Skreddy Pig Mine Update

Aaron SS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
sweet. glad to hear its more on the mayo side and not the pink flesh side... since i don't have a mayo anymore and i just got a pink flesh back
;)

I didn't mention the Mayo in my news update; I was comparing the tone to the Mayonaise, which was a strict clone of a triangle-knob version. The Mayo is made with transistors of a newer vintage than the Mayonaise and it's also hot-rodded, which gives it a more aggressive response and a deeper mid scoop than the Mayonaise.

The old triangle-knob Big Muffs used transistors that are amazingly creamy, with a very fine grain to their distortion. This gives them a thick character, which contains lots of midrange. The coupling capacitors in the old originals were all .1uf ceramic discs, which adds to the creaminess and also keeps the bass and treble frequencies from getting out of control. So even though the old triangle-knob version had a mid scoop in the tone stack, it nevertheless maintains a solid basic tone rich in mids.

The Pig Mine doesn't sound exactly like either a Pink Flesh or a Mayo. I have the Pig Mine dialed in with what is very nearly the same tone stack as the Pink Flesh, but it's only slightly more full in the mids (in the "lean" position) than my old Mayonaise (which of course features the original BMP tone stack). You can thicken up the mids by switching the tone stack to "fat" of course. This simple option combined with the three knobs opens up a lot of versatility, and I think will handle lots of different performance and recording situations very well. Even the extreme clockwise knob setting is useful on this thing; it never gets ice-picky thin or fizzy. And in the extreme counter-clockwise position, the tone stack still presents enough detail to be usable.

It's no big deal that I've released yet another Muff clone, obviously (though some might find it good news that I've finally got one back on the main menu after over a year off). The big deal is that I've finally done a classic Muff design that I love and that uses no antique or obscure parts. Well, it's a big deal to me. If I had run this track before, doubtless I'd have released fewer models over the years.

• Members
The big deal is that I've finally done a classic Muff design that I love and that uses no antique or obscure parts. Well, it's a big deal to me. If I had run this track before, doubtless I'd have released fewer models over the years.

Does that mean you didn't love the other muffs you made?

• Members

Does that mean you didn't love the other muffs you made?

Actually no. I love all of 'em! Each has its own personality and specific focus. I wish I would've come up with a great design a long time ago, though, that I didn't have to discontinue due to parts supplies drying up.

• Members

you know nothing.

come back when you are done living in 2007

Come back when you get your Timmy and we'll see who's living in 2007.

He's been telling everyone forever 4 months and it's usually twice that long. Not trying to piss anyone off, just telling the truth.

I called and ordered on 4/14/08 and my paypal account shows I paid for it on 12/27/08. I hope for your sake it's shorter now, but I don't think so.

• Members
I didn't mention the Mayo in my news update; I was comparing the tone to the Mayonaise, which was a strict clone of a triangle-knob version. The Mayo is made with transistors of a newer vintage than the Mayonaise and it's also hot-rodded, which gives it a more aggressive response and a deeper mid scoop than the Mayonaise.

The old triangle-knob Big Muffs used transistors that are amazingly creamy, with a very fine grain to their distortion. This gives them a thick character, which contains lots of midrange. The coupling capacitors in the old originals were all .1uf ceramic discs, which adds to the creaminess and also keeps the bass and treble frequencies from getting out of control. So even though the old triangle-knob version had a mid scoop in the tone stack, it nevertheless maintains a solid basic tone rich in mids.

The Pig Mine doesn't sound exactly like either a Pink Flesh or a Mayo. I have the Pig Mine dialed in with what is very nearly the same tone stack as the Pink Flesh, but it's only slightly more full in the mids (in the "lean" position) than my old Mayonaise (which of course features the original BMP tone stack). You can thicken up the mids by switching the tone stack to "fat" of course. This simple option combined with the three knobs opens up a lot of versatility, and I think will handle lots of different performance and recording situations very well. Even the extreme clockwise knob setting is useful on this thing; it never gets ice-picky thin or fizzy. And in the extreme counter-clockwise position, the tone stack still presents enough detail to be usable.

It's no big deal that I've released yet another Muff clone, obviously (though some might find it good news that I've finally got one back on the main menu after over a year off). The big deal is that I've finally done a classic Muff design that I love and that uses no antique or obscure parts. Well, it's a big deal to me. If I had run this track before, doubtless I'd have released fewer models over the years.

Sounds good to me! Can't wait to hit the Buy Now button! :)

• Members
Actually no. I love all of 'em! Each has its own personality and specific focus. I wish I would've come up with a great design a long time ago, though, that I didn't have to discontinue due to parts supplies drying up.

marc......you da man. keep doing what you do. cause every one of your pedals i have owned or tried has been GOOD.

as far as the waitlist goes, THATS HOW IT GOES. you get on the list and you wait. but for builders like Skreddy, BJF, DAM, and others of their caliber, it's worth the wait :cool:

someone told me they just got an expected delivery time of 2014 for a DAM pedal :lol:

• Members
someone told me they just got an expected delivery time of 2014 for a DAM pedal
:lol:

Haha for the fuzz sound? I think the DAM dude said they won't take nearly as long as the quoted times, but since they are made in such small batches he didn't want to get hopes up.

I've been waiting for the sonic titan list to open for a while now...but a pig mine will do just nicely :thu:

• Members
Haha for the fuzz sound? I think the DAM dude said they won't take nearly as long as the quoted times, but since they are made in such small batches he didn't want to get hopes up.

I've been waiting for the sonic titan list to open for a while now...but a pig mine will do just nicely
:thu:

yes, something like that....i loved it. 2014.......sounds like science fiction novel or something :lol:

Archived