Swollen Pickle vs. Big Muff tone wicker

• Members

Things seem divided here. I don't own either, but have played through both. SP is more versatile, but it just seems to be lacking ... something, like the "meanness" that the TWMuff has (it's a Pi with an extra switch--not rocket science).

My fuzz is Devi Ever, so I kinda like things extreme when I go from OD to fuzz, but in this instance, I dig the more traditional sound, so I'd go with the Muff.

I would see if you could get a Guitar Center or something near you to order both (if they'll do it w/o making you pay)... the one near me has both the SP and TW last time I checked. I'd A/b them. Your ears will serve you better than people's words when it's as even as this.

• Members

Have you played a Tone/Wicker?

I have not. It looks pretty cool, and the clips I've heard have been good, but if I'd be more apt to shell out $165 for a Musket than I would $160 for a Pickle.

Don't get me wrong -- both are nice pedals, but I liked the features/sound of the Musket better. The Pickle was MASSIVE sounding, but I preferred the Musket. YMMV. And then again, my Ernie killed them both. :lol:

Plus, Kyle is a real nice dude.

• Members

i had a dream about the tone wicker muff last night. it was amazing and covered all sorts of sounds from tight almost-distortion to over the top fuzz.

blatantly not going ot live up to dream-expectations. also, must stop foruming right before i go to bed.

• Members

i had a dream about the tone wicker muff last night. it was amazing and covered all sorts of sounds from tight almost-distortion to over the top fuzz.

blatantly not going ot live up to dream-expectations. also, must stop foruming right before i go to bed.

Haha, I've had dreams about muff too, oh wait, you're talking pedals again, I get confused so early in the morning...

• Members

What you need is the MegaMuff--bias control, 2 clipping threshold knobs, stock/ 1N4007/ germanium 1N34A/ LED diode switches, tone stack lift and another tone switch. This thing is badass, the bias control gets you alot of highs/ mids within the regular tone configuration and alot of blown out sounds--you can keep the scoop, but add in some highs to cut through a mix.

megamuff.jpg

• Members

I'd go with the swollen pickle. It's a great pedal and sounds absolutely massive in the bedroom and live. Plug it into an old Showman or Ampeg and shake the walls.

The SP is a very modern sounding high gain muff imo. I'm not sure how well it would work for classic rock muff tones or melodic lead playing.

I think there are a few different groups of people into muffs and it can cause some confusion when people don't mention what style of music they want to use it with.

Archived