed to be good. Same with the Musket. I do own, and recommend the Muff w/TW. Very good muff, regardless of price. It is a bit more versatile - in fact if you turn the tone off (where I keep it most of the time), and turn the sustain totally counter clockwise, you end up with more of an overdrive, light fuzz tone. Kinda neat and odd. The wicker switch adds some noise, and works best with a neck humbucker, but gives it some variety too.

But I like to lay waste with the tone off, and the sustain at least half way or more. Sounds great, especially with a little delay, can cop some nice Gilmourish tones.

• Members

Out of those two get the Swollen Pickle. What kind of music will you be using it for? I haven't played the Musket but the clips sound great, everyone seems to like it and Kyle (I think thats his name) is a good guy. So you can't go wrong there either. I just love the Pickle because it sounds so huge. I had all the fuzz tones I wanted covered except that really massive stoner sound. The Pickle nails that and can do alot more but thats really all I use it for.

• Members

I had a Swollen Pickle but flipped it quick, it sounded too processed IMO. I tried the Tone Wicker briefly at a store and thought it wasn't bad and is priced pretty well.

I've heard that before too. I don't know too many people who have been disappointed by the Muff w/tw. I had the Bass Big Muff too, and a modded Russian muff (very good too), but the TW version is the best.

• Members

IME -- that "hugeness" is great in the bedroom...... not so fantastic live.

I found the opposite. It can be a little gated sounding at normal volumes (which is like, .01 on the volume knob for the Pickle. It's a loud pedal). But once you can get it to gig levels, really opens up the pedal. Especially if you tweak it to sound more Fuzzface-ish.

I

• Members

Tonewicker FTW, its the best muff ever made IMO. the pickle is a tweaked muff clone and I'm not a fan of muff clones when you can have the real deal for less, even a vintage 1322 or 3034.

The wicker muff sounds totally cool anyways, it cant be beat IMO.

• Members

forprecription,

The new MK2 Swollen Pickle offers up tons of tone shaping. It's a giant Jumbo Fuzz bigger sounding in person then any Muff ever made. :thu:

If your really forprescription, i have 2 Prescription Fuzz Pedals on page 2 of the Spam Thread. :cool:

• Members

It only sounds bigger cause the tonestacvk is really scooped, the input/output caps are identical to the NYC muffs. The scoop sounds good in the bedroom but live it will be all but {censored}ing useless.

of course you can dial out the scoop but them you loose some of that big sound.

• Members

I considered getting a Swollen Pickle when i purchased my Fat Sandwich but decided against it because there was to much overlap, fuzz wise, with my Zoom Ultra Fuzz, EHX Micro Synth and Teaser Stallion. Normally i would take an EHX pedal over others but in this case, between those two, I say get The Swollen Pickle.

But if you want to be asked to sit at the cool kids table i would get the Musket. Its this seasons Black my friend. So sheik!

• Members

Blah blah blah. I've played several times on STAGE with TheHarakiriEnd and our full band using the Swollen Pickle through a bassman and his Dr. Z and even when not scooped it's huge. It's thick, fat and it cuts through fine. It does not sound processed at all nor is it only usable at bedroom volumes.

Now I have not tried/heard a tone wicker(but have tried several russian, LBM, NY, and several clones - most are one trick ponies) so I can't speak for it but making up lies about the Swollen Pickle is juvenile.

I'm sure both pedals sound great. I would suggest trying them out or if you don't have an opportunity, then go listen to tons of clips before making a purchase.

OR just ignore everything said here and do what everyone else on here does and just buy buy buy and flip flip flip.

• Members

Depending on what sound you're looking for, you may not even need a Tone Wicker. I have a classic NYC Pi and I'd take it over the Tone Wicker just because I prefer the classic sound over any other variations the Tone Wicker offer. Consider that.

• Members

The tone wicker IS a stock NYC muff when all the switches arent activated.

Oh, I know. I just wouldn't need anything that's on the Tone Wicker that the NYC has. The NYC is just cheaper, so why pay more for something you don't need? I'm satisfied.

Archived